What's new

Drying bud outdoors: Humidity, temperature, and evaporation

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
This season there was alot of talk about outdoor drying, meaning drying in a outdoor enviroment under a rainshield like a thick tree canopy, a tarp, or some other roof, but with no heat to help strip moisture.

Years ago I tried to dry my buds outdoors, I set up a tarp to shield from rain and hung the buds under the tarp. After about 10 days the buds were still nearly as wet as they were when I hung them and I decided to move them indoors before mold set in.
Again this year I attempted outdoor drying, this time I left them hanging longer than 10 days, after about 2 weeks I noticed that mold was forming on the surface of the buds. The mold was not the species that causes bud-rot, this mold was the type you might find growing on any cellulose bearing item that stays wet too long, like a old news paper or a lost t-shirt laying in the backyard.
At any rate, it may not have been bud-rot, but it was still mold. If I had no ethics, I'm sure I could have sold this bud to unsuspecting smokers, and they may have not known the difference, but I don't do that. I couldn't watch my freinds smoke the mold.

At any rate, I decided to do a thread explaining outdoor bud drying, and why it doesn't work in some enviroments. There is no denying that it does work for some growers in some places, but some folks in some climates should take care!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we are drying our buds we are essentially removing water from our buds, this make the buds able to burn in a pipe or joint, and also makes storing the buds easier, since our main enemy -MOLD- needs a certain level of moisture to live and grow.

We dry the buds by allowing the moisture to leave the buds through the act of evaporation. Evaporation is the process of water turning from its liquid form into its gaseous form(steam, mist, clouds, fog). The opposite of evaporation is condensation(dew,rain,snow).

Once moisture is evaporated into gas(or vapor), it is suspended in the air, and now it is measured as humidity. For our case, we are mainly concerned with what is known as relative humidity, this being the amount of moisture the air can carry at a given temperature.

Generally the higher the temperature, the more moisture the air can absorb and hold. As the temp drops, the air is able to absorb and hold less and less moisture(and the rate of drying drops to a crawl). The temperature at which the air can no longer absorb more moisture is known as the dew point, as long as the temperature is significantly above the dew point, evaporation can still occur, when the temp drops to or below the dew point the opposite will happen, and the water will condense into dew or precipitation.

7710Relative_Humidity.GIF

Another thing to realize is that simply because it is raining doesn't mean that the humidity is high. I have seen many members here declare that outdoor drying works well even in high humidity, their reasoning for this is that their buds dried even when it was raining!
The problem with this reasoning is that the presence of rain at ground level only means that the temp has dropped below the dewpoint at the level in the atmosphere where the rain is forming, the dewpoint can still remain low enough to allow evaporation at ground level despite the falling rain. Repeat, falling rain does not mean high humidity at ground level.

The bottom line is that how well outdoor drying works depends on your local climate. If temps are staying high, like mostly over 50-60F,and relative humidity is low(below 70% or so) chances are good that this method will work for you, but the lower the temp, and the higher the relative humidity, the less and less chance you have of getting your bud dry before mold forms.

If I were to try and dry my buds outdoors in temps below 60F, I would want to see humidity quite low, like 60% or less.

sativa92

killer info... but if you are drying outdoors at temps below 60 degrees how could one lower the humidity to keep from ruining youre crop???

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent thread Backcountry! Thanks so much for putting this up! Works for me EVERY YEAR here in the midwest.... Definately a must to watch for large rain events and dry around those times....

And don't forget the windspeed has a lot to do with drying time as well.... A windy site will dry plants much quicker than a site with stagnant air....

Underneath a trailer is an awesome site... Inside is even better, but watch the stagnant air inside!!!! Prop a door or 2 open, and they'll dry more quickly... I ended up with a little mold even without any rain inside a semi this year.... Its totally climate dependant.... You've got to be observant, and think ahead..... Its not rocket science.... :canabis:

How I dry my bees and cucumber beetles.... :D

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
pipeline said:
.... Its totally climate dependant....
Yes, timing for your specific climate is important.

In late June/early July this year, I harvested a forced flowered crop, and I dried a fair ammount of it hanging in a tree, but I had to bring in the last part of the crop after a bit of mold showed up after a spell of rain and fog.

If I grew early varieties that would allow harvest in mid-Sept, I am sure outdoor drying would work quite well for me, since temps are still not far out of summer range(65-70F), and humidity is usually fairly low yet.
But mid-October is just a mold fest here, no way around it, mushrooms anyone?

