What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Questions for Sam the Skunkman on Hindu Kush Indicas

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I just read this whole thread, took me a few nights but it is the most interesting thread I have read to date. If anyone gets a chance, it is an excellent and extremely informative read with lots of replies from Sam. Just thought I would say so.

TGT

jarmon

Try Flying Dutchman or Seedsmen UK, they did have my seeds but I don't know what they sell today.

-SamS

Has anyone else here grown out the seedsman afghani? I have seen very few grow reports. I got some as a freebie and so far am growing only a male. The smell is really great even in veg - very skunky with maybe a bit of passionfruit but I was surprised by the leaf shape it is quite a lot narrower than one would expect from a pure indica. Obviously it has been a long time since it was initially collected- not sure how the transformation might have taken place...

Madjag

Veteran

I have a pack of Seedsman Afghani #1 that yielded only one fertile seed out of 10. I purchased it from a cannabis seed company in Spain, good people and service, however I think it may have been a bit too old. That's the main problem with purchasing from a second tier vendor rather than straight from the source. Seedsman, though, doesn't sell or ship directly to the USA.

It took a long time to germ as well, maybe 14 days under a T5 CFL. It is skinny-leafed, as you mentioned. I was questioning it for the very same reason.

Years ago, perhaps 1979, I grew some of the very original Afghani #1 that I received directly from Sacred Seeds, the purveyor and developer of that strain. They had fatter leaves, at least during flowering when I took photos of the plants. Keep in touch and I'll let you know if it's a male or female and later I'll give a smoke report.

Peace,
MJ

jarmon

The seed I tried was fast to germinate. By a long time from collection I mean the genes have been outside of Afghanistan for a long time so some changes may have occurred through environment or human selection or perhaps even intentional or unintentional pollination(hopefully not the last one). No idea- still happy to give them a whirl though.

Madjag

Veteran
Seedsman Afghani #1

Seedsman Afghani #1

The seed I tried was fast to germinate. By a long time from collection I mean the genes have been outside of Afghanistan for a long time so some changes may have occurred through environment or human selection or perhaps even intentional or unintentional pollination(hopefully not the last one). No idea- still happy to give them a whirl though.

The original Afghani #1 seeds were intentionally acclimatized and selectively bred by Sacred Seeds in the Santa Cruz, California area. It's all in their documentation on the seed packs. So you are correct in mentioning that the Afghani genes have changed over time.

Seedsman received stock at some point from Sam S (according to him) and their current seeds may represent the closest of any available today to the original Sacred Seeds Afghani #1.

Mine turned out to be a female:

jarmon

Sorry the photo is not great but you can see the narrow leaves and lankiness of it. I am still looking forward to grow a girl from them in proper conditions I quite like the odour.

picture.php

Original Afghani #1 male

Last edited:

Nirrity

...(Colombian x Mazar) x (Mazar x Colombian)...
hello Sam, do you recall what was the flowering time on each one (Colombian and Mazar) and what's was the flowering time on the resulting selfed cross? Also what was the breeding purpose to made them selfed?

:tiphat:

jarmon

Does anyone else have any pics of mature seedsman afgahni #1? I'm pretty stoked to be able to use this sacred seeds relic and will post pics of any decent females and crosses I get from them.

jarmon

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=34992&pictureid=825209&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I have a pack of Seedsman Afghani #1 that yielded only one fertile seed out of 10. I purchased it from a cannabis seed company in Spain, good people and service, however I think it may have been a bit too old. That's the main problem with purchasing from a second tier vendor rather than straight from the source. Seedsman, though, doesn't sell or ship directly to the USA.

It took a long time to germ as well, maybe 14 days under a T5 CFL. It is skinny-leafed, as you mentioned. I was questioning it for the very same reason.

Years ago, perhaps 1979, I grew some of the very original Afghani #1 that I received directly from Sacred Seeds, the purveyor and developer of that strain. They had fatter leaves, at least during flowering when I took photos of the plants. Keep in touch and I'll let you know if it's a male or female and later I'll give a smoke report.

Peace,
MJ

If you are still around it would be cool to hear how it smoked?

Madjag

Veteran
If I had to guess what's going on with this particular pheno and individual plant I'd say it was very high CBD. The THC-type high was light and airy, not what you'd expect from an Afghani#1. This could mean low THC content.

The relief of pain aspect....I don't have any particular pain other than daily stretch and strain. I was hoping to have a test subject who could use it and tell, but he moved. It never grew large and the buds were very airy also, like the high, looking almost totally like a Sativa. Hmmm...

Happy 7

If you smoke a high THC plant right after you've smoked a high CBD plant you won't get high.
If you smoke a high THC plant right after you've smoked a low THC plant you get high.
That's how you can determine a high CBD plant without expensive equipment or lab testing.
:wave:

jarmon

If I had to guess what's going on with this particular pheno and individual plant I'd say it was very high CBD. The THC-type high was light and airy, not what you'd expect from an Afghani#1. This could mean low THC content.

The relief of pain aspect....I don't have any particular pain other than daily stretch and strain. I was hoping to have a test subject who could use it and tell, but he moved. It never grew large and the buds were very airy also, like the high, looking almost totally like a Sativa. Hmmm...

It doesn't sound terrible. I'm not keen on really high thc weed anyway. I used some pollen from mine on some Pakistan Chitral Kush as they were the only two strains I had. Hopefully PCK adds something pleasant to it and some density. How was the smell and taste?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I finished a Afghani #1 from Seedsman. Was thin leaved and buds were not dense almost airy.

Anyways, the buzz is very indica. Sedative with some euphoria but no mental excitement or urge to go do anything. Would be good for insomnia. Potency is good but not a killer type of high.

Taste is typical Afghan, kinda earthy and hashy.

I only grew 1 plant so this example may not tell the whole story.

Madjag

Veteran
Afghani #1 Single Leaf

Afghani #1 Single Leaf

Here are some closeups of the Afghani #1 from seedsman i grew last year that was more Sativa looking than Indica:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

mack 10

Veteran
has that plant been revegged? if not it has crazy a leaf trait, Also the serrations are pretty mad too
.very strange for a pure Afghani? indeed hummm?

197caregiver

has that plant been revegged? if not it has crazy a leaf trait, Also the serrations are pretty mad too
.very strange for a pure Afghani? indeed hummm?

Was wondering the same thing but usually a reveg doesn't look quite as uniform as this plant more twisted but there all different ... I actually have an LSD going right now that after being set into flower started growing all single leaves .. All the leaves in veg were normal so it was wierd

I thought probably SamS himself or anyone another here will help me know little more, I need it much. Here is it:

Ngakpa from RealSeedCompany said:
"IMHO strains in the Sacred Seeds catalogue like Kandahari, Tirah, Khyber Agency and also Afghani No. 1 and Deep Chunk are likely to originate as most of their names would suggest from growing regions of the 'Pashtun belt' area... there is plenty of planting and quality charas coming from these regions as anyone who is mad enough to visit will find out".

Is it possible to look at SamS' kandahari and khyberi plants, some of that old photos if they are in his or others' archives? This is very interesting for me. Thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts