What's new

1 Plant, 1 Light, 1 Lb. Goal

*mistress*

Veteran
*mistress* said:
1k's can get 2-6" away - if air circulation +good...
Sorry, not to be riding your balls but I once again have to call bullshit. Please show a picture of a plant 2 inches away from a 1k. I don't care if you have the best air circulation, there is no way that plant won't bleach.

You don't seem to have any experience in indoor gardening so I'm not sure why you keep giving advice. But then again there's a lot that I don't understand about the internet. :confused:
respect to thread starter FloJo...

dont be 'sorry' for riding cl*t of *mistress*...
just fight the urge to do it... & dont... troll...

no, dont post pics of imaginary garden...
bare bulb 1k's are not new technique... the plant will decide how close it wants to be to light.

not many tree gardeners around ic now... used to be plenty...

the only limitation for closeness of light is temp of the light...

btw, what exactly does Rolando Mota mean by 'bleaching'? please detail this process...

this is open forum on internet... gardeners select which threads they read, & which methods they will apply.
& the techniques they will not use...

'experience', though subjective, can lead to conclusion that 1k's can be 2-6" away from plants... in imaginary garden; w/ voracious laminar & turbulent air flows... several fans on 24/7... ac, etc, etc...

generally, see bottom of page...
This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
-icmag.
viewers draw own conclusions about techniques...

while 1k's are normally kept 1 foot away, the plants decide to grow into them - if have large trees... a plant can regulate its temp so that leaves are 5*f below ambient air temps... transpiration... since water vapor can be held in hot air, lots of air circulation - up/down/diagonally - carries hot air & moisture (water vapor, aka/eg, 'rh') away...

yes, member Rolando Mota, there is a lot not understood... by Rolando Mota...

krusty, no-one & acry4help did not have nice pic-nics together... so, experiences differ... but ea had own measure of success w/ trees...

but, posting
Sorry, not to be riding your balls but I once again have to call bullshit.
1) *mistress* has no balls to ride... 2) 1k's 2-6" away from plants is not bullshit - your post is...

there are many others from days when ic had lots of tree grows... is forgotten art now... except for the few that preserve the tech...

maybe h.g.c. will chime in...:wave:

but, this may help... a world-class lady tree gardener... same bare-bulb 1ks that many used to use... older thread. not really reply to Rolando Mota, but to provide visuals of excellent tree grow to thread starter FloJo...

For T.K.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=88069&postcount=1

&

a too big closet tree - the tree hugger
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=20620

enjoy your garden!

sneaky101

looking forward to seeing the finished results FLo. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my next grow except using DWC instead of coco. I'm hoping to get 12-14oz off of 2 plants (just a figure i pulled out of my a$$). From what I'm reading, possible. My strains will be AK-47 and SourSaver. Your friend of a friend's grow makes my mouth water looking at all those tops of AK!

Good luck on your grow.

FLoJo

thanks sneaky!

they are all pics of a friend of a friends, sisters brother-in-laws friends grow... im just the messanger ya dig!! :smokeit:

lol but yea its looking really promising as of now.. this strain is a beast!

and mistress... that grow by foaf was effing crazy!! lol love the trees tho!

and what rolando is talking about is light bleaching.. it occurs when the inner temperature of the leaf overheats and basically destroys the chlorophyl making the tops of the leaves and the plants a bright white or deep yellow color.. ive seen it a few times when some growers forget to move their lights up with a very quick stretchy strain hehe...

while i do believe that having a 1k about 6 inches away is possible, it requires lower temps and no hoods... the hoods trap radiant heat which then is conducted down onto plants, even with air cooling.. when you have bare bulbs convection allows the heat to be moved away much more efficiently.. so i would say the closest i could comfortably get without water cooling, and keeping them healthy, with coverage to the outer edges would be about 8 inches.. thank you for all of your input!!

peace

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
When I run my 4-station DWC w/reservoir, it's with a vertical kool-tube and the plants touch the fixture. If you have the air movement you can get them fairly close. Haven't run a 1000 watter in there in years (gave it away to a stoner in deep need). My point being that I got some bleaching of foliage, but it did wonders for canopy penetration and buddage.

FloJo, that's a real good looking program you have there. Don't be sidetracked; this is a great grow and I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I don't know about you, but I'm holding out for whirled peas.

FLoJo

thanks mpd

whirled peas.. lol donno if i caught that one..

this is just the "test tent" hopefully a strain can be chosen and a method of growing for the new grow room that will be put up in the next 6 months.. i think this plant will surprise everyone.. it tends to get much bigger buds than i have seen on most gdps, while still retaining the taste, color, and potency that everyone loves.. its a FREAK!

