What's new

007's Summer 2010 Grow

Hey guys, my partner and I are first time GGs.

I've been lurking these forums for a couple months now, and have learned a lot.

We bought 70 seeds, and 49 have popped. I'm fairly certain no more will, as we started trying to germ them April 28th.

We have two main locations scouted, fairly near each other, in the mountains. Both get direct sunlight all day.

Location A is about 150 yards from a hiking trail. I'm confident hikers won't happen to deviate that far off trail at this exact location over the course of the season, as there are not visible trails headed off the main trail, and hikers in these parts are usually quite well behaved and stay on-trail.

One main concern we have for Location A is that there is some mountain pine beetle activity in the area, and "bug dicks" may come 'round, and will definitely be buzzing the area by helicopter. The location is also visible from a ridge nearby, though this is intentional to provide overwatch during harvest time. To counteract these issues, we plan to keep our garden as inconspicuous looking as possible, hopefully blending it into the surroundings adequately.

Location B is on a mountainside, about a 1.5 hour trek from visible human activity. Our only concern is that it is quite high in elevation, and we don't want our plants freezing.

The babies are currently in veg growth, trying to get them big enough to handle bug attacks. We have two grow boxes and one 8 inch fan for ventilation. I fashioned an air intake with a garbage bag and some duct tape. Our other box is currently not receiving any ventilation, though I plan on fixing this in the next couple days.

attachment.php

attachment.php

As you can see, we've taken two plants to Location A already, anticipating a good period weather-wise. That was last Tuesday, and we went back yesterday to check them out. They didn't look very good at all. The weather dipped to -2 C one night, and one looks like it's probably going to die. The other will hopefully pull through. We gave them water, and will check back on them tomorrow. We're keeping them in little plastic bell shaped "individual greenhouses" from a gardening store. Once they outgrow those, we'll be moving to chicken wire.

One question I have is regarding fertilization. We've been using liquid sea weed in 100% of our watering, but that's it. We're also providing foliar feeding of the liquid sea weed, and growth has certainly improved since we began this. Should we use an additional rooting hormone during transplantations? And how do we know when/how much to chemically fertilize? We're using potting soil in our locations and a specialized seedling soil in the grow boxes. We can't use anything like blood/bone meal since we have a lot of wildlife issues to worry about. A grizzly (we hope) moved our potting soil out of its hiding spot on-location already.

We're not sure about planting more plants. Historic average last frost is May 20th, so we'll probably give it another week or two of veg growth before planting more. In the meantime we'll keep digging (we only have about 20 holes right now) and moving soil.

We also wonder if we need to transplant to larger pots. If not, will we need to, or will we be able to go from cup to hole in two weeks?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I took all these pictures last night, and there has been some reasonable growth since. I've got the plants on 22/2 right now, which I'll adjust an hour at a time to ease the transition before sending them out.

Our harvest strategy is to have an overwatch position on the ridge with a radio and a telescope. Keeping an eye out for Babylon, we should be able to avoid ever getting caught with harvested product. We're going to dry in a secondary location, where we will dig a hole for a large bin filled with screens to hold the bud, and a dessicant on the bottom to keep things dry. We'll seal that and leave it, checking daily. The reason for this is that we can't dry at home, due to roommates.

That's all I can think of to post just now, though I'll keep updating this thread.

PS: We've got Rainbow Skunk, a mix of outdoor strains, Emerald Wonder, Early Wonder, Blackberry, White Grizzly, and a Kish based mix that sucked for germing and we probably only have two plants of. Blackberry was also not the best performer for germing, but has shown incredible vigor since. These are all fairly early finishers. We picked one autoflowering strain (Early Wonder) so we could evaluate our proposed drying method.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 11

Ribsauce

hey man i just wanted to stop by and wish ya luck with all your plants...i wish i could help ya with your nute question but i dont want to tell ya something thats incorrect so ill wait for a more experienced voice to chime in on that...and the thing about the grizzly bear and the blood meal blows my mind as I never even thought about that because of where i am haha

