What's new

1 Pound per plant under 1000W HPS?

How easy would it be to yield 1 pound per plant under a 1000W HPS with a Waterfarm?

Would a WF be too small to support a plant that size? It'd be grown as a tree: no SCROG or LST.

What about growing 3 plants under two 1000W lamps, getting a yield of 1 pound each plant? Is that a reasonable yield as well?

If I were to do grow that large, I'd definitely not go over 2000 watts. BEsides, if I could expect 3 pounds per harvest, I'd be a happy camper. So would my friends. :hotbounce

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
tag...good question and Thaniel, nice! how large of a plant is 10z in a WF? was it scrog or lst or what? thanks

G

1 pound= 448 grams so youd be lucky to get 2 lbs from a 1000 W lamp. If youre wanting 3 lbs then youll have to get more light in there. Even with 2000 watts youll have to be a good grower to get 3 lbs. 3 lbs with a 2000W light would put you at about .68 g/watt. Most growers are lucky to get .5 g/watt. Good luck with whatever you do.

G

You'd definately have to have the right genetics to do that,you wont do it with most indoor strains.I get an lb per 1K but with 12 plants usually

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I guess anything is possible but these were vegged for 1 1/2 months under a 1000 watter on a mover in 3 1/2 buckets and each yielded 1/4 lb per plant dry. C02 might help get ya to that lbs per plant but if ya do man I gotta see it those will be some trees.

Mr.Wags

Thaniel

The Dopest,

So Quick's AK99. It was definitely a tree, and it was in veg for damn near 2 months if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can come up with a photo.

Anyone know if SQ has been around here lately?

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind 1 plant per 1000W lamp, provided I can get an even pound (or more!) out of each plant.

Given the 2-gallon capacity of a WF, I'm just concerned that the bucket won't be big enough to support a root system big enough to produce a one-pund-yielding plant.

I suppose I could build a *bigger* DWC system which would allow the plants to grow bigger. But, if they'll be able to get big enough with a WF, why go to the hassle of making something I don't need? heh.

Anyone with practical experience growing trees under 1k bulbs?

I'm confident I could get 1 pound per plant, but I'd like to hear from someone who's done it before and wat to expect in terms of DWC size requirements and it other techniques are better suited to get 1 pound per light (thanks, Skeletor- did you grow from clones? on an ebb-and-flow table? grow in soil? do you have a diary you could link to?)

I'm planning on buying a house soon and I'll be setting up a space for a sizable grow; these C13 grows aren't quite doing it for me anymore...

NorCalRx

It all comes down to how many colas you can train to fit under your hood's light footprint. With enough experience in training your plants and finding what distance from the light works better you can yield a LB off of a 400w on a light mover if you wanted! If you ask the yield question the only true answer youre going to get is "no youre not gonna yield a ton" because youre new and you have no proven growing method yet.

Last edited:

NorCalRx

Sea of green still rules... it has the most crop stability and the least amount of training/trimming and the fastest harvest time not to mention you have tons of nice fat main colas. Oh and by the way you could be a grow pimp and if you have ditchweed genetics you wont get anything worthwhile.

G

Yea Krusty I grow blockhead clones and flower in 2 gallon pots usually getting 1 1/2 oz per plant with 3 vertizontals I usually have about 35-40 plants.

I grew 2 plants, "Bigbud and NLxHaze," and it was damn near 1lb. It was grown under 1k hps.

Its possible but you will need experience with the genetics.

Oshz

-=WZ=-

Like a lot of people said genetics will play a big part. I could easily do it with my Ortega cut, BUT you have to get an Ortega clone (Not easy). LUI would be a nice option for you if yield is your goal.

Last edited:
I'd go with Serious Seeds' Chronic to maximize yield.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the # of plants to a minimum, but if the reality is that I must go with several plants, then I'm resigned to going with a DWC/Rez, or ebb and flow system. I saw one thread on here where a guy got 1 lb using a 4'x4' ebb and flow under 1000W, with 16 plants.

Not bad.

BlindDate

Veteran
I get 1-2 lbs from a 1000 watter all the time growing Big Bud. Veg it for 5 weeks and tie up the branches!

I'm contemplating going one of two setups:

1) Use switchable ballasts and have one grow area for veg and flower. Use 2 lights and grow 2 plants. this would reduce the number of harvests, but increase annual yield, compared to setup 2.

2) Have one 1000W light in a veg area to grow one plant, and have one 1000W light in a flower area to flower one plant. This would create a perpetual harvest, increaseing the number of harvests, but reducuing the annual yield.

Hmmm...

Well, make that 3 setups I'm contemplating...

I may be able to use a 3rd light and do a hybrid of the above. Use 3 lights: one 1000W light to partially veg 2 plants for, say, half its veg growth, then move them to the final grow/flower area and finish their veg and flower under the two 1000W lights. This may be able to cut down on the veg time of the veg/flower room, increasing annual yield.

Or put another way, while I have 2 plants a month into flowering under 2 lights, I fire up the 3rd 1000W light to start vegging 2 more plants. Then, when the 2 flowering plants are harvested, I can move the 2 veggging plants to the 2-lamp room and finish the veg stage, then switch the lights to the flower stage when they have gotten big enough. Then, about 4-5 weeks into flowering, I start 2 more plants in the 1-lamp room.

This would allow for an extra couple of harvests per year, I believe.

What are your thoughts on the above?

Is a 2000W or 3000W grow in a residential house safe?

BlindDate said:
Tell us what the size of your rooms are. Why only 2 plants?

Well, I don't have a room set aside for this yet. I'm planning on buying a house and making a 2000-3000W setup when I get a house.

Right now, I have no room dimensions available.

The reason I want only 2 plants is to limit my legal liability.

The urban legends I have heard is that you want to keep a grow to 3 or fewer plants. So, I figure I would err on the side of caution and grow 2 at a time.

Granted, I'd be up to 4+ with the 3000W setup, but ideally, I'd only have 2 plants growing at a time.