BTW a pound is only .74 grams a watt for his 600 watt setup,or .75 for a tad over a lb. I really do not see a problem with that.How bout we give him props for his effort. I am sure he can do it. Pullin up a chair.:tree:

FLoJo

thanks for the support guys.. ive seen people pull well over a lb out of a 600 with plants who are not even as healthy as my fine young lady.. i dont think it will be a problem.. i just want to make sure this strain is capable of doing what i believe it can, which is a 1lb plant with a little veg time, and in coco...

if she can, then i KNOW i can pull 1lb per plant (avg) with a 4 week veg, in a RDWC system, with 10 gallons of root space, 3600w and co2.. ill upload a pic of my design for yall

FLoJo

so basically how this works is each 6 plants will have a danner 100 pushing mad air into the bottom with 8 inch stones.. there will be a 2000+gph pump in the 13th bucket, which will create a waterfall effect into the aeration bucket (the one farthest to the right)

the aeration bucket will have a danner 60 with several large airstones, and a top off valve, and a constant ph ppm meter.

each bucket will be a 10 gallon brute trashcan, with 3in pvc running through the bottoms sealed with uniseals.. also working on designs for some kind of mesh screen to keep the roots from clogging the system and swallowing the air discs.

this is basically a vertical version of the undercurrent, with more root space, more aeration, more water movement, and larger res capacity... and costs about 1200 bux plus a little blood n sweat
any questions, or comments, please ask!

RDWC Vert.jpg

*mistress*

Veteran
nice!...
so basically how this works is each 6 plants will have a danner 100 pushing mad air into the bottom with 8 inch stones.. there will be a 2000+gph pump in the 13th bucket, which will create a waterfall effect into the aeration bucket (the one farthest to the right)
lasko/stanley type blower, stepped down w/ pvc &/or ducting to 1" pvc inserted from top into buckets... can eliminate individual air pums & diffusers...
the aeration bucket will have a danner 60 with several large airstones, and a top off valve, and a constant ph ppm meter.
air stones are ok... but a simple inline fan, capped-off & 1/2"-1" poly/vinyl/pvc will work too... no air stones to clog, etc...

just insert the hose/pipe into the top of the bucket, slightly beneath surface of water inside container. bubbles will come out... not the lots of small ones, but big bubbles... same concept & works same...

when ran freedom buckets, there were pages+pages devoted to soaker hoses & such... a few found that air stones, soaker hoses, etc were not necessary. same air that come thru from air stone comes thru w/ open-ended hose... no way fro roots to clog anything:):yes:

aero-buckets w/ feed lines inside of bucket & air stones were nightmare - last decade. open-ended aeartion w/ large bubbles - & not necessarily on bottom of container, but along side - right beneath surface - make for :no: clogs, & uninterrupted flow...

same w/ 1 big lasko-type blower, on '3' setting... can step-down (like transformer) blower by pvc/duct... then end-cap, then run hoses/pvc from that... to ea bucket... a lasko blower can be stepped-down using simple cheapo rigid exhaust for small stove, then 6" rigid duct for 1'... then end-capped... then 1/2" hoses from that manifold to ea trashcan... just option...

each bucket will be a 10 gallon brute trashcan, with 3in pvc running through the bottoms sealed with uniseals.. also working on designs for some kind of mesh screen to keep the roots from clogging the system and swallowing the air discs.
see above... no clogging when just use open-ended hose/pvc...
this is basically a vertical version of the undercurrent, with more root space, more aeration, more water movement, and larger res capacity... and costs about 1200 bux plus a little blood n sweat
any questions, or comments, please ask!
nice concept...

in imagination, have ran 5 gal over, over, over... get 4x4x4+ - depending on cultivar... maybe same concept as 10 gal trashcan next... maybe 4 plants, maybe 3k... maybe ea plant 6x6x6+... few full baskets of fruit:D not dwc, though... soilless mix;) w/ ~25% coco...

should be lots of fun for you! :yes: good fortunes!:ying:
attachment.php

*edit*
definitely :yes: to stake/tomato cage/yoyo that room before sowing them... also, pro-tekt will get those limbs strong for the fruit;)... they will get large:D

do you have a maintenance pathway? maybe run mock room w/ lights on for day or so... to find temps; hot pockets; low air circulation areas around edges?

raise/lower lights?

vertical laminar air flow definite+... between plants, blowing both upwards & beneath the canopy - between lowest leaf & surface of media... this area is the most important area to cool... as long as the lower part of the plant is cooler than the top :yes:... need lots of air flow to carry away lots of water they constantly give off during lights on... dehuey++..

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I'm liking what I am seeing. I used a hydrostatic pressure return and all my root entanglement issues evaporated. I had roots tangled in the bucket air stones and it was a PITA but manageable as I had the lines taped to the insides of the buckets using a velcro system. It wasn't ideal, but I wanted more oxygen even though I probably had plenty from the active reservoir top feed.

I like mistress' ideas about keeping it simple with a fan, but there's the noise issue and this rig has air pumps that are only slightly smaller than what I would expect to see on a construction site, so I am guessing that concealment isn't an issue for you FloJo. Concealment is important for my grows now so I have to think about the alternatives.

A 4-month veg should give you a plant the size of the talking monster in Little Shop of Horrors, so I would be real careful about personal safety approaching a plant of those proportions. LOL.

Continue the mission. Great thread to follow along on.

*mistress*

Veteran
I'm liking what I am seeing. I used a hydrostatic pressure return and all my root entanglement issues evaporated. I had roots tangled in the bucket air stones and it was a PITA but manageable as I had the lines taped to the insides of the buckets using a velcro system. It wasn't ideal, but I wanted more oxygen even though I probably had plenty from the active reservoir top feed.

I like mistress' ideas about keeping it simple with a fan, but there's the noise issue and this rig has air pumps that are only slightly smaller than what I would expect to see on a construction site, so I am guessing that concealment isn't an issue for you FloJo. Concealment is important for my grows now so I have to think about the alternatives.

A 4-month veg should give you a plant the size of the talking monster in Little Shop of Horrors, so I would be real careful about personal safety approaching a plant of those proportions. LOL.

Continue the mission. Great thread to follow along on.
:)...

yes, air pumps can be noisy...

but the main part is the vibration... just build room to code/spec... 16" framed walls & ceinling joists... should be strong enough to suspend pumps in air, using industrial bungees...

actual pump can also be muffled by cheapo foam & stryfoam insulation in mdf box... so suspended for no vibration & sound insulated for running 24/7. doable...

single source of high-velocity inline fan :yes:, when in fantasy ran aero-buckets... & fed up w/ 1/8" id & air/soaker clog/entanglement...

can cut down veg time considerably by vegging 24/0 under minimum 1k... 14-30 days usually gets them big enough... depending on strain...
q: was that 400w veg 18/6?...
a: yes the 400 is always on 18/6 for mothers
thats why *mistress* asked this...

tried 18/6 w/ trees... didnt work... even under 1k's... they simply stretch too much w/ 6 hrs of dark... also, dark period is not required... push them hard @ full strength nutes (1400ppm/2.0 ec 'nutra-wand') during this period too...

especially if vegging only under 400w...

this is when they get huge... if use dark cycle, 19/5 is most dark they get... 20/4-22/2 very, very good... but no dark really required. much tighter nodal/shoot spacing...

ideally, would place all plants in full flower room for 7-28 days - full light - then flower... will be worth the non-flowering-light-regime used in flower room @ harvest...

*edit*
btw, FloJo... will you be training/pruning the plant(s)?

enjoy your garden!

solarz

Just a word of caution...those uni-seals will give some trouble when used on a non-square surface. I've seen leaks occur when used in the concept you explained above. Just my $.02

nice idea fwiw...

solarz

FLoJo

Well this strain doesnt stretch much at all even under 18/6.. nodes are less than an inch apart.. i have to put the light up about 3 feet to get a 2 inch spacing for cloning LOL.

the only kind of training i would do would be once they were in flower.. the plants on the edges would get a back side fade to concentrate buddage where the light is hitting.

i am trying to make this as perpetual of a setup as possible, which is why i would have such a long veg... then i would transplant into the flower room, let em get used to it for a week or less then pull the trigger..

and sorry mistress but i really dont see the point of using huge fans with step downs to try to aerate the solution... seems like you would restrict the air flow, while using about the same wattage as a few larger air pumps... plus i feel like it would be much more noisy. but i have never tried it so i cant really say.

the air pumps would actually be mounted in an adjoining room to keep them from pumping co2 into the solution.. i cant see an alternative with blower style fans without basically running my ac ducting down into my buckets lol..

solarz.. i have been hearing the same thing about the uniseals.. my other (more expensive) option was a injection molding company that i have found that will make custom buckets and whatnot.. was thinking i could have them make 10-15 gallon square buckets with threading on each side so all i would have to do is get threaded pvc connections and an oring of some sort... would definitely make breakdown and setup/draining much easier...

Latest posts

Latest posts