What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Filipino Grow!

I'm looking to start up an outdoor grow in the Philippines where the average temperature during the day is 85-90 F with a humidity of 60%. There are two seasons in the Philippines, the wet season and the dry season. However, the amount of sunlight everday is pretty much 12 hours. I know that I am going to have to grow out a sativa dominant plant to fight off mold and heat. I plan to vegetate the plants for a month under a 24 hour light cycle with fluorescents than place them outside under the sun. I don't want to grow the local land races as I want some nice crystally bud.

Any suggestions on what strains would work under these conditions? Do you think the temperature and humidity would prevent a successful grow? Your comments would be much appreciated.

landraces

landraces

here are some pics of bud and hash in the philippines from sagada. sagada is located high in the mountains and the best bud in philippines supposedly comes from this region that includes kalinga apayao and the cordilleras. i'm assuming they are all landraces. they definitely have a nice up high, but they aren't very potent. the flavor is both spicy and earthy.

i'd like to stabilize this landrace and eventually cross it with a more potent variety. since i don't live in the moutain regions, i would like to start an outdoor grow with some potent seeds like kali mist or some other sativa that will do well under the climate conditions here and provide me with a nice personal stash. i have friends who live up in the mountains and good work on the landrace stabilization. any suggestions? what books, articles are available for landrace stabilization? i've been collecting seeds for the past two years and have accumulated quite a lot.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hey Smoke T, them are some fearsome Sagada buds. If a call goes out for volunteers to conduct potency evaluations give me a holler. Kali Mist sounds like a good Sativa to grow. It supposedly has high mold resistance and delivers a nice social up buzz, as well as the most mouth-watering spicy aroma even before you fire up. Matter of fact I've got a few Mist seeds headed my way in the mail, hopefully.

California Orange Bud or any of the Hawaiian sativas would be my other choice for your climate and daylight hours. All have a great citrus smell and a moderate high, plus would be easy grows where you are.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
You could probably grow anything you wanted. As for breeding get a good crop in and learn how to grow the plant before worrying about breeding IMO from what you've said. Does your collection include a lot of breeder strains with names you can list?

Deft

Veteran
Ooo yea all the Hawian strains might be very sutable for your locale and taste.

deft, all the seeds i've been collecting have been from the filipino landrace sativas. they all vary in potency, looks, etc. if i were to take on a breeding project to stabilize these landraces, how large scale would this process be? would i need to grow out at least 100 of these seeds? any good recommendations for reading up on this sort of the stuff?

Deft

Veteran
Breeding forum, I dont know much about it but I do have an interest in sabalized landraces. Will watch to see where this goes!

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
IMO you're still gonna get freak plants with IBLs. I would also attempt to grow some hybrids so you have a variety of smoke. Skunks would do very well. I live quite close to the Philippines and my weather is similar, but it's much dryer here in the Winter. I'm actually doing a bunch of 100% indicas. Hopefully they don't mold too bad (I'm pretty sure I'll get some mold).

You could grow out a bunch of plants, and find the male and female you like best. Some characteristics to consider are 1. flowering time, 2. potency, 3. mold resistance 4. taste and 5. vigor. Nothing wrong with smoking a little male leaf to gauge potency once in a while ;)

How about Sensi Skunk or Shiva Skunk from Sensi Seeds? AK-48 grew really well for me this summer, but it got ripped.

BTW, how far is Sagada from Manila? What's the best way to get up there? I've heard about it and I'd like to get some of those landrace seeds and some hash to puff on.

Last edited:
thanks glock. what do you mean by IBL? landraces? did you grow out ak-48 from nirvana? how long did it take from seed to harvest? did you use a 34 hour veg period before flowering or did you just put them straight under the sun?

i was thinking a haze or something like kali mist. sagada is about 14 hours from manila. you first take a bus to baguio then another to sagada. its a long ride, but definitely worth the trip. all the hash and weed you can smoke for dirt cheap and the locals are nice. the scenery is also gorgeous.if you ever need any help when you're in the Philippines, PM me, i'd be glad to help.

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
you get some hellaNice local stuff overthere SmokeTayo.. the bud looks smokable and the hash looks damn good!

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Nice pics ST!

I absolutely love your country and it's people and have visited often.I support and understand your desire to better your strain situation,but would encourage you to do it with great care.Your country holds a great deal of potential for great genetics and diversity,and because of that,it would be necessary to use great diligence in protecting them from being "tainted".Please do all that you can to assure that foreign pollen does notpollute the gene pool.

My guess is that supplemental lighting will be necessary with any (or most) hybrids because of your short daylength.Most hybrids put outside will try to go right to flower,and will need added hours to veg properly.(as you stated earlier) Starting them indoors for veg and moving outdoors for flower is a good idea.

