What's new

How to seal Rosin bags

HazyBulldog

Hello everybody. I am having problems pressing large amounts of kief in my bags. Flower stuffed, no problem. Kief lightly packed, no problem. However, when I go for the home run and stick 100 grams in one bag, I get the top rolling out of my fold, and pushing the kief right out the top.

Does anybody know a good way to seal the bags? I bought a sowing machine, but not a double stitcher. I think the finer bags at 25u might need to be double stitched. I also bought a 650w impulse heat sealer, and it does ZERO!

Any ideas on HOW TO SEAL the bag would be great. Thanks :tiphat:

Picarus

whats the rosin bag made of? not sure why you would sew a bag shut. the holes from the sewing needle would be larger than the micron of the screen anyway. coffee filters still tried and true. I'm sure a pressing 50 g at a time is plenty.

HazyBulldog

whats the rosin bag made of? not sure why you would sew a bag shut. the holes from the sewing needle would be larger than the micron of the screen anyway. coffee filters still tried and true. I'm sure a pressing 50 g at a time is plenty.

The bags have to be sown in the first place to keep their shape, and it turns out, the answer is how I stitch it. Thanks @