What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can a used dehumidifier that was in a room that had PM mold bring mold into new room

So I acquired a used dehumidifier that was previously used in a grow room that had powdery mildew my question is will this dehumidifier bring in any mold spores into my brand new room I am getting ready to use I appreciate any feedback thanks a lot!!

mdgg4

Yes it can. Clean bleach the shit out of it. Then clean bleach it again every single nook and cranny if you can.

PEACE!

YetiOG

Yes it can. Clean bleach the shit out of it. Then clean bleach it again every single nook and cranny if you can.

PEACE!

Bleach is not the best use potassium bicarbonate, but thats not the best advice. Toss the thing unless you want to introduce pm which is a total menace and is my current worst enemy. Ive managed to wipe out every type of bug but pm keeps at me. Toss the fucking ac of use it in a space thats not in the same building as dope plants.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Bleach is not the best use potassium bicarbonate, but thats not the best advice. Toss the thing unless you want to introduce pm which is a total menace and is my current worst enemy. Ive managed to wipe out every type of bug but pm keeps at me. Toss the fucking ac of use it in a space thats not in the same building as dope plants.

In my basement, every strain I grew got PM every time, except GG4. WiFi 7, Fire OG, and AO X GG4, were all completely ruined, but not GG4 which I have grown several times. The Fire OG touching a GG4 branch gave the GG4 a little PM. I bought some seeds recently, and looked for ones that were mold resistant.

Ive had a running at the grow already but still havnt put any plants in there yet you think its ok as long as I take it out of the room asap or is it now in the air or in the room some how now?? Pr is it early enough since I havnt had plants in there yet?

Loc Dog

Veteran
This is from Stitch's guide, which is sticky in infirmary -

Powdery Mildew

Mildew spores can be brought into the grow room through air ventilation into your grow room, your cloths, pets and be carried by animals outdoors. and land on the plant infecting other parts of the plant, buds, stems, stalks and leaves, also spores can land on indoor grow room walls, tubes, growing equipment, hoods, ballast’s, cords and etc. Spores can remain dormant until environment factors trigger it, like high humidity and cool temperatures, poor air circulation. Powdery mildew in vegetative growth is much easier to rid than in the later stages of flowering. Night time temperatures and moisture triggers spores to be released. The mildew eventually covers and coats the plant thus reducing the process of photosynthesis. If left untreated powdery mildew will infect all plants in your garden and coat your plants in flour like substance and cause leaves to “suffocate” Yellow and die off. If your plants are in flowering, depending how far into flowering, your buds will eventually become infected and will not be able to be used. Buds will have a stale moist smell and will be coated with a white powdery substance that can’t be removed no matter what you do. Very early detection in flowering plants that have powdery mildew is extremely important, the longer you wait in flowering the more impossible it gets to eradicate this, due to this, bud size gets bigger in flowering and having high humidity temperatures over 65% can trigger active spores to start, not only powdery mildew, but triggers other problems from it, like bud rot. Not only will you have lower yield, but you won’t have any buds, due to the fact mold has crippled your harvest.
Strains vary in susceptibility to molds, just like other pathogens and nutrient requirements and care.

Prevent and Control

Symptoms of your plants having powdery mildew include: white blotches of furry stuff and white spots or splotches that you can wipe off, having humidity that is over 65%, also starts on darker areas of the plant and spreads to the top. Darker areas on your plant that do not get a lot of light will start to show this first, then when spores become active it spreads to everything. The longer you let it go the harder it will be to eradicate, late flowering plants that have this are extremely hard to get rid of, due to bud density thicker in late flowering plants, because of this the mildew attacks the buds which you can’t cure mildew once it affects the buds.(also known as Bud Rot)Plants that are stressed from environment factors, or fighting pest’s will be taken over more by this mold, due to the fact it’s already fighting problems. If you see your stressed plants getting it first, try to isolate the plant and bring down humidity, better air ventilation and or negative air pressure grow room. If you have mildew with your fans running, you will need to take them down and clean them as the fans can spread spores around the room. You will need to wash down everything in your indoor grow room, spores land on everything, so everything needs to be washed with mild hot water and bleach solution. Removing infected leaves from the grow room is critical, carefully removing them and trying to not knock spores into the air is a challenge. Applying a bag over infected leaves and tying it shut then removing it helps out with not knocking up spores in the air. Making sure you use h202 on stems that have open wounds from leaves that was removed. DO NOT water when lights are going to be going out, doing this keeps water on the plants soil and causes higher humidity levels, this goes for foliar feeding. Water plants when lights first come on or there is at least 5 hours left of lights on. You want to reduce the amount of humidity as possible if your levels of RH are high, you want to keep your humidity levels around 40 to 50%, and anything over 60% is going to trigger problems. Also keeping plants spaced apart allowing maximum air flow in between plants will help minimize plant to plant infection. Using a dehumidifier can greatly reduce humidity issues. Using a meter that tells your grow room conditions like temperature, RH and time can help combat your problems, by keeping track before and after you water can tell you how much if any your humidity can rise after changes made to the grow room. Sulphur Burner is another way to prevent and kill powdery mildew by vaporizing spores in the air. (Do not apply sulfur when air temperature is near or over 90°F) Controlling your mildew outdoors can be somewhat of a challenge, you can’t control outdoor temperatures, or environmental factors, Using Vapor Gard,Wilt Pruf sprayed over the leaves can prevent infection’s.
You will need to treat your plants with various organic and chemical controls. This list will work for indoor and outdoor growers in killing and preventing Powdery Mildew. Outdoor growers can use Organics List below to help prevent Powdery Mildew of starting, even after it has started using anything below will help kill it off. (Note: When using chemical and or organic control methods, do not spray the buds, and for health and safety reasons, stay away from spraying around the buds if all possible.)

