What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HOPS pollinating Cannabis???

stoopid

I came across a very interesting thread on highbred...A member of the site appears to have succesfully cross pollinated a male hops plant with his female lowryder. Not only that, but before his lrxhops plants could be grown to full maturity, they were seized in a raid at his home. Funny thing is, the lrxhops plants tested negative as being cannabis, therefore his case was thrown out even though he had real MJ, as that was an illegal seizure given they can't go taking plants if they are not weed.

I want to try this.........so badly. Does anybody have hops pollen by any chance?????

if anyone wants to check out the thread it's in their breeders section.

Last edited:
S

ScrogHog

stoopid said:
anybody else ever heard of this being done???

I have not. That doesnt mean its not possible. I have heard that hops and hemp are very similar. Interested to see where this thread goes. :joint:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Rob Clarke and I spent years trying to find a hops or Cannabis plant that could pollinate the other and produce viable seeds. We tried many domesticated as well as wild varieties with no luck at all. We tried (Humulus lupulus), many many varieties of female plants as well as (Humulus japonicus), and (Humulus yunnanensis) seeds that gave both male and female hops plants. We tried pollinating the hops with Cannabis pollen and pollinating Cannabis with hemp pollen, neither gave any results at all.

-SamS

Humulus japonicus seeds

Last edited:

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
Yeah im calling BS. Are there pix of this hybrid? If not then its probably malarchy. And the whole story of i made it but i got busted and then the case was thrown out? Any proof of this, article or what not?

devilgoob

Veteran
I remember seeing a guy do this in a forum, yea, and it was japanese hops or something.

He did it though, it worked. Maybe keep grafting hops to cannabis and letting them chemically change over time....maybe and then it'll work.

I have no clue, but finding "weed" and having it test negative for THC is hilarious.

southwind

progeny

progeny

Hello

Rarely do plants or animals from a different GENUS result in any progeny at all.

The pollen or sperm are simply not seen as anything what so ever.

Cannabis Indica Indica and Cannabis Sativa Sativa can cross because they are the same GENUS.

Tomatoes, potatoes, datura, brugmansia all belong the Family Solanacea, but they are different GENUS.

FAMILY
GENUS
SPECIES.

You must be in the same genus to produce VIABLE offspring.

Some species cannot even produce VIABLE offspring within a GENUS.

and some create STERILE HYBRIDS

as in Donkeys and Horses hybrid creating the sterile MULE.

devilgoob

Veteran
highbred.net it was on. and he did it too, it was a japanese hops plant that looked similar to mj that was crossed with lr2. the guy got busted for 3lbs, but then it tested no THC, so since it wasn't drugs, the search was illegal and he got all his pipes and bongs back.

for some reason I knew i read this somewhere like 2 years ago...just refound it.

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've heard that ABC/Dizzy is a hops/cannabis hybrid,thats why it grows like a vine but me thinks thats just pure bullshit and is proberly from some experiment with a mutagen.

Grafting cannabis plants onto hops roots is a fairly simple way to increase tolerance of the root structure...that is if one is already pretty good at grafting plants...I grafted cucumbers onto squash this year...in the fall I will be making a tree with three types of fruit...next spring we will go for canna onto hops...just for fun....but it is interesting that the skunkman tried to pollinate the plants...on what basis (why?- what led to this idea)was this done??? -with what info..., what strains....?

I'm out...
'ccumbens

Edit: Some info...on hops and canna from:

< http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hybrid/msg041824032989.html >

Let me make a list of similarities and differences based on the knowledge I currently have, so that others may have a reference of some sort.

**Plants of intended hybridization:
-Humulus Lupulus (Hardiness Zones: 4a - 8b)
-Cannabis Sativa (Hardiness Zones: ?)

*Similarities:
-Both are naturally diploid, having a chromosome complement of 2n=20.
-Both species are dioecious, with separate male and female plants in the population.
-Both are genera within the same family.
-Both plants are pollinated by the wind.
-Both contain phytoestrogens.
-Both contain Humulene, a naturally occurring monocyclic sesquiterpene which contributes to their characteristic aromas.
-Both have the presence of glandular trichomes on inflorescenes, and both biosynthesize terpenophenolic secondary metabolites in these trichomes.

