What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What exactly IS Durban Poison?

RubbaDub

I'd like to find out a bit more about the origins of Durban Poison. Forgive me if these questions sound dumb, but I've done a bit of reading and still looking for clear answers.

Is it a true landrace strain or a newer IBL or hybrid?
Is it a generic term for a variety of strains found in South Africa?
When was the term "Durban Poison" first used and did the same herb have a different name before?

Thanks!

Rubs

I

igrohydro

An ibl is inbreed line,one of these is Skunk 1.
Nortern Lights would be a good example of a hybrid,a cross of cultvars.
As far as im aware its been called Durban Poison from begining,its african,a sativa.
As far as i know its a true land race. :rasta:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Durban is a town, no weed grows there, but there is plenty in all the other areas around SA..........

DP is a classic Weed brand name, like Thai Sicks.... it means nothing really. Dutch seed growers have made strains from these genetics and marketed them.....

Some DP, PPP, Swazi genetics offered commercially have other influences in there that make them a "non landrace strain" AFAIK.

T

TheOneWill

Sorry for ask this question but is all Durban Poison plants auto flower?
Because I got Jack's Poison and they auto flowered on me which is fine but just wondering. Because I just got some regular Durban Poison seeds.

DP's power plant is supposed to be an IBL made from South African genetics. It's a mellow sativa, a real daytime smoke from what i remember.

RubbaDub

just found something interesting reading another thread on african strains;

http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/312S_A_-H_T_02.jpg

I wonder how accurate this is:

"Lesotho, the mountain kingdom, and its neighboring province in South Africa, Kwazulu Natal are responsible for the tight lime green heads that have received notoriety as the world's famous Durban Poison."

So, does that mean World of Seeds "South African Kwazulu" is really the same thing as Durban Poison under a different name?

wotamess

RubbaDub said:
"Lesotho, the mountain kingdom, and its neighboring province in South Africa, Kwazulu Natal are responsible for the tight lime green heads that have received notoriety as the world's famous Durban Poison."

that's pretty much on the money...

durban is the capital city of the natal region, which sits bang in between the transkei [EDIT] seen as 'eastern cape' on the map, to the west and swaziland to the east. lesotho borders natal to the north west, and the drakensberg mountain range flanks these borders.

kwazulu-natal-map.gif

weed is grown en masse in lesotho and on the slopes of the drakensberg, and is generally of a decent quality, but poison is different. it arrives wrapped in 'pencils'... tiny paper wraps... that sell for a premium. it's exceptionally potent, always basically sensi (seed findings are lucky!) and bright lime green... also only really found in durban, hence the name. i haven't seen a pencil in a loooooong time, though... that being said, i haven't been to durban in a looooooong time!! i have, though, found very similar lime green, weed in the transkei... the best part about it, is we got a massive bag of loose, manicured bud, as opposed to the tighly wrapped 'pencils'! that is still today the best weed ever IMO... even after ploughing through amsterdam hunting down the best there... DNA's RECON comes close,though!

so, in conclusion, it's my opinion that DP is a dialled in, selected version of basic kwazulu/lesotho sativa.

i'm in South Africa for the next 3 1/2 months, so the hunt is on for the fine stuff... right now i'll make do with the 4 oz sack of generic swazi i bought for $50!!

-wam-

Last edited:

Miss T

I could be wrong, but I think DurbanPoison was actually a Hybrid developed in California in the 70's from an African Durban and something else.
It might have been bred to an IBL but it certainly isnt IBL/Land Race to Africa, or it wouldnt finish so early in North America think about it.
Misty.

Last edited:

MedResearcher

Veteran
I know the real deal Durban Poison is very very strong herb.

I use to get some indoor Durban and some outdoor durban, and it was superb always. Some of the best weed I have ever come across.

A bong hit would bring people to tears easily. Problem was it was soo good, and so notorious around this area that it was very expensive if you were even lucky enough to get some.

My buddy use to get some bubble hash from it..... most insane hash I have ever seen/smoked. It was super plyable and very light brown even golden in color. Would melt and bubble, you didnt feel the smoke go in, but man when you blew it out, you pretty much were brought to tears and instantly regretted taking such a large hit as you wipe off the drool and snot coming out of your mouth and nose.

The description of tight lime green nugs hits it on the head, I wish I could get some of the seeds, im just worried that the ones you can order arent the real deal. :rasta:

wotamess

Miss T said:
I could be wrong, but I think DurbanPoison was actually a Hybrid developed in California in the 70's from an African Durban and something else.
It might have been bred to an IBL but it certainly isnt IBL/Land Race to Africa, or it wouldnt finish so early in North America think about it.
Misty.

eh misty, sorry, but no no no!
durban poison has been a stalwart of south african marijuana for many moons... i'm south african, i know!! it's ealy flowering is a phenomenon noone can really point out, but i reckon it's a combo of elevation and traditional breeding.

