Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Garbage Pickers

Thread Title Search
Garbage Pickers Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2020, 07:41 PM #1
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Garbage Pickers

I don't know what it is. I love garbage picking. lol

Maybe it's because I loved going to the dump with the old man when I was a kid. I remember picking through the stuff while my dad was pulling a motor out of a washing machine. I usually found something to bring home. The best thing I found was a *Big box of comics! There was probably 500. I begged my dad to bring it home. It was in the mid to late 60s so I'm sure they would have been worth something today. I still get heart flutters when I find something by the side of the road.

There's a flowershop in town and they take their small plants, mix them in bigger pots and throw away the small ones. Sometimes I get a couple big ones. So I'm looking in their recycle bin and a guy come out all pissed yelling at me about it costs him 3k to have that bin. He thought I was putting garbage in it. I told him I was taking stuff OUT and was looking for flower pots. He said "I'm closing up. Follow me and I'll give you a bunch." So I followed him in my truck. He had a greenhouse at his place. He gave me so many pots in about 5 sizes, it filled my truck box.

Now I'm sad again because I don't get to visit my favorite recycle bin anymore.

Over the years I've pickup up everything from a working drill press, to new steel shelving for the garage. The best thing I picked up was this washing machine I want to turn into a debucking and bubble hash machine. Notice the gear shifters! lol

What have you scored on the side of the road?

Boreal Lights Semi Auto

---

"There could be shadow galaxies, shadow stars and even shadow people."
-- Steven Hawking

"Gods serve us because we know so little about the world."
-- Isaac Asimov

"Not every cage is a prison. Not every loss eternal"
-- Cpt. Lorka.

"Poverty Breeds Crime"
-- Unknown
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

15 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:37 PM #2
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant futureCrushnYuba has a brilliant future
Not sure what this has to do with outdoor growing. Maybe this is the wrong section for this thread.

But that washer machine looks cool as hell. Washer machines make good bubble hash. So do old cement mixers. The bubble hash machines that they sell are just rebranded portable washer machines.

I don't know how you would use it for bucking though. I have never seen a bucking machine that worked. Home made or store bought.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:54 PM #3
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
HEY MODS, can you move this thread?

Put a plate with different size holes in front of the wringer.

Boreal Lights Semi Auto

---

"There could be shadow galaxies, shadow stars and even shadow people."
-- Steven Hawking

"Gods serve us because we know so little about the world."
-- Isaac Asimov

"Not every cage is a prison. Not every loss eternal"
-- Cpt. Lorka.

"Poverty Breeds Crime"
-- Unknown
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:10 AM #4
Teddybrae
IC Mag Supporter

Teddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivor
Many, many Moons ago ... there was little rubbish because the working class population had few left-overs ... a time when rubbish was not plastic and used to be dumped in creeks or swamps for time to swallow.

I woulda been five years old. I was walking along the seashore maybe a mile from my home when I found a Pedal Car dumped on rocks. I thought my Dad could fix it. My Dad could fix ANYTHING, I thought. So I dragged it home. No small task for a five year old.

Nowadays I can't recall whether Dad fixed it or not. These days I know he was a bit of a klutz with mechanical things ... but fond memories of discovery, on a now distant shore, a long time ago.

Thanks for the thread Lucky!
Teddybrae is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:59 AM #5
Teddybrae
IC Mag Supporter

Teddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivorTeddybrae is a survivor
I thought a few people would be interested in this thread. Sorry to see no one else is so far. A member here asked about repairing a Garbage Disposal tho ... but that's kinda up market ...

The attached pictures show an Alternator off a '91 Ford Falcon fitted to my 1966 70 HP Ford Tractor. The alternator cost nothing and a guy made a "B" section pulley for me and I found a piece of threaded rod left over from building something once, and some nuts and washers ... and hey presto the battery will charge once more.

The keen eyed among you will note I didn't grind the end of the threaded rod smooth. And a washer is the wrong side of the nut because sometimes I 'm dyslexic.

Hope your sense of aesthetics is not too much offended.

Last edited by Teddybrae; 04-28-2020 at 11:05 PM..
Teddybrae is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:09 AM #6
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
There should be a show made called 'Garbage Pickers' - and have a team going round the world to various garbage dumps prospecting for hidden treasures -

- one episode should be on the Manila 'Smokey Mountain' dump in Tondo - I spent a day there with a bunch of people that lived off the garbage dump once-upon-a-time - that was eye opening -

*oh - I moved the thread to here in the Tokers Den

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:28 AM #7
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
I don't know what it is. I love garbage picking. lol

That's your great grandmothers rosin press.

Waiting for Government approval sucks.

Terpene Amplification
troutman is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:17 AM #8
anoydas 666

they had one of those washers in a block of flats where I stayed, I still remember the girl friend getting her hand stuck in the rollers and the fucker wouldn't release lol, brother smacked it hard n it flew apart, future wife was happy getting outa that mangle.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:21 AM #9
anoydas 666

not allowed to take anything off dump now unless you buy it from a dump shop, years ago I used to bring home more than I took, mainly big crate box's for bird cages n burning . car parts by the ton now like every thing else they fucked it.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:32 AM #10
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
When I lived in Osaka, Japan back in the late 80's - every two weeks people who wanted to throw out appliances and other assorted junk - had to bring them to a depot where anyone could go and pick what they wanted out of the unwanted stuff - So much of it wasn't really 'junk' but older models of TV's, washing machines etc that all worked -

In a nation with so much disposable income - many people just upgraded their appliances whenever a new model came out - and they would discard the still perfectly functional appliances - I managed to kit-out my apartment from these offerings -