AQ10
Serenade
Plant Shield
Garden Disease Control
Fungicide containing Lime, Sulphur

JMS Stylet Oil
Saf-T-Side Spray Oil
Sunspray Ultra-Fine Spray Oil
Neem Oil
Neem 2
Kaligreen
Safer Garden Fungicide
Concern Copper Soap Fungicide
Guardian Angel
Serenade Garden Disease Control OMRI
Safer 3-in1 Garden Spray OMRI
Sulfur Vaporizer
Organocide
SM-90
Malatox
Garden Sulphur
Sulphur Burner
Sodium Bicarbonate
Chi
Mother Nature's Karanja Oil
Concern Copper Soap Fungicide

Ok great read loc dog �� .. But doesnt really answer my question completely just wondering if me bringing this dehumidifier in the room and have had it in there for a couple weeks but only had it running once or twice to see if it was working and hooked up right to my controller, do you think theres powdery mildew lingering around the room now waiting for me to bring my plants in or if I take this dehumidifier out of the room asap before I bring my plants in will I be ok?

Loc Dog

Veteran
I do not think anyone can give you an absolute answer. There almost definetly spores in the room, if it was in an infected room. Will you get it, is a gamble. A number of factors come into play. Are there plants in the room already? How much could you lose if shit hits the fan? Can you keep humidity under 50%?

I would keep a number of products on hand, and know how to use them. Some do not work well, late into flower. I am small grower, so may want to wait for more experienced to ring in. Remember that peoples recommendations are usually based on their experience. Someone growing warehouses will give different advice than someone with one tent.

Loc Dog

Veteran
What strains are you growing, and are they clone only or from seed?

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Does anyone have experience using chlorine dioxide vapor to control mold spores between grows?
Ive never (knock on wood) had any PM issues in my indoor grows but have always totally cleaned my grow spaces between grows with bleach and hydrogen peroxide.
Ive noticed that chlorine dioxide vapor is used on boats to rid them of both mold odors and to control mold growth.
Perhaps a product such as this , used while your equipment such as fans and dehuey are running would work?
http://www.coversuperstore.com/odor-control-boat-bomb

I'm in a medium sized warehouse not huge but not small by any means I'd love if anyone else with experience with this problem could help !! I do not have plants in there yet , I could lose a lot going to have a lot invested in this , what's should I do to make sure I won't have spores in there

heatherlonglee

Not an expert here when it pertains to PM. I did fight it for a bit when moving to my new grow space. PM/mold spores are everywhere they're already in your new space regardless if you brought them there or not. Best defense is to control temperature, humidity, air movement and possibly not running strains that are susceptible to PM. Keeping all plants in good health is another good defense against PM. A post above mentions to keep humidity between 40%-50% that has worked for me in a space that definitely had the spores here. If you have a certain strain that gets the PM and the others in the same room don't; whatever strain seems to be weaker in resistance to PM, just junk those strains until you get a better feel for what you'll be fighting in your new space. I say no worries about the dehumidifier you're at the same risk of fighting PM just by starting new in a unknown space. Your best defense/bet is to be a stickler for details when it comes to environment and really get it under control from the start. From what I understand about the PM/mold you don't kill it off as much as control the conditions that keep it from showing up.