-wam-

Miss T

Ok wam, but I have read somewhere else that it was bred further in cali refined to the point it is now. like I said, I could be wrong.
But there is no mystery to a land race strain responding to its natural photoperiod, and to my understanding, there is no possible way an African sativa could finish much of anywhere in NorthAmerica other than it being hybridised or acclimated. elevation would not effect the photoperiod enuf to render it usefull to a northern climate.

landraces are just that, and theres not much you can do to influance the effect of a plants recognition of photoperiod, within a few given decades anyway.
I wouldnt be ignorant enuff to doubt your heritage or place of living but cannabis is fairly simple in this aspect, and quite telling of it origin as per its cycles.
As Ive said, I may be mistaken. But mabey what you know as Durban Poison, and what NorthAmericans know as Durban Poison, are 2 different things. because there is NO way a land race from your region, would bloom early in the northern climates of N.America. just no way, especially a stable or IBL landrace. It just dosent work.

thanks for the discussion, I look foreward to more.
Misty.

T

TheOneWill

So could anyone tell me if this strain suppose to be an auto flower or not?

Gert Lush

Veteran
Miss T said:
Ok wam, but I have read somewhere else that it was bred further in cali refined to the point it is now.
Hi Miss T,

Wotamess is spot on, I remember smoking DP in the 70s in SA, it was well established years (perhaps a century or more) before it ever saw Cali!

OTOH, if by saying "refined to the point it is now" you mean the skunkified offerings of the Dutch seed banks, then OK. However, that stuff doesn't necessarily bear any resemblance to the real thing when it's at home :wink:

I would imagine that DP is originally Lesotho Highland (where it developed the early flowering trait) perhaps readapted to the humid conditions of Zululand.

----

LOL @ Raco!

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

wotamess said:
that's pretty much on the money...

durban is the capital city of the natal region, which sits bang in between the transkei [EDIT] seen as 'eastern cape' on the map, to the west and swaziland to the east. lesotho borders natal to the north west, and the drakensberg mountain range flanks these borders.

kwazulu-natal-map.gif

weed is grown en masse in lesotho and on the slopes of the drakensberg, and is generally of a decent quality, but poison is different. it arrives wrapped in 'pencils'... tiny paper wraps... that sell for a premium. it's exceptionally potent, always basically sensi (seed findings are lucky!) and bright lime green... also only really found in durban, hence the name. i haven't seen a pencil in a loooooong time, though... that being said, i haven't been to durban in a looooooong time!! i have, though, found very similar lime green, weed in the transkei... the best part about it, is we got a massive bag of loose, manicured bud, as opposed to the tighly wrapped 'pencils'! that is still today the best weed ever IMO... even after ploughing through amsterdam hunting down the best there... DNA's RECON comes close,though!

so, in conclusion, it's my opinion that DP is a dialled in, selected version of basic kwazulu/lesotho sativa.

i'm in South Africa for the next 3 1/2 months, so the hunt is on for the fine stuff... right now i'll make do with the 4 oz sack of generic swazi i bought for $50!!

-wam-

That map reminded me of a theory i heard on origins of pot. th theory is that when the continents were all one land mass Africa and India were touching ( the east coast of africa connected to west coast of india , they fit like a puzzle) . some say that the same plant was in the region and when the continents split the one plant stay in africa and stayed more sativa and the ones that floated with the indian land mass ended up being trafficed and made it to mountains like Kush and so on. Just intersting. Sorry if i jacked your thread

nevermind

Gert Lush

Veteran
Interesting theory mr. Nevermind, but the time scales are a bit too long (like millions of years)

Far more likely, IMHO, that it was introduced by man, in this case probably Arab slave traders. It's also interesting that cannabis has invariably appeared where Indian communities have settled, whether that's the West Indies, Central Africa (Kenya, Uganda, etc.), Indian Ocean islands like Reunion, Madacascar, etc., or even Polynesia, e.g. Fiji. Durban had a significant history of Indian settlement, too.

Gert Lush

Veteran
Hans Blix said:
It's not supposed to autoflower.
Yup, that's right! It's not an autoflowerer.

OTOH, it does flower very early, maybe that's led to some confusion.
Perhaps the OP can tell us something abou the conditions under which his cross "autoflowered".

G

So whos durban poison is the one to try?? Point us in the right direction someone please..