Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Dug Out Holes Holding Water

Thread Title Search
Dug Out Holes Holding Water Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 05:51 PM #1
Blaze20

Blaze20 is on a distinguished road
Dug Out Holes Holding Water

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with overwatering or having their holes not drain well. I have quite a few plants in the ground and seem to have a few which are showing signs of overwatering, which I believe is do to the native dirt being clay and has now hardened up to the point that my holes are now working like a bowl that doesn't drain well or at all. Most of the plants are only exhibiting issues on the main stalk towards the tops while all the lateral growth seems unaffected. Just curious if anyone has had such issues and if things turned out alright or just got worse.
Blaze20 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:14 PM #2
paradoxlost

paradoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura about
Where is the water table at?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:19 PM #3
Smug_Pepe

Smug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to allSmug_Pepe is a name known to all
That killed all of my out door plants that were planted in the ground last year.

They started to drop and the next day they were dead.
Smug_Pepe is online now Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 07:48 PM #4
Blaze20

Blaze20 is on a distinguished road
[quote=paradoxlost;8351652]Where is the water table at?[/QUOTE

I'm not sure how far down the water table is. Guess it's something I should figure out.

Smug_pepe - Man that's terrible. These have been like this for a week or longer so hopefully they'll make it.
Blaze20 is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 PM #5
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the roughCrushnYuba is a jewel in the rough
Everyone i know that has done holes have dealt with this. Holes almost always don't drain. We have clay. The water doesn't drain and root rot is expected. Thats why 95% of new septics being dug here are engineered systems. Regular standard septics don't drain.
Holes here are just so hard to not over water. All you can do at this point is cut watering back. I would give them small amounts of water more frequently so it doesn't run down to the bottom. Have to be careful not to give them more them they are drinking. The only way to tell how much they are drinking is by starting low and watching for early signs of under watering and working your way up.
Everyone i know that have done holes have dealt with this. Next year put your soil on top of the clay in a mound, bed or smart pot.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 11:02 PM #6
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe did a small hole beside your plants that goes deeper than their roots.
This way the excess water will pool there and drain away from your plants.
A small soil auger would be nice for this.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:25 PM #7
AgentPothead

AgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud ofAgentPothead has much to be proud of
Soil augur is worth the 40-50$ a day rental. Especially if you are working in clay soil.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2018, 12:28 AM #8
Teddybrae

Teddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to allTeddybrae is a name known to all
If your ground has too much clay you're stuck with a big problem.

if there is some drainage Calcium Sulphate also called Gypsum will improve drainage even when yr plants are quite advanced. they might turn yellowish for a day or so but the Gypsum won't hurt.

next time maybe make raised beds. I 've grown plants in six inches of soil over pure clay.

cheers!

"... Earth grows People ..." Allan Watts

"The key ... seems to always be in Balance and Diversity" ICMag Member Sticky Sat
Teddybrae is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 AM #9
Noonin NorCal

Noonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really niceNoonin NorCal is just really nice
Should have added a shit ton of perlite, vermiculite and even lava rock?
Live and learn i guess
Noonin NorCal is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 AM #10
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
I like the auger idea & if you can get to a drainage layer below the clay you may be OK digging into that layer and adding perlite to the augered drainage hole(s).
MJPassion is offline Quote