SP

Last edited:

Blazed_Out

Hey smoke_tayo (<-- maybe one day we will).
I suggest growing out some Haze over there or some mostly sativa hybrid strains. I really don't suggest any indica dominant stuff or the local growers might start ditching their landraces and start playing with the indica strains more.
Your stabilization idea is good. I was thinking about that since my last trip to the Philippines in 2005 but the weed where I was staying wasn't top notch I gotta say (but kept some seeds anyway). Tried some of the weed from Baguio from some cousins of mine which reminded me of some type of chocolate/coffee tasting Thai I've had.
Neville's Haze would do good in the PI and like some of the other posters suggested, Hawaiians will do good too.

glock23 said:
BTW, how far is Sagada from Manila? What's the best way to get up there? I've heard about it and I'd like to get some of those landrace seeds and some hash to puff on.
It's about 275km north of Manila and about 100km away from Baguio.
These mountainous areas are known for their growing conditions because it is very cool and close to the sunlight where pine trees are abundant (didn't call it the Philippines for nothing).

Last edited:

Deft

Veteran
Kali mist is one I REALY want to grow out, if you think you can I would go for it as a side thing to smoke. IBL = In Bread Line, anything thats been bread for phenotypical stability, often "land races" are IBLs that have been developed in an area over a long time (decades to milenia) and its often the potent stuff thats been selected for out of local wild stuff. Get the best local strains of thai that you like the smoke of a lot and grow out a lot of them, then you can select the best few from examples from seed from each strain and take clones and start crossing. Once you produce a cross you like the smoke and grow charictoristics from start in breeding it till the seed produced from it is usualy a consistant version of what you want and then you have your ultimate thai, made with your taste in mind. Keep in mind that the more genetics you throw into soil in terms of seed the more chances you have of finding the plants you realy like and being able to breed them with eachother.

C

Chamba

grow local strains of course!

germinate seeds from buds with the best highs...and take it from there!

I've been to the PI dozens of times

Baluuuuuuuuuuuut!

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Kali Mist will do wonderfully in our part of the world :) No balut for me..hehe. You could also try Western Winds from Sagarmatha or Original Haze from Seedsman or The Flying Dutchman.

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
smoke_tayo said:
thanks glock. what do you mean by IBL? landraces? did you grow out ak-48 from nirvana? how long did it take from seed to harvest? did you use a 34 hour veg period before flowering or did you just put them straight under the sun?

i was thinking a haze or something like kali mist. sagada is about 14 hours from manila. you first take a bus to baguio then another to sagada. its a long ride, but definitely worth the trip. all the hash and weed you can smoke for dirt cheap and the locals are nice. the scenery is also gorgeous.if you ever need any help when you're in the Philippines, PM me, i'd be glad to help.

IBL means a line that has been stabilized through breeding. All landraces are IBLs. AK-48 was a very strong, fast plant, but someone killed them right when they started budding :( There's a link to my grow in my sig. Sativas don't really need an indoor veg period.

I'm definitely down to go to Sagada. Is it easy to get good weed in Manila? :) I will give you a shout before we go. I love the Philippines!

Blazed_Out

I was just wondering what the local strain names found in the Philippines are?
I brought some bud from here in the UK to the PI and they got high like never before but complained that the weed tasted salty. I said they call this Skunk where I'm from and they said they had no clue what their weed was... just maryjane.
While I was in Manila, I couldn't get a connect for weed but shabu was everywhere!
I'm not into crystal meth but my cousin tried it while we were there and told me it was the shit. Made him feel like Superman.
Weed was easy to get while I was staying at my grandmother's house in Tarlac City... maybe it's because she lives in the villages where most of the people do farm work (plant rice and rear animals) so there must've been a couple discreet growers around.
I know about how Sagada weed is some of the best weed in the PI and heard about the hash, but I haven't had the pleasure in smoking anything from there. Maybe next time when I go back. What method of hash making is used out there? Seiving? I might have to gift a grower with some Bubble Bags.
I can see it now. Weed, Red Horse, Emperador some pulutan while watching the cockfights!

thanks for all the feed back guys. i'm looking at growing a cheap sativa from nirvana in the city and then trying out the landraces over in the mountains.

there are actually some named strains that i've heard of but never come across. they are baguio gold, sagada silver and pinoy's finest. most of the time weed isn't really named, its just all assumed that it come from the mountainous regions. hash is made from sieving i think. you can get some pretty nice hash in sagada, real soft and plyable. they call is charas. there are also lesser quality hashes that tend to be sandy. if you ever need help in the philippines, PM me.

glock23, good weed in manila can be found if you know the right people. but the best is if you go up to the mountains. hit me up if you ever make a trip out here, i'll help you out.