D

DiiZZii3

Damn u guys got ur shit well on its way. Im def. pullin up a seat for this one. I dunno if im understanding u right, but did u say a buddys gunna sit on the ridge and watch for heli's??? cuz if so thats def. uneeded cuz u will hear them well in advance, most likely before you will see them. Also why only during harvest. I would see that as a problem at your plot all season. Im not sure if i understood what u were sayin or not so sorry if i completly misinterpreted that lol

Anyway about nutes... i as well am gunna wait for a more expirienced grower to chime in cuz i def. dont wanna lead u in the wrong direction!

Also have u seen some threads about your proposed drying method working out successfully? if so please post some links cuz im def. interested in how it works. I kinda see alot of potential cons to it and it seems like a good idea but not sure how great it would work.

+Rep bro, can't wait to follow along with what should be a bomb season for you guys!!!

Hey Ribsauce. Thanks for popping in. The wildlife situation here is pretty messed up. We were doing initial scouting in knee deep snow, and kept finding grizzly tracks all over our trail. We knew they were at most hours old, since it was raining lightly and tracks were quickly degrading. We've scene lots of fairly recent evidence of grizzly activity, as well as recent cougar activity. It's a pretty scary area. But we're ready with a can each of bear mace, so hopefully we don't get eaten or something. It is a real concern though. It could be a positive though as that kind of presence would tend to make deer more skittish I'd imagine.

DiiZZii3, glad to have you in the thread. I should have been more clear when I described the harvest strategy. By "Babylon", I mean anybody that would wish us legal trouble. Whether that came in the form of a helicopter, a park ranger, a person walking along the trail, a SWAT team, whatever. Discovery is our primary concern with this spot (well, that and the bears), so we want to make sure we're covered.

We'll have radios and line of sight, so with a telescope one person should be able to provide real time intel on the harvester's surroundings. "Park dick approx. 150 meters NNE headed South" would make for essential knowledge in the event of an LE incursion.

I've read Endur's grow log, and have considered his drying method. I'll find the threads on the method I'm describing tomorrow. I've had a couple drinks, and it's going to be an early morning tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've managed to upload a few pictures (Tor slows things down so much!)

Here you can see a nice view of my field of dreams. That prominent mofo is a Blackberry that we're calling "Big Poppa". Hopefully we'll be able to rename it "Big Momma". That's one thing I should have changed. Should have gone with feminized seeds. Lesson learned.

IMG_0173.jpg

Here we have an overview of my plants.

IMG_0168.jpg

Some more random shots:

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

We transplanted some of them into bigger pots. We now have 9 in four inch pots. The other 40 are still in 2 inchers. When transplanting, we noticed root growth throughout the soil's outside. We're thinking it's a good thing we got bigger pots.

IMG_0184.jpg

deadbeef

Hey 007, doin great so far man! I totally dig your method of drying... I'm also having the same problem here and was pushing me brain for ideas :)

You've said you're having doubts about going with regular seeds... Don't! Keep working with regular seeds and make your own seeds and give your friends seeds... Moreover the feminized stuff is much more vulnerable to stress and you don't want that happening, especially at your latitude.

And those are some NICE roots :).

Thanks for the encouragement deadbeef. May you find a solution that works well for your situation regarding drying.

I couldn't find the method I was talking about very easily. I'll try to find it later with Tor disconnected. Tor just slows things down for me so much that it's not very practical to be browsing around. I have to re-login after every navigation, and it's extremely slow.

But even on the threads I'm recalling (wherever they are), I don't think the method had been done exactly as I'm describing (digging a hole and sealing). I think the person had done this in his garage that way or something, and he had a runoff for the desiccant-water. I believe he used driveway salt as his desiccant. With my modifications, desiccant water-run off would be a concern, as would buoyancy in the event of flooding. I can't have the whole container shoot up out of the ground and keel over, getting product contaminated.