Last edited:

prune

Veteran
Geez, I don't know what's so fuckin hard here - the de-huey is compromised, PERIOD! You really want to risk an entire grow to save a few hundred on a de-huey? You can't be that broke to be that stupid, You hope...
Furthermore, there isn't any practical method to sterilize the equipment, and it's probably infected with extra-special growers PM, with all kinds of resistance already built in.
Penny wise and dollar foolish, not a winning combination with contamination...

Loc Dog

Veteran
Was reading about it earlier today, and someone suggested UVC in your air handling equipment (a/c ducting). If you can get your hands on GG4, which is a winner, you will not get PM on it. I will post over in that thread to see if anyone has ever had it on GG4. Like I mentioned earlier, I am loaded with PM in damp basement, but have never had it in 10 or more grows on GG4.

I got rid of the dehumidifier but I'm still VERY worried about having spores in there now as ive had it running, for a short period of time but still had it running .. What should I do now to help my case against these pm spores :(

YetiOG

I do not think anyone can give you an absolute answer. There almost definetly spores in the room, if it was in an infected room. Will you get it, is a gamble. A number of factors come into play. Are there plants in the room already? How much could you lose if shit hits the fan? Can you keep humidity under 50%?

I would keep a number of products on hand, and know how to use them. Some do not work well, late into flower. I am small grower, so may want to wait for more experienced to ring in. Remember that peoples recommendations are usually based on their experience. Someone growing warehouses will give different advice than someone with one tent.

Read up about pm i think you have it confused with other molds. It can and will grow in low rh too, especially if warm. Low rh does not solve pm.

Saying its not garenteed the room is sick is nonsense. The room is full of it. Running it once did it.

Idk why you replied to one of my posts above but addressed nothing. That seemed odd to me. Anyway the fire og didnt give the glue pm from touching its from being in the same room. Its not a contact disease its blown by wind. Id suggest you read a bit more before offering alot of stuff thats not helping the issue but plugging up tge thread.

Yes warehouse growers tent to not care about plant health so lets leave them out of this. Theres a few that do but most dont care. They dont worry about pm mostly and if they do they use systemics, so what they do has no real bearing on what a home grower should do...

YetiOG

Was reading about it earlier today, and someone suggested UVC in your air handling equipment (a/c ducting). If you can get your hands on GG4, which is a winner, you will not get PM on it. I will post over in that thread to see if anyone has ever had it on GG4. Like I mentioned earlier, I am loaded with PM in damp basement, but have never had it in 10 or more grows on GG4.

You think gg4 is mildew proof? Think again! Go read chunktpigs thread everything around him gets pm and guess what gg4 is not a mythical plant thats pm proof, it gets it too. You dont need to post asking if people got pm ive seen gg4 pics with mildew, heard reports of it, yours was probably covered but you didnt notice under the frost.

Its a bit concerning you are running around tellimg people nonsense like gg4 is a mythical plant thats mildew proof. Reality check its a plant, it gets pm, get over it.

I had some interactions before on my last account here, helping you with very basic coco stuff. I should have probably put you on the ignore as you could have read to find those answers to your questions but you didnt bother and obviously dont bother to understand pm and are offering nothing but posts for the sake of posts. Wasted my time then and im wasting my time now, i dont feel you are helping the thread

Also you contradict yourself claiming gg4 is mildew proof you already said fire og gave it to her... you dont need to look around you already reported gg4 got pm and your attempt at starting a growing myth failed...i suggest you do some reading before making up stories of how pm proof a cut is

YetiOG

I got rid of the dehumidifier but I'm still VERY worried about having spores in there now as ive had it running, for a short period of time but still had it running .. What should I do now to help my case against these pm spores :(

Read about pm really well and understand it. Clean the room best you can, if you want you can spray potassium bicarbonate around the room it kills spores on contact and is non harmful to people.

Dont bring used grow shit into a room ever

heatherlonglee

I had PM and I believe it's all inside my new house! Loc Dog had PM and states that it's all over his grow space! I never used anything that kills PM. I trimmed plants back, killed plants that seemed to favor the PM; then controlled humidity, temperature, air movement and never had a problem again. YetiOG any ideas why you can't get PM under control? That extra special weed growers PM that's stronger is only stronger against weed growers chemical systemics like Eagle 20 ect... Control temperature, humidity, air movement and grow strong strains that have resistance to PM and you'll be successful. This method I describe has been used by all kinds of farmers for a long time. Plants with more resistance to disease and insects have been highly sought after for centuries.

Latest posts

Latest posts