What's new

Perennial strains are here

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Atleast according to Pukka seeds. They seem to have released two autoflowering strains with a perennial rootsystem. In other words the roots will survive winter atleast in England, giving new growth every spring.

:nono:

How's that possible? Did they find a perennial ruderalis strain from Siberia or crossed cannabis to hops? What's going on? To my knowledge there are no perennial strains in the cannabis genepool and finding a mutant with that trait seems unlike to say the least.

Here's the breeder's description on the other one of the strains:

Long John Silver

"You heard of the low rider well this is the high rider"
Type Indoor/Outdoor
Flowering 7 weeks
Yield 350-400g/m2

This variety has been a long time coming and definitively confirms that the times they are a changing! As believe it or not this is deciduous herbaceous perennial strain!

For those of you that are not that horticulturally aware this means it has the ability to re-emerge after it has died.

Yes the seeds and not so commonly the plant can over winter and re-emerge come the spring, as in this little, or should we say big beauty will auto flower once it is established - if left to be it will set seeds, then these seeds will grow and then these plants will do the same thing so on and so forth ad infinitum!

For those of you that have still not seen the light, this means that it can grow wild and if left unchecked will colonise the areas where it is placed! in one season it can produce 3-4 generations of offspring and as each generation matures they will do the samething!

In plain English this variety can grow wild and colonise - if left will come back with a vengeance every season there after!

This strain has similar genetic characteristics as the Big Bad John (auto flowering) variety however is mellow as a chellow compared to its obese stronger older brother.

Other seed banks have tried to buy the entire supply from us to stop these seeds hitting the market for fear of what this would do to the seed industry! But lol this is more important than mere money - let these seeds go forth and prosper and re take what is rightfully theirs :)

Last edited:

Hans Blix

I guess time will tell. The company's text is hardly informative.

[...]if left to be it will set seeds, then these seeds will grow and then these plants will do the same thing so on and so forth ad infinitum![...]
That's perfectly normal.

Last edited:

RubbaDub

I've heard of some Colombian Blacks doing the perennial thing... but not in the UK. I thought that was more of an equatorial sativa trait while grown on or near the equator.

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I live in the North of Spain...and the weather is worse in UK,that´s for sure...
I don´t think that the roots can survive the winter frost :D

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
having had a little experience in dealing with this company i'm going to take those claims with a little pinch of salt-or maybe a rather large one, like an oil terminal full, if that's possible.
For those of you that are not that horticulturally aware.....
don't you just hate being patronised like that?
Other seed banks have tried to buy the entire supply from us to stop these seeds hitting the market for fear of what this would do to the seed industry!
OH! Come on......seriously, this is getting silly now...
But lol this is more important than mere money -
(coughs)

eddie

B

Bluebeard

Thats fascinating, I'm truly not surprised by anything that cannabis is capable of anymore. Cannabis is thought of as the only dioecious annual. Too bad they don't mention a zone hardiness list which is bound to get them in trouble with customers not getting the desired result, even if it does do what they say.

As Mr Celsius suggested, the soil can retain heat quite well. I have some darjeeling red edible banana plants which do the same, of course they are far from being cannabis. I would imagine that mulching would be crucial to protect as much of the root system as possible.

Like Eddie shoestring , I will remain skeptical, but I won't say it is impossible. I have seen tropical perennials, which arent capable of reemerging from roots but do grow for multiple years and reveg with no fuctuation in light cycle.

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hans Blix said:
What about stinging nettle (urtica dioica)?

..and wasn´t cannabis included in the fam urticaceae many many years ago?

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
guys-i admire your faith in the human spirit, i really do, but
Yes the seeds and not so commonly the plant can over winter and re-emerge come the spring, as in this little, or should we say big beauty will auto flower once it is established - if left to be it will set seeds, then these seeds will grow and then these plants will do the same thing so on and so forth ad infinitum!
i'm reading that and honestly thinking that they are saying that the budz will hermie-set seed-some will drop and some may grow again-i got plenty of bagseed that will do that-

i hope i'm wrong

cheers
eddie

Ganico

Veteran
Hans Blix said:
And this is is confusing:

"Not so commonly the plant"?