Then again, this system wouldn't necessarily have to be buried. If I could find the right spot in dense dense dense bush, I could just camo net it in a gully somewhere.

I'll probably give it a shot with our Early Wonders, of which we've got 8. Those should harvest in late July.

I am concerned about uneven drying, as I imagine that without any circulation, the air would be far dryer closer to the desiccant. I'll try to have the drying location be close enough to my area that I can go out there a couple times a day to rotate.

If the Early Wonders don't work out well that way, I'll use Endur's method. I'll still want to have the drying location much closer to me than the growing one.

I do have some concerns about transporting the wet product. How much heavier is an equal amount of wet bud versus dry? What steps can I take to minimize trichome loss?

Long day today. We decided to all but abandon Location 1, due to security concerns. We just don't like the situation there very much. So we'll continue the White Grizzly that's there, if it still lives. The Rainbow Skunk at that location is almost certainly a goner (frost did a number on the roots). We have a lot of holes (pretty much all our holes) and one heavy ass bag of soil there. But oh well, we live and learn. We've already found a new spot. Much better situation. We'll double team the heavy stuff and then do checkups using a dropoff/pickup protocol using radios.

Should the White Grizzly already on-location turn out male (and it has had some stress), we're going to allow it to develop its pollen. This way we can chose a female Blackberry (and hopefully "Big Poppa", if he turns out she -it's our most vigorous by far) to mate it with. We think the nice quality of the stone and the hardiness of White Grizzly will mesh nicely with the incredible vigor, berry notes, and purple coloration of Blackberry.

While scouting the newest location, I spotted a young black bear. It was about 20 m away and across a brook. It was running away from us before I even noticed it. My partner didn't manage to spot it. We were pretty paranoid that momma was going to come crashing through the bush at any moment, especially since the path we needed to follow was directly following the path the young bear had fled along.

Oh well, that's what you have to deal with in our neck. Luckily we found no signs of grizzly activity, or cougars. So it's safer in that sense so far than Location 1 was. Location 2 is still viable. At this point we're thinking Bear Cub Patch gets 28 plants, Location 2 gets 20.

Due to rocky/sandy ground on both spots, I'm planning on using 100% grow bags. Does anybody have any resources on this?

Here's some pictures I took earlier this afternoon. We did some juggling and now one bin has 31 two inch pots and 1 three inch pot. The box (pictured) has 16 four inch pots. Transplants are looking amazing root-wise.

In the first picture, you can spot Big Poppa as top row, third from left.

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

The candles are our ghetto ID system.

Random question: anybody have any good online resources for Field Manuals or something on guerrilla warfare they've found useful? We could use tried and true protocols for radio discipline, pickup/dropoff, etc.

.clunk

In terms of the grow-bags, I've used 5-8 gallon grow bags for the last few years, they work okay but they dry out pretty quickly, you'll need to water once per day, maybe ever second day if you get a bit of rainfall. My only advice with the grow-bags is to size them first and get the wider/shorter ones. If I remember right the 5gallons are really tall and tip over easily, the seven gallons as well. The 6 gallons and the 8 gallons were good to go.

Thanks for the info clunk!

Daily watering is definitely not going to be possible. Even twice weekly is going to be a stretch. Our plan is to dig/pickax holes, then line those holes with the grow bags, and then fill those with soil (probably around 8 gallon bags, since our soil bags have just over 14 gallons). Our sites are all rock/sand, so I was hoping these bags would help us retain some water. I know people usually use grow bags in an above-ground setting. Could we just use garbage bags with holes punched for what we're describing? I'm drawing my inspiration for this from Brown Dirt Warrior.

About 16 plants need to go out next week. Then we'll move all the others to 4 inch pots for another week or so. I'm not looking forward to hauling all that dirt and chicken wire!

