What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

08 midwest outdoors

hamstring

Veteran
Wisco
Good luck too yah we had some cold weather this morning also. I was looking at your planting sites and you have some good canopy coverage it looked like. This can help a lot with the frost. The trees tend to hold in the heat and keep your girls safe.

Let us know how it goes. Hey if your still having proglems getting signed in over at Unleashdagreen try a PM to Breederbrad or Greens you have to check out their early strains over there.
Goodluck and PEACE

G

Wisco, i like that plant on the right..Great job.Thanks F.O.G-and North.I been a little woried all day,It looked like snow on the lawn this morning.I didnt get a chance to check them yet..Im in the same area as you guys,I got some Reefermans majour wreck ,Ritchard williams Crush Velvet,and some cuts from a friend - twilight .the twilight is ready, the others are so close,1 or 2 more weeks would be so nice. it might be in the 60's low 40"s this week..Would one frost kill em??? are you guys going to chop after this first frost??? good luck to all of you.

wisco61

Well they survived the frost Friday morning, but I didn't stay up there like I was planning so I am not sure how they handled the Sat morning frost but it should be fine. I'm gonna get over to check Monday morning.

But, they only have a week left I'm thinking as next weekend winter looks to be arriving. The specific day has been floating from the 11th to 12th, but one of those days its gonna get COLD. Like 24 degrees with 12 mph winds and that will kill them. Its also supposed to rain/snow during the day and just be all around horrible. So, I figure to cut them all right before that. They won't be completely finished, but its gonna have to do.

I did check trichs on Friday, mostly still clear, but some cloudy and even the odd amber mixed in. So who knows, between another week of cold weather and a good cure it should be ok.

Heres some holes I dug for next year.

I can't freaking wait till next spring. I'll have a much better variety as I have mothers atm of White Lady, White Rhino, Jock Horror, C99xC4, Early Misty and Pure Power Plant. I also have some AK47 auto x Lowryder #2 I am going to turn into lots of fem seeds for an early harvest. Plus I am still gonna be on the lookout for some fast finishing strains.

Oh and I have about 300 seeds of Early Misty x White Lady plus 50 or so seeds of Early Misty x White Rhino I made, so I am considering a largish breeding plot somewhere in the northwoods.

N

North

Morning gents,

I was thinking about running to check my 1 lonely,late flowerin, experimental plant, this morning, but I think I'll wait till early monday morn. less people up north then.

with any luck I'll get a bunch of 75-90% matured buds of it.

this year has really sucked for me but I've learned ALOT and will be way better prepared for next season.

Better strains,earlier start,new areas, gonna try swamp tubes, and whole lot more info from here going into it next spring.

goood luck and great grows to all the rest of you mid-westerners.

N

North

there and back, frost did a number on em.
did the chop.

if your not sure about the frost damage, just grab the stems in a few different places, twist a little, if the bark is loose, your done.

will report back later when I have more time, time to do the 40 hour job.

Last edited:

little j

hey wisco. stoppin in to check the weather over there. its a great time of year but not for ganja farmers. we always need 1 more week. lets hope for great camping weather ahead. little j

wisco61

Well, I checked them this morning and its looks damn good. The frost didn't kill them, though it seems it took a few leaves. The pistils are almost all orange now, and there are more cloudy and amber trichs. Also, the weather forecast has changed. There are no frosts on the 15 day forecast anymore, and decent sun and temps. I think I am still going to chop plant #5 Sunday, but the others will grow on.

Sorry no pics, camera batteries were dead :bashhead:

wisco61

Doh, it seems I spoke too soon. The frost did kill them, it was just a bit delayed. So, I cut the 2 worst off ones today, plants #3 and #5. There was some bud rot, but not a whole lot. I got some trimmed up, but its gonna take a while.

Plant #2, still standing but needs to be chopped soon.

Heres the 2 plants hanging.

About 1/3rd of one plant trimmed up minus the popcorn.

Last edited:
N

North

freaking weather, the weathermen are talking 75 on sunday. damn frost.

wisco61

Ya it sucks, gonna be a beautiful weekend. But, I guess now I can concentrate on next year and it will be nice out in the woods anyways.

Damn crazy midwest weather.

hamstring

Veteran
Wisco
Didn’t look like too much frost damage in the pics was it just burnt tips or did it freeze large portions of the bud?
I still have to go out and check on my 2 last plants and will be interesting to see because we had that frost too.

Some nice buds drying and booyah to next year.

G

I had to chop last nite, --"I chopped em down, with the edge of my hand" - The rain we had tipped my girls over,no frost :laughing: or bud rot.The twilight was raedy..Majourwrecks could have used a few weeks yet..some nice purple sarting in some of the buds.I have two love potions going yet,will see how long theyll go.Not to bad of a year I quess.I need to find something faster and heayier..Yeah ,i here you "Midwest Weather" ...(Jimi)---;;;>

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how cold did it get? we had a minor frost tuesday night but the plants came back fine. i think you should have waited to after this heat wave coming this weekend. plant would have almost doubled in size

little j

everything looks ok for you there wisco. im done and dried also. i put in a lot of work and didnt get what i was hoping but i got enough to last me over the winter. like you said, planning for next year already. enjoy the buds around the fire and good luck hunting this season. see you around. little j

wisco61

As far as the frost and the damage and what not, here is what we got.

3 nights in a row of frost, lows of 31, 27, and 30. Plus a half inch of rain inbetween day 2 and 3. |I'm colder than the weather station by about 2 degrees, so they probably got down to 25.

The damage was the "skin" peeled right off when I rubbed it lightly. Bud rot was also starting to develop independently, just too much rain and cold. Also, the branches flopped over on most of them, too much weight with all the moisture.

I actually have 1 of them still standing, plant #2. The bark was loose on it and the leaves were all starting to die, but I was willing to risk it as an experiement. I'll be back Sunday to check it out, we'll see whats up.

N

North

I had a weather stayion thats 10 miles away report 24 for an overnight low in my area.That one was the killer, the 2 other night were 28, Ive seen plants handle that temp before. I also think that frost set in early in the evening each of those nights, not just a dawn kind of frost.there was ICE on puddles around here 1 morning.

the buds were not burnt but every leave that was standing off away from the buds was burnt and wilted.i was running a more "indoor" strain.

this WONT happen to Me again next year. :muahaha:

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
damn, i figured in the midwest that it wouldn't get so cold at night. im way up north and it hasn't been below 35 yet. i understand cutting them with those low temps. that's cutting it pretty close. if i hear anything about 32 degrees or lower for a low at night, i run out to the plants and chop away.

N

North

SmokeyTheBear said:
damn, i figured in the midwest that it wouldn't get so cold at night. im way up north and it hasn't been below 35 yet. i understand cutting them with those low temps. that's cutting it pretty close. if i hear anything about 32 degrees or lower for a low at night, i run out to the plants and chop away.

DONT jump at 32, strains vary in what they can handle. but in my experince,25-28 is the deths bell, BUT let the plant tell you, there's LOTS of things that will vary in this equation.