A big part of this thread was to show why outdoor drying can work even when it is raining in a given local, I got the feeling earlier this year that many people were not understanding my more basic explainations.
Sorry about the rocket science pipeline, it has to be done sometimes..........

Last edited:
S

SevenSeeds

Another revival! I'm laughing at you being so humble about the mold! lol....your a great guy man, a fucking genius too! always such good information can't thank you enough! maybe my revivals will help :)

dkmonk

Damn, glad i read this although it creates a problem, since i dont know were im going to dry this year, I live in Indiana and it is usually very humid, the sticky cant breath type of hot weather.

My plan was to dry outside, but im definatle not doing this, becuase it will mold my bud.

THC123

Veteran
The best soplution to drying is a drybox, finally got one after so many years.

My weed is finally drying after 4 months in the attick with fan and dehumidifier.

So the fan and dehumidfier werentt enoug to get the buds dry.

But in the drybox they dry wonderfully and equally:woohoo:

dkmonk

I wish i could do this but the smell is the problem and my current living location would be curious why i have a big box in the basement with ventilation hooked up, they know i smoke, but just say keep it out of sight.

I am just going to ask another promenant grower if i can use their garge when they harvest theirs too, and pay them a couple of ounces.

THC123

Veteran
Good idea

Cuz if u live in an area with high or variable humidity drying can take forever and it has it's effect on the taste if the bud goes from dry to moist to dry to moist , never obtaining real dryness.

I had to dry in a outdoor building this year & it SUCKED. I had power, but no dehumidy, so I had a fan, but humidity swung from 30-40% in the afternoon to 90-100% in the wee morning hours. Sometimes rain would come for 2-3 days and humidity would range between 95-100% all day, the fan was key for preventing mold.

One time I didn't have the fan on and got the light surface mold you were talking about. Regardless I found it a bitch, it killed my smell, and it wouldn't fully dry either, I had to wait until humidity was low & then bring ithe house to finish up, but by that point the smell wasn't much of a problem. I couldn't imagine what I would have done if I had to stick to my original plan of drying it outdoors, I would have lost everything if I couldn't have a fan going in there.

hamstring

Veteran
Le-roy
If your climate is 90-100% humidity you wont be able to dry outdoors that just makes sense to me. What you did mention, that I thought was significant, was that the smell had diminished when you brought it indoors.

I think that’s the point. When I first dried outdoors I ended up with a little mold and said, "It can't be done." What i later learned is that it’s a tool in the guerrilla-growing bag not a solution to all the drying woes we have. Use it like you said to rid the bud of some smell and or moisture. If you’re lucky enough to have a low humidity climate then drying outdoors is certainly a possibility.

Glad you had a successful year and you gained valuable experience for next season.

PEACE

mackie40

I would sell that shit dude.. that doesn't mean I'm shady either.. people will go nuts for that shit and be banging down your door for it... there is nothing unsafe with it. I would give a discounted price of course, but what else you gonna do? Give it away? whoever you give it to will turn around and sell it. I know this from experience.

Anyway, on another note, you probably have seen this guy before but here is the link to his video. He drys his herb outdoors and shows how he does it. This is the first video of a 7 part series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyk0KBoGaB8&feature=related

I was planning on drying my herb like he does his, but you have me thinking that it might not be as easy in the SE USA as for him in New Zealand.

Le-roy
If your climate is 90-100% humidity you wont be able to dry outdoors that just makes sense to me. What you did mention, that I thought was significant, was that the smell had diminished when you brought it indoors.

I think that’s the point. When I first dried outdoors I ended up with a little mold and said, "It can't be done." What i later learned is that it’s a tool in the guerrilla-growing bag not a solution to all the drying woes we have. Use it like you said to rid the bud of some smell and or moisture. If you’re lucky enough to have a low humidity climate then drying outdoors is certainly a possibility.

Glad you had a successful year and you gained valuable experience for next season.

PEACE

Thanks, and yeah you hit it on the head, except it lost smell in a bad way if left in the wet/dry cycle to long. If I was able to go back in time (I'd have alot more bud!) I would do 1-week MAX in my climate, anything after that is just wetting & drying wetting & drying and not doing a damn thing except killing smell in a bad way & risking mold.

Latest posts

Latest posts