I went ahead and started giving my babies some nutes. I'm using a shitty all purpose fertilizer right now, though I'm going to switch to a high N fertilizer hopefully tomorrow.

I'm giving it just a tiny splash. Probably 20% of the recommended dose.

Apart from that, they're looking great. The smaller ones in the bins are looking really dense and shrubby, and the ones in the box with the bigger pots are starting to really blow up.

The plan is to send 16 out next week, and then I'll repot all the rest and probably let them another two weeks.

They're starting to have a bit of an odor, which I wasn't expecting. Then again that may just be the bud that's in my room stinking things up a bit. I did just pick up.

Hey guys, long time no see!

Tor's such a bitch, I haven't been updating like I'd like to.

We fired 13 plants out a while ago at our new location. We tried to dig, fill, and transplant all at once, which was a bad idea. I hadn't thought about how much more legally vulnerable you are during transplantation, and how you want to have no other tasks on your plate for the day of.

While transplanting we had a black helicopter fly about 40 feet over our heads. Due to tinted windows, we don't know if they were looking at us or not. We were pretty freaked out by this and decided not to chicken-wire the plants in case they came back. Besides, I was tripping out and really just wanted to get the hell out of the field.

When we came back, we found the plants 100% eaten. Fucking deer.

We put another 6 in a high-risk location a la the Massive Outdoor Grow sticky. This was mostly an experiment for next year. We used entirely native, barely tilled soil (tested neutral with adequate quantities of NPK) and no deer protection. So far they've survived, although they're extremely droopy from over-water (it's been amazingly rainy).

That location will not see any photos due to it's risk and my paranoia about Babylon.

We recently went to scout a new location (that helo fly-over put us off our previous primary spot). The location looks good. We've got a nice spot to camp, and the areas we're looking at are sufficiently remote. We have soil hidden out there ready to go.

While scouting, we came across an old GG op. There were holes, with maybe 40 filled with a perite-containing potting soil. Pretty tough to mistake. As if that weren't enough, there were some empty buckets of organic fert, and a half-assed burried pickaxe. We found it because parts of the fert buckets were white and easily spotted between the trees. We figure these guys weren't busted since there was still some evidence present. Either they're practicing the mantra "never use the same spot twice", or they haven't planted yet, since there we no plants.

We ripped the white parts off the buckets and burried them, and then burried the pickaxe a little better.

We're considering using this location ourselves. There's soil already in, which would be supplemented by our own mix. What do you guys think? Less time on-site would mean less risk, but of course there's assumed risk from their previous season, as well as the possibility of them ripping us. Perhaps we should just find our own spot. We're still debating.

On the home/veg front, our remaining plants are doing well. We've trimmed all of the primordial leaves. A lot of the lower, first true leaves have yellowed and been trimmed. Some of the next leaf sets up have also needed to be trimmed. We have one retarded plant that decided to start flowering at about 4 inches with 18/6. It's not even an auto-flower. Go figure. That one's hairs have started to redden, though the trichomes are still clear/white. It'll probably only yield a bowl, but it will still be interesting to bring one plant to fruit so soon.

Our best plant that we still have in-house is about 18 inches tall. They're in the dark now, or I'd measure and take some pics. Many of them have started showing sex, which is nice because it means no wasted holes. We've probably killed about 8-10, with about as many showing hairs. males sure are fucking annoying. Not only are they wasted effort/seed money, you have to destroy them without showing garbage sifters that you've got weed plants. So far I've been using a butane torch to burn the hell out of them. Damn I wish my guinnea pigs would just eat them. They seem to turn their noses up at only one thing, that being male weed (I've seen them eat bud before).

Our residential situation is experiencing some upheaval, which is putting a strain on our vegging. They'll have to all be gone (with the possible exception of the retarded flowerer) by the end of the month. So we'll see how things go. Hopefully this season doesn't turn into a total bust. At this point, recouping our investment (seeds, gas, equipment, etc.) would be a success in my eyes.

