Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Beneficial Nematodes vs Mosquito Dunks

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts!
Beneficial Nematodes vs Mosquito Dunks Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM #1
Green Squall

Green Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond repute
Beneficial Nematodes vs Mosquito Dunks

Greetings! Having a pretty bad fungus gnat infestation from a bag of infected soil. I've tried letting the soil dry out and yellow sticky traps to no avail.

Haven't used either of the mentioned products so would like to know which you'd recommend. I'm switching into flower in a couple weeks so I need to get on this. Thank ya.
Green Squall is online now Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 PM #2
Coughie

Coughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of lightCoughie is a glorious beacon of light
Letting the soil dry is a good start.

Hypoaspis miles and beneficial nemetodes would be a good combo, if it's really bad.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:43 PM #3
buzzmobile

buzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nicebuzzmobile is just really nice
I use Mosquito Dunks to control fungus gnats. I use a small hammer to smash the dunks in the blister pack. Then I open the back perforated 'hatch' and drop the broken pieces into a small dish. With the hammer handle used as a pestle I crush the chunks into a fine powder. Once the dunks are in a powder form I sprinkle ~1/4 teaspoon over the surface of each 3 gallon pot.

Be patient and kill adult fliers with soap spray. The population will slowly drop. Renew dunk treatment about every 3 weeks.
buzzmobile is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 03:32 PM #4
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
I used Dunks right up until I tried Gnatrol.
Mikell is online now Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 PM #5
Green Squall

Green Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond reputeGreen Squall has a reputation beyond repute
I put out some new yellow sticky traps last night to gauge the gnat population and it appears to have reduced significantly. I'm still going to go pick something up at the store today though.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:45 PM #6
DocTim420
The Doctor is in...

DocTim420 has disabled reputation
Mosquito Bits is the better deal.
DocTim420 is online now Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 10:18 PM #7
soundman

soundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of lightsoundman is a glorious beacon of light
Nematodes. They just work. People dont use them much because you have to mail order them as they are alive. You typically just cant go to the store and buy them.

Order them online overnight or two day delivery. They seriously work.
think of all the life it leads
just growing from those little seeds
soundman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:31 PM #8
Green Squall

Got some mosquito dunks to avoid driving far out of town. This shits safe if I break it up and spread in the soil, right? Thinking of returning it and getting the bits.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 AM #9
Jhhnn

Jhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant futureJhhnn has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikell View Post
I used Dunks right up until I tried Gnatrol.
It's the tactical nuclear weapon of gnat control, isn't it? They're endemic to my grow because they ride in with compost & worm castings. They're easy to control with gnatrol. I hang one of these in the grow as an indicator-

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Strips-.../dp/B0043GD78O

When I've caught more than a few gnats I mix up 1 tbsp/gal of gnatrol, pour a few cups of solution on the soil in each pot, enough to wet the whole surface pretty well. The instructions say that 3 applications a week apart is best but a single application really hammers the population, beats 'em down to nearly nothing.

They went nuts on me the first time they showed up because I futzed around with dunks & bits. When I stepped up to gnatrol then gnats became just an occasional nuisance. It's pro grade stuff-

https://www.amazon.com/Valent-Gnatro...ywords=gnatrol
Jhhnn is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2017, 02:58 AM #10
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
Green,

I used a coffee grinder/hammer combo when I bought Dunks. Standard precautions for fine powder handling. The primary ingredient is cork, but the binder/buff/active would be an eye/inhale irritant. Bits are simpler to apply but the sooner the better, takes awhile to breakdown/kick in.

Jhhnn,

Found the same. I apply at a similar rate every 8-12 wks and haven't had much issue since, short of falling behind in treatment. It isn't available in Canada but eBay solves that.
Mikell is online now Quote