What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips and Coco?

T

TwinTurboGuy

Well, I killed off my mother plant, which was infested with thrips. My question is, I discovered a few thrips on my little seedlings, but they are in coco. I know they came from the mother plant I just culled (which was in soil).

Will they thrive in coco? If so, is it safe to just powder with garlic powder on the top portion. What do you guys think?

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got some clones recently which where infected with thirps.. They were able to infest the coco plants nearby in my veg tent, so I would say yes, they can definitely thrive in coco.

I thought i had eliminated them with some general insecticide in fact, but a couple of weeks later they came back after the plants had been re-potted and all. 2 applications of a Spinosad based spray and they were done though, so I recommend you get some asap before this thing progresses any further.

"Monterey Garden Insect Spray" is the Spinosad product I used with success. Get it from 4hydroponics.com or wherever you prefer.

For dusting the top of your medium, I recommend Dichotomous Earth.

Good luck!

G

Guest 18340

Mr. Bongjangles is right on the money, those fuckers will thrive in coco. And the only thing that has permanantly eradicated them (for me) was "Monterey Garden Insect spray". The stuff works for sure.

clowntown

Veteran
Yeah, Spinosad is the shit. One application and I don't even have to think twice about worrying, they're sooo dead. If you want to be sure, give it a second application in a few days. I haven't found it necessary, but I've had thrips twice now (both from incoming clones, about/more than 6 months apart) and each time it got rid of them extremely easily with no negative effects on the plants or otherwise in the garden.

Check out kokua's Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips thread.

D

DEDHEDFRED

Coco is notorious for providing an excellent environment for all bugs and especially fungus gnats...........The reason being is that it stores heat very well until the plant canopy grows big enough to cover the container and give the rootzone some thermal insulation....Using coco as a hydro medium by keeping the rootzone saturated 24/7 provides moist hot containers and bugs will be up yer ass in no time I assure you unless something`s done to prevent infestation ......SM-90 added to your rez on a regular basis will not allow any bugs to take hold in your rootzone .....ever.......I`m gladta hear ya`ll found the spinosad product to kill the lil bastards ......There`s several on the market but monterey seems ta be the most available though a lil pricey but hey whatever works........Start usin SM-90 and your bug spray can stay on the shelf .......Totally organic ..........Go read up on it.....Also prevents root rot and is supposedly as advertised an excellent foliar to kill existing bugs.....I`ve never sprayed my plants with it , but it`s been in my rez`s for yrs.......Does affect beneficial bacteria though if that`s a problem with your feed regimen..........Excellent shit though.....4hydroponics.com....Peace.........DHF............ :joint:

Last edited:

wickedpete66

I just got done with a bout of thrips myself. I just sprayed the hellout of them with this stuff. 15ml per litre/qt. No more thrips no worries. I'm going to give a second app this weekend just to make sure even though I dont see any

Last edited:
G

guest5703

Damn I have had thrips for a while now, I need to get some of this shit quick cuz I hate these little bastards they really are just a pain.....Hope theres some of that spray near me

D

DEDHEDFRED

Get some SM-90 for your nute mix and ya`ll won`t be havin thrip problems .............ever again.......Yeah .......Kill em now with spinosad and gnatrol but they`ll come right back in coco cuz of the heat and moisture stored in the containers is prime breeding ground for any bugs that`ll fuk your crop up.............DHF........... :joint: ............

Last edited:
T

TwinTurboGuy

caligreen said:
Damn I have had thrips for a while now, I need to get some of this shit quick cuz I hate these little bastards they really are just a pain.....Hope theres some of that spray near me

Well, I just ordered some Spinosad concentrate on ebay and it's going to come in next week! If you're in Cali, don't bother looking for it locally. I called every place and they don't seem to have it. Nowadays not that many places hold organic pesticides.

I'm going to look into SM90 and order some of that soon! Thanks guys.

Last edited:
G

guest5703

Well, I just ordered some Spinosad concentrate on ebay and it's going to come in next week! If you're in Cali, don't bother looking for it locally. I called every place and they don't seem to have it. Nowadays not that many places hold organic pesticides.

Thanks bro, yes sir cali it is and THEY DONT HAVE IT???? Wow, that is whack I will have to try this spinosad out and if it works I'll tell my hydro store people to get on it and order some more.

But also I want to know more about SM90, I LOVE anything that can get into the plants system and void off any bugs from the inside out. It's like floramite that shit works BOMB. Let us know about the SM90 bro and I'll do my own research too, thanks!

clowntown

Veteran
TwinTurboGuy said:
If you're in Cali, don't bother looking for it locally. I called every place and they don't seem to have it. Nowadays not that many places hold organic pesticides.
That's a pretty wide, ignorant, and incorrect statement. I can't seem to find a local retail shop that doesn't carry it... :spank: FYI, my bottle of Spinosad is OMRI listed... :muahaha:

paulobaca

TwinTurboGuy said:

Got some spinosad at the Orchard Home and Garden on Venice Blvd. Off La Brea. They had the super concentrated kind that attatches to a garden hose. Diluted down to about 10% strenght and has worked well.