.clunk

yeah the first couple of years can be rough until you get things figured out. Sounds like you've already learnt alot for next season so you don't make the same mistakes twice...

Hello again all.

So we've put out the remaining 17 plants (not counting 1 that's still here) at our best spot yet. Tons of light, predominant winds blowing away from high-risk areas, and I doubt anybody's going to stumble across is. We used chicken wire cylinders folded over at the top as deer/elk/caribou/etc. protection. I hope it works!

All but 1 are showing, and showing female. We've killed a lot of males in the last few weeks.

The 1 plant that's still here is sort of a retard that started budding while still in it's 2 inch pot. Anyway, we decided to let it finish here. We'll probably only get a joint, if that, out of it. But the bud looks good and it will be fun to get a taste of things to come!

I decided to give the 'tard some high phosphorous nutes to help it bud (when we still thought it would go out with the rest) a couple hours after that, I microscoped the bud and noticed some amber triches. So I flushed thouroughly, and have continued to do so since. It is now under a shit ton of light, and being flushed daily. With such a small plant, and considering this was the only nutes it received in about a month, do you think a week of flushing will be enough? I can't keep it further than that due to residential considerations.

IMG_0282 (2).jpg

IMG_0281 (2).jpg

IMG_0280 (2).jpg

Isn't she the most beautiful little retarded midget girl you've ever seen?

Attachments

• IMG_0280 (2).jpg
    IMG_0280 (2).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0281 (2).jpg
    IMG_0281 (2).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0282 (2).jpg
    IMG_0282 (2).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 8

Here's the plants that went out, the night before.

IMG_0273 (2).jpg

IMG_0275 (2).jpg

IMG_0274 (2).jpg

Many different sizes, including some that had to be folder over a little bit to fit under the lid. They all popped back up though. I watered them all a ton the night before, but we didn't water them at the site (the soil was a little wet, including the soil we had brought in). It's not supposed to rain until next week though, and I'm very busy with other considerations until then. Hopefully they do OK water-wise. I do live in a dry climate.

I miss my babies already :(

Attachments

• IMG_0273 (2).jpg
    IMG_0273 (2).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0274 (2).jpg
    IMG_0274 (2).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0275 (2).jpg
    IMG_0275 (2).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 9

We recently went back to check on them. We've had draught conditions, but have been unable to get out there, as we've had to move. They're looking alright. They definitely have a nitrogen deficiency, as the bottom leaves are yellowing on almost all of them (especially the more mature ones), with new growth being quite green. The pre-flowers are almost all turning a rusty purple, with a lot of purple showing on the leaves as well. This may just be genetics, but temperature stress likely plays a part as well.

We'll get back out there soon to give them some N + micros, and snap some pictures for the infirmary.

I am happy that they're all alive and kicking though. No deer destruction... yet.

We went out to fertilize but I forgot to take the camera. Will head out again next week.

Plants are very purple. I'm very concerned that temperature stress is going to be a bigger factor in the mountains than I thought.

They're looking really nice! Most of them are flowering. They really needed some phosphorous, which I gave them. I gave more phosphorous than nitrogen, or potassium, but I probably should have made the difference more extreme.

Here's part of the plot. I spot at least three ladies, with cages. But they're hard to pick out.

picture.php

Here's a nice developing flower:

picture.php

Another bud coming along nicely. These more developed flowers should be Early Wonder.

picture.php

Yet another bud:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This one stretched right out of the top of its container!

picture.php

Here's a nice shot of the hillside. The one closest had its cage knocked off somehow and rolled out of sight downhill.

picture.php

Some shots of our mountainside.

picture.php

picture.php

This one's doing nicely, although she still shows the scars from not enough nitrogen in the weeks after transplant.

picture.php

Another good looking girl:

picture.php

So there we have it folks. 17 ladies looking pretty good. We have hopefully another 1.5 months, perhaps even 2, to work with. It can be unpredictable out here in the mountains.