Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > What's the point of transplanting into a larger pot?

Thread Title Search
What's the point of transplanting into a larger pot? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 AM #1
Hubbleman

Hubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of light
What's the point of transplanting into a larger pot?

Why not just put seedlings / clones into large pots straight away??
Hubbleman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:50 AM #2
mack 10

mack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant futuremack 10 has a brilliant future
you can do that, if you know what your doing
watering wise,
is much easier to go up in pots,
that way the wet/dry cycle will grow plants much faster
than putting a seedling in a 30l pot,
has and is being done
horses for courses

Double OG.
mack 10 is offline Quote

Old 12-09-2018, 12:50 AM #3
gaiusmarius

gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
the root network gets better and stronger if you start with a small pot and gradually increase size as the roots fill out the available space, about 1 week before 12/12 you give the final size pot. if you start out in that one the roots will grow to the edge and start filling up from the outside inwards, they can also drown in too big pots. the exception to this are the auto strains, you want to start them out in their final pot. they hate being repotted once they are growing.
gaiusmarius is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:32 AM #4
RB56

RB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to allRB56 is a name known to all
Does every seedling / clone you start end up in the flower room? Not me. I use coir in #1 nursery pots in veg and 2.5 gallon buckets in flower. No point in using more medium than the plant needs.
RB56 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 PM #5
I wood

I wood has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB56 View Post
Does every seedling / clone you start end up in the flower room? Not me. I use coir in #1 nursery pots in veg and 2.5 gallon buckets in flower. No point in using more medium than the plant needs.
Excellent point, nothing gets past a six inch pot the hasn’t shown itself worthy. By worthy I mean female or good male traits.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:24 PM #6
Complete Noob

Complete Noob will become famous soon enoughComplete Noob will become famous soon enoughComplete Noob will become famous soon enough
The best method for transplanting in my experience is getting the seedling nice and situated within a one gal pot

Whether you use coco or soil is irrelevant. From the one gal you can literally go into whatever pot you desire

But they need that 2-4 weeks in the one gal to build a nice root ball. I personally go from one gal to a Lowe’s bucket, but for a few of my last plants I’ve gone to 20 gal tote,straight from one gal
Complete Noob is offline Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 PM #7
Hubbleman

Hubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of lightHubbleman is a glorious beacon of light
How to transplant a small pot into big one? A special technic ??

Can I hold the small pot upside down and simply pull the wee plant out and stick into a big pot?

Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 PM #8
Complete Noob

Complete Noob will become famous soon enoughComplete Noob will become famous soon enoughComplete Noob will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbleman View Post
How to transplant a small pot into big one? A special technic ??

Can I hold the small pot upside down and simply pull the wee plant out and stick into a big pot?
I transplant based off roots, not really the size. I pick the pot up and look through the bottom holes and if I see white root then I know it’s time

Once its time you simply allow the plant to dry a little, which shouldn’t take long since the roots have filled the pot. Once you think it’s dry, just tilt plant sideways, or upside down if you must, the whole root soil combo should come out easily, in the shape of the pot. Then bury that.

If your plant is root bound you may have to tap the pot or squeeze the sides or squeeze the bottom. Try not to damage to roots, if you do it’s okay, just bury what you can instead

If the plant is stretched and long then this is the chance where you can bury the stem as much as possible, another reason why I like going from one gallon to Lowe’s bucket

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:55 PM #9
Hubbleman

Cool tip dude

Old 12-17-2018, 01:11 PM #10
Complete Noob

Just don’t overwater your first time watering, a solo cup filled with water (maybe 2) should be enough at first. Gradually increase the water