Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > alternative to 190 proof alcohol

Thread Title Search
alternative to 190 proof alcohol Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2018, 04:09 PM #1
stemznseedz

stemznseedz will become famous soon enoughstemznseedz will become famous soon enough
alternative to 190 proof alcohol

So my vac oven inlet valve took a shit and it messed up a few batches in the oven. So I ordered

buchner funnel
1000ml flask
activated carbon
fullers earth
filters

My state doesn't sell 190 proof alcohol and I don't want to have to spend 3 hours in a car to go to the nearest place to pick up alcohol. I'll eventually order a still and some 190 proof but I'd like to play with my new equipment today since it arrived today. is there any other carrier solution worth using besides just using butane? Anything I could get locally that would work well? The end goal is shatter.
stemznseedz is offline Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 08-22-2018, 05:27 PM #2
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
If they don't sell it in your state, can you re-distill retail purchased alcohol? Since the taxes have already been paid, it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know though, so check carefully.

Personally, I prefer ethanol and would find a way.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:35 PM #3
SkyHighLer
Got me a stone bad Mana

SkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to behold
91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol from your local drug store. Pure acetone should be available at your local home improvement store, also if you're not in California, Kleen Strip's M.E.K. Substitute is available, it's pure ethyl acetate. Pure methanol and toluene are also available, but require a full purge.

If you have a local arts supply store, call and inquire if they carry rubber cement thinner, like Bestine. It's pure heptane, non-polar, not as toxic or odorous as hexane, and rapidly evaporates off.
3. Click on the 'reload this page' icon, or hit the return key.

Best to Worst Canned Butane List
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...6&postcount=28

Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold
https://calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E%20B...0D.%20Gold.pdf

Hash oil techniques and solvents for non BHO hash oil?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338633

Solvents listed as to polarity
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=162

The Truth Machine by James L. Halperin (free read provided by the author)
https://coins.ha.com/information/ttm.s

Last edited by SkyHighLer; 08-22-2018 at 09:08 PM..
SkyHighLer is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:01 PM #4
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemznseedz View Post
So my vac oven inlet valve took a shit and it messed up a few batches in the oven. So I ordered

buchner funnel
1000ml flask
activated carbon
fullers earth
filters

My state doesn't sell 190 proof alcohol and I don't want to have to spend 3 hours in a car to go to the nearest place to pick up alcohol. I'll eventually order a still and some 190 proof but I'd like to play with my new equipment today since it arrived today. is there any other carrier solution worth using besides just using butane? Anything I could get locally that would work well? The end goal is shatter.

You can order 190 or 200 proof online and have it shipped to you.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:13 PM #5
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Not everywhere will ship to you. It doesn't happen here :(
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 PM #6
stemznseedz

stemznseedz will become famous soon enoughstemznseedz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighLer View Post
91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol from your local drug store. Pure acetone should be available at your local home improvement store, also if you're not in California, Kleen Strip's M.E.K. Substitute is available, it's pure ethyl acetate. Pure methanol and toluene are also available, but require a full purge.

If you have a local arts supply store, call and inquire if they carry rubber cement thinner, like Bestine. It's pure heptane, non-polar, not as toxic or odorous as hexane, and rapidly evaporates off.
Thank you so much you provided a ton of solutions I had zero ideas about. I'm about to start calling local stores so I can play with my new equipment while I figure out my long-term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
that's my long-term plan. I planned on building your still or a variation of it but now that I am seeing some cheap modified countertop distillers I can justify the risk of it breaking considering how cheap it is and how low my usage of it will be.

Wouldn't it be ideal if I only need to do 1000ml at a time to buy an el cheapo glass vacuum distillation set from Amazon instead of a countertop essential oils modified still so I can use lower temps to purge and reclaim the majority?

one last ? GW, SkyHighLer said heptane is non-polar, not as toxic or odorous as hexane, and rapidly evaporates off, can I ask why you choose hexane in your polishing blog instead of heptane?
stemznseedz is offline Quote

Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 PM #7
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Ask Sam about purging iso, it just doesn't completely happen. He's stated every iso hash/extract he's tested, even multiple washed with ethanol or whatnot, still tests positive for iso.

I'm sensitive enough, I can taste the iso. When I can't taste it, it still makes my throat raw after a week. Considering iso also causes accumulative tissue damage (who does one dab or only one canna-pill, yeah?), I'd work on finding clean ethanol.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 08-23-2018, 12:23 AM #8
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemznseedz View Post
Thank you so much you provided a ton of solutions I had zero ideas about. I'm about to start calling local stores so I can play with my new equipment while I figure out my long-term solution.

that's my long-term plan. I planned on building your still or a variation of it but now that I am seeing some cheap modified countertop distillers I can justify the risk of it breaking considering how cheap it is and how low my usage of it will be.

Wouldn't it be ideal if I only need to do 1000ml at a time to buy an el cheapo glass vacuum distillation set from Amazon instead of a countertop essential oils modified still so I can use lower temps to purge and reclaim the majority?

one last ? GW, SkyHighLer said heptane is non-polar, not as toxic or odorous as hexane, and rapidly evaporates off, can I ask why you choose hexane in your polishing blog instead of heptane?
Because Heptane is harder to purge with its ~98.4C/209.2 boiling point versus Hexanes ~67.8C/154F bp.

Pentane would be better, but is hard to hold on to because of its lower ~36C/97F boiling point.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:40 AM #9
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Ask Sam about purging iso, it just doesn't completely happen. He's stated every iso hash/extract he's tested, even multiple washed with ethanol or whatnot, still tests positive for iso.

I'm sensitive enough, I can taste the iso. When I can't taste it, it still makes my throat raw after a week. Considering iso also causes accumulative tissue damage (who does one dab or only one canna-pill, yeah?), I'd work on finding clean ethanol.
RE "clean ethanol": I bought a gallon from a USA eBay seller because it was inexpensive. When it arrived, I smelled it and knew something was wrong. I dipped a finger in and it tasted very wrong. I didn't use it. I contacted the seller who adamantly insisted it was pure ethanol. I knew it wasn't. MONTHS LATER, I receive a letter from them stating it was tainted with METHANOL. It's still sitting here unused. I wonder how many people that jackass hurt.
brown_thumb is offline Quote

Old 08-23-2018, 01:02 AM #10
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
Making 100% ethanol is easy to get if all you have is vodka, a still, a few extras and are ready to work for it.

I would distill the vodka to get 90%+ ethanol. Then I could get calcium hydroxide (aka hydrated lime) from
my local grow store or online and heat that to around 600C in a crucible (metal container) outside in a fire
to convert it to calcium oxide. Calcium oxide (aka quicklime) is then mixed in the nearly pure ethanol and let
to sit overnight. There it dehydrates the alcohol and converts back to hydrated lime. Distill the next day
using a drying tube to avoid moisture ruining everything and voila you should have 100% dry ethanol.

Make sure you store it right away with even a little calcium oxide in it.

Isn't chemistry fun?

Working on Something Sneaky

28 Days Left
troutman is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.