*Differences:
-Cannabis is annual while Humulus is perennial.
-Humulus lacks buds at the base of the staminate inflorescence.

Now, allow me break down exactly what would need to take place for this hybridization to occur.

First you must have successful pollen germination between the two plants, resulting in seed formation. This requires hand pollination (also called "mechanical pollination") using an artists brush or a cotton swab to transfer the pollen from the male plant to the pistil on the female plant. The first step alone may be quite difficult, though several unverifiable stories claim that seeds have been formed, but that they are dormant. If I may cite one such similar claim:

"It is possible to produce viable grafts between hops and hemp and it is reported that pollination of hops by hemp, annual nettle (Urtica urens) or perennial nettle (Urtica dioica) stimulates cone development, but only abortive embryos are produced."

Now step two would require successful seed germination, assuming that it is even plausible to get this far, seed dormancy (usually embryo dormancy or internal dormancy) could be an issue here. It is caused by a condition of the embryo which prevents germination. This is something I am still researching.

And for my very last reflection, in regards to classification, I wonder what the F1 hybrid resulting from a cross of cannabis and Humulus would be termed. I understand that hybrid speciation is the process wherein hybridization between two different closely related species leads to a distinct phenotype (a physical feature). And that if reproductive isolation is achieved, it may lead to a separate species. But where exactly does that leave this theoretical intergeneric hybrid?

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Before reading the threads on HB i had only heard of people producing hemp x hops seeds that were sterile. Achieving even that was supposed to be rather difficult.

Now these guys just happened to chuck some hops pollen on their plants and got seeds. It just sounded so easy that I couldn't help being sceptical about it..

They do have pictures of young seedlings but I'm still waiting for updates...

In principle the two species should be able to merge, but I doubt it could be done only by cross pollination. People have already hybridized potato and tomato, rowan and apple plus many more species belonging to different genuses but I'm not aware of their methods.

I have some hops seeds in the fridge stratifying as I was curious enough to try it myself.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If you want to try then I suggest you use seeds of (Humulus japonicus), and (Humulus yunnanensis) to get males and females instead of the common Humulus Lupulus which is used as female clones, or rather a rhizome or cutting. Or you can use a male Cannabis plant to try and pollinate a Humulus Lupulus female clone, there are maybe 50 varieties used in the brewing trade. They are all maintained asexually.
We tried for a few years a few dozen varieties and gave up. You can find Humulus Lupulus seeds also but they will not be the famous Noble varieties used for the beer trade.

Good Luck,
You will need it.

-SamS

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
You can find Humulus Lupulus seeds also but they will not be the famous Noble varieties used for the beer trade.

Good Luck,
You will need it.

-SamS

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try to get a hops male from the seeds I've got. I once tried pollinating hops with hemp pollen but it's difficult because the few pistils in hops are covered by these scales..

I'm really not expecting to succeed but I'll try just for the heck of it.

stoopid

Wow, I guess I wasn't the only one who was so fucking intrigued by this. We know that only some hops plants if any can cross pollinate cannabis, but does this concept apply to the cannabis plant which needs to be selected as well?

The genus Cannabis was formerly placed with nettles in the family Urticaceae or with mulberries in the family Moraceae, but is now considered along with hops (Humulus sp.) to belong to the family Cannabaceae. Whether the different strains of Cannabis constitute a single species (Cannabis sativa L.) or multiple species has been a contentious issue for well over two centuries.[1][2]

By the way, the guy succesfully crossed it and if you ask me, it's the real deal. He had one funky plant. Just to correct somebody else who posted before this, the guy also had real pot plants growing alongside this experiment. I'm pretty sure the other shit tested positive, the raid was simply illegal because his experiment plants were tested to not be MJ, therefore irrelevant and illegal to seize.

Last edited:

stoopid

Which post?....his thread is fucking huge man on that site. I'll do it later if nobody else has I've got to go see my babies now! thirsty mofuggas

Latest posts

Latest posts