Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > How susceptible to frost is cannabis?

Thread Title Search
How susceptible to frost is cannabis? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2020, 09:40 PM #1
Treevly

Treevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud of
How susceptible to frost is cannabis?

Is cannabis one of the first crops to suffer, or the last, or... in between? Does it ever get wiped right out, at the freezing point air temperatures?
Thanks for any wisdom.
Treevly is offline Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 11:45 PM #2
Teddybrae
IC Mag Supporter

Teddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivor
Oh ... Lake Erie. Well, I think St. Phatty posted about one of his that got covered by snow and survived.
I 've seen them turn purple from frost.
And ya gotta think: They grow very well in the Himalayas (eg: Hindu Kush.)
Lack of sunlight probably hinders their growth more.
Teddybrae is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:54 PM #3
Bud Green
I dig dirt

Bud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivor
My buddy was growing in the Catskill mountains in the mid 70's...

His plants got an inch or two of snow on 'em a couple of years and he told me he was worried, but then he said it made the plants even better...

if you're talking frosts around 20 F., you better cover them or get them in...

Isn't Mother Nature grand !
Bud Green is offline Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 12:15 AM #4
Treevly

Treevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud ofTreevly has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybrae View Post
Oh ... Lake Erie. Well, I think St. Phatty posted about one of his that got covered by snow and survived.
I 've seen them turn purple from frost.
And ya gotta think: They grow very well in the Himalayas (eg: Hindu Kush.)
Lack of sunlight probably hinders their growth more.
Good points, thank you.
Treevly is offline Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 12:17 AM #5
Treevly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Green View Post
My buddy was growing in the Catskill mountains in the mid 70's...

His plants got an inch or two of snow on 'em a couple of years and he told me he was worried, but then he said it made the plants even better...

if you're talking frosts around 20 F., you better cover them or get them in...

Actually, the forecast is 32° for an hour or so at 05:00.
Treevly is offline Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 01:59 AM #6
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
We've had seeds over winter and sprout in Spring in sidewalk cracks. Light frost doesn't hurt plants. Even snow doesn't in moderation. Depends on strain, I'm sure.

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 02:57 AM #7
TakenByTheSky

TakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant futureTakenByTheSky has a brilliant future
I follow this guy on IG that travels around india, he has shown many pictures of the years of Indian landraces with icicles literally hanging off the leaves and buds and the plants are still alive.

Our modern hybrids have been so acclimated to the perfect indoor environment frost will kill most of them outdoors.
TakenByTheSky is offline Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 03:02 AM #8
star crash
We Will Get By ... We Will Survive

star crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivorstar crash is a survivor
We had a hard frost Last night I discovered frosted flowers...They defrosted and looked OK more purple even...It’s going to happen again tonight for one hour at dawn it’s going to dip below freezing

Old 09-20-2020, 12:31 PM #9
Cantharellus

Cantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud ofCantharellus has much to be proud of
Most can handle frost the problem to watch for is the bud rot this time of year. If they don't get good sun still they never dry out good during the day and the rot will set in.
Cantharellus is offline Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 12:48 PM #10
VerdantGreen
Mentor

VerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond reputeVerdantGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Many plants can handle a certain amount of frost. Snow cover often actually insulates plants against lower temeratures.

What can damage frosted plants quite badly is if they get thawed out quickly in the morning sun - this is what ruptures the cells and destroys them more than the frost itself - so gardeners will usually site susceptable plants and things like greenhouses so that they don't get blasted by early morning sun and are shaded at that time so that the frozen plants thaw out more slowly with less damage.
The purple colour seen at these times is from the plants making anthocyanin - their natural anti-freeze .

VG

Quote:
To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain.
i've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Verdantgreen's 84W LED Organic ScrOG

VerdantGreen's organic modular ScrOG cabinet - 236W LED

VerdantGreen's low wattage veg/flower cab,

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

VerdantGreen's Quarters - 187w LED organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's 63Watt LED Micro cab.

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG
VerdantGreen is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.