What's new

Budget LED options?

big orno

Try to search samsung LM561C strips

Don't take the kit but the DIY peaces and see.

With some chinese leds I'm testing it is the best I found :)

But maby somebody found better than me

Wait to see

hazefreak

I'm only filling a small tenth maybe 1.2 for this I was looking at some of the mars hydro they was the rave years ago? Around 100 to 150 nothing to much more wise I'd run hps haha

JockBudman

I'm only filling a small tenth maybe 1.2 for this I was looking at some of the mars hydro they was the rave years ago? Around 100 to 150 nothing to much more wise I'd run hps haha

I've run a marshydro 300w (first generation, the white ones) plus a 225w viparspectra. I now use an HPS.

The problem I found with them was light burn. With hps all you need to do is stick a hand at the tops and see if it's too hot to hold there. Easy peasy. With the LEDs I found that some plants would burn up from the light intensity no matter where the light sat and some were desperate for more light. The two different lights I used also had different recommended heights and then even more different actual heights.

In the end an hps has been so much easier.

Having said that I will be running my next grow with the hps as the main light and the little vipar as a supplement but I'll have a 400w on hand to swap out in case the LEDs start giving me gyp again.

I love them in theory, never need to buy bulbs, low electric costs etc but in reality they just didn't do the business for me.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've run a marshydro 300w (first generation, the white ones) plus a 225w viparspectra. I now use an HPS.

The problem I found with them was light burn. With hps all you need to do is stick a hand at the tops and see if it's too hot to hold there. Easy peasy. With the LEDs I found that some plants would burn up from the light intensity no matter where the light sat and some were desperate for more light. The two different lights I used also had different recommended heights and then even more different actual heights.

In the end an hps has been so much easier.

Having said that I will be running my next grow with the hps as the main light and the little vipar as a supplement but I'll have a 400w on hand to swap out in case the LEDs start giving me gyp again.

I love them in theory, never need to buy bulbs, low electric costs etc but in reality they just didn't do the business for me.

Each LED generation morphs into something better and becomes less expensive.

Try eBay....cheap lights (China) to see if you like them.Get one that's 300w- 450w then invest in Mars, Viraspectra.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I found these on amazon and I was interested in giving them a shot.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-380nm-840nm-Emitter-Components-Hydroponic/dp/B07439ZY67/ But it almost seems too good to be true, 50 watt for 7$ a piece. I'm currently running 2x vipar spectra 300 and 1x qb288. I LOVE the qb288, but it's hot at 100% so I normally run it at 90%. My first grow was entirely under the 2x vipars, was about 140$ for both lamps.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=74127
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74127&pictureid=1785378&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74127&pictureid=1782377&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I havn't used the burple smart cobs, but have used white one's. They appear in most led floodlights now. The efficiency isn't usually great, but there is no reason why decent leds can't be used with smart chips powering them. It's just not been done yet. Or rather, if it has, who do you believe anyway. The one's you link claim 8-10 lumen per watt. I have seen claims closer to 40. While the white ones have claims as high as 110, but mine was 80.

There are $10 boards that will run 35w as they come. No further heatsink required. Scan for the one's looking a bit like a samsung phone. The book figure is higher than 35w, but requires another investment to cool them at that power. Like the $7 ones.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
I'm gonna swap a whole rooms worth of hps out for leds myself gonna swap 4800w hps out for 5760w LEDs gonna go with quantum boards can pick up the boards and heatsinks pretty Dam cheap from China..

J

jaded1

You won't need that many watts if converting to qb's,you'll be surprised at how much light those boards throw out.I made the mistake of looking at them when I wired them up and couldn't see anything but white dots for a few minutes afterwards

iTHC

i was looking to upgrade/replace my 600w hps with LED but think i will follow my gut instinct and stick with what i know, i can be fancy by using a dual spectrum bulb:woohoo:

J

jaded1

There's a few growers who've used those diodes and they work well but are out of date now as the lm301b diodes are much better.