G

guest5703

Sweet yea now that I think about it I know they will have that stuff locally cuz out here they've got it all ;) I can't wait to go get some this weekend wish me luck!

T

TwinTurboGuy

clowntown said:
That's a pretty wide, ignorant, and incorrect statement. I can't seem to find a local retail shop that doesn't carry it... :spank: FYI, my bottle of Spinosad is OMRI listed... :muahaha:

Have you noticed that the two people that posted after you noted where they can get it locally? Despite my incorrect statement, your post did not help ANYONE.

So instead of trolling around and making comments about statements, try contributing something first. Learn to be helpful. It will make you a better person. Trust me on that.
:joint:

clowntown

Veteran
Have you noticed that my name isn't paulobaca or HenDokuYaku?

That's right; my name is clowntown, and I can do whatever the fuck I please as long as I'm not on your payroll. And if I was, I'd quit and tell you to go die, quietly, in some dark hole... you lazy fuck.

If you can't seem to find a local retail shop that doesn't carry it, does that mean I should list every single shop that carries it? No; why don't you get a clue and start actually calling around, rather than making ignorant statements that have no bearing to the truth and acting like you called when you really didn't? Had you actually called or looked around, I guarantee you would have found it. Organic pesticides not being popular in California? Are you fucking serious? Anything with "organic" sells faster than any bud that's colored purple.

Are you local to me? You want me to list all the hydro shops? No, why don't you go do your homework instead instead of asking me to do it for you?

You wanna come here and demand shit from me, when you're too fucking lazy to do anything yourself? Lazy morons like you make me not want to contribute to this site.

Don't have too nice of a day.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Monterey insect spray was created in monterey, ca. Its manufactured in Frenso, ca.
This stuff was in cali before anywhere else, EVERY hydro store I have been to (5 total) in cali carries this product.
You should not mislead people based on your limitted experience, the statement was ignorant.
Must spread reputation before givin it ta clowntown again.
Peace.
-GET MO-

G

guest5703

Yea I'd rather not hype anymore on this thread about who is right and wrong.......Byut I think you did ask where to get this stuff, and clowntown replied stating yes it is in cali and he was so right about the organics and also GET MO no shit man I didn't even realize of course montery spray would be in cali right?!?!?!? DUH I also thought the other day when someone mentioned organic pesticides not being around anymore I thought it was funny cuz I know for fact they have multiple organic pesticides at my hydro store I have bought two before.......Different kinds.

I duno I guess I did hype more lol but whatever I'm going to the store today to get some shiiiit!!!! PEACE

D

DEDHEDFRED

I assure you Clowntown`s anything BUT a troll TTG.......He`s been around a long time and has posted his gains AND losses which is the true sign of an honest grower that shows the good as well as the bad and ugly and not just fluff to pump his own ego......The reason I left this place over a yr. ago was due to the fact there were so many "so-called" experienced growers and info spreaders spewing bullshit personal experience rather than actual facts.....BTW.....I was here when Gypsy opened this site ......Just like CT said above......Cali is the HUB of organic EVERYTHING and your irresponsible posts about not being able to find spinosad based on either your inability to do a proper search in your local area or just sheer laziness like CT said and wanting someone else to do your homework for you.......Thank Gawd there`s a few around here left to set folks like you straight TTG........Way too many newbsters around here that`ll take your word as gospel and fuck up accordingly....... Responsible posting falls in the hands of the one`s that truly KNOW what they`re talkin bout instead of conjecture and personal failings....Anyways........I feel your pain CT......TTG..........Your post about CT helping NOONE actually foreshadows your ability to help ANYONE.........Get your facts straight and do your OWN homework as well as having several grows under yer belt before spewin crap that someone might take to heart and fuck up cuz of your lack of knowledge.......No offense TTG......Just know facts before you post as a RESPONSIBLE member of this community OK ?.......Ya`ll take care......DHF.......... :joint: ...........

S

Shan Diego

My nearby Home De Pot carries Monterey in a lawn sprayer...and permethrin without petroleum distillates in a lawn sprayer...and imidapcloprid as tree and shrub concentrate. For like $40, you can have a lifetime supply of total obliteration for all living insects...and, you will not kill off your beneficial microbes. Treat yourself to this combo, and your plants will never show any sign of stress from it. I drenched em in that shit, and sprayed them up and down. Afterwards, insects trespassing is suddenly a capital crime without judge and jury. Plants bursting with life, no signs of crawling, flying, or slithering life. White roots explode. I love coco!