HAHAHAHAHA! I missed that at first, that's just classic. They could make a killing off swamp land

chizzleonetime

looks like its saying that the plant will come back on its own if i wanted to do that id leave male and the same thing would happen i dont see how they can class this as a perrenial

B

Bluebeard

Actually, stinging nettles are all perennials, but otherwise you were correct and I was wrong. There are other dioecious annuals. I had read an old research paper on types of dioecious species that must have been really outdated.

You're misreading it, and it's not as easy to see the misleading info from the poor translation or English they give. "Yes the seeds and not so commonly the plant can over winter and re-emerge come the spring". Add a missing word a few different places and it makes sense, Seeds will grow (obv) and sometimes plant(never cannabis) can SURVIVE over winter and re-emerge next spring. I wonder what other spin words or methods will be used in the unclear future of MJ sales. PEACE

oldtoker

yea it just herms out they even say so themselves, how it can do it 3-4 times in 1 season(in a climate like mine) i dunno if u truly want plant like that ur gona first have to flower it cut most the buds off leave some leaf and bud's and reveg it and thats not really the same at all as having a true plant that grows from the root ball after frost, or survies all winter, by being dormant ect... im not a botanist just my own idea of the word,perineal,

Yes the seeds and not so commonly the plant unless somehow you dont mutilate it upon harvest, let it freeze over winter, have the deer eat it, shot at by hunters, pissed on by hill billys or anything else that might happen in only america and re-emerge come the spring it will be quite the sight to behold a plant that produces seeds for you and well who knows what kind of bud because they havnt said much about it.

the plant flowers, its pollinated(either self, or otherwise) produces the seeds, dies, the buds fall to the ground a few seeds might fall out a, few stay in the bud, it rots a few seeds germiante, the seeds that fell might not(unless it rains or ect....) those plants grow might make a cycle( might die of frost) make a plant, and those seeds and buds fall. and ect

the overtaking of a area does sound nice though, but in climates like some of us are in i wonder how viable the seeds really would be after all the freeze, and ect..... how many seeds would start as the bud they were in rotted????? after they spout they would obviousley flower right away again due to the light cycle, could they make it to seed again? and if they do what will happen if those buds rot? they germinate, so i guess u hope they freeze in a bud that fell? untell spring? im sure this would work fine after global warming effects for a few more 30 years but right now it seems to only be viable in some regions were the climate and daytime periods would allow. also honestly are you sure they arent just gettin rid of some hermie seeds or something? lol huge bags of hermie seeds for sale alwasy hermies lol. it's greattttt

oldtoker said:
the plant flowers, its pollinated(either self, or otherwise) produces the seeds, dies, the buds fall to the ground a few seeds might fall out a, few stay in the bud, it rots a few seeds germiante, the seeds that fell might not(unless it rains or ect....) those plants grow might make a cycle( might die of frost) make a plant, and those seeds and buds fall. and ect

the overtaking of a area does sound nice though, but in climates like some of us are in i wonder how viable the seeds really would be after all the freeze, and ect..... how many seeds would start as the bud they were in rotted????? after they spout they would obviousley flower right away again due to the light cycle, could they make it to seed again? and if they do what will happen if those buds rot? they germinate, so i guess u hope they freeze in a bud that fell? untell spring? im sure this would work fine after global warming effects for a few more 30 years but right now it seems to only be viable in some regions were the climate and daytime periods would allow. also honestly are you sure they arent just gettin rid of some hermie seeds or something? lol huge bags of hermie seeds for sale alwasy hermies lol. it's greattttt

dude if weed seeds couldnt survive the winter there would be no weed lol and they wouldnt germ over the winter they would wait for the warm spring temps to germ. weed never needed humans to survive, travel yes but survive no

we'll blame this one on being too high lol

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
some equatorial sativa strains are true perennials in that you can harvest again and again over the course of more than one season. hell some Columbians will veg under 12/12 light for over a year before starting to flower. there are a lot of phenotypes in cannabis it just happens that these plant tend to flower for months on end (some said to never stop flowering) and these traits aren't ideal for indoor or commercial cultivation ... and so you don't see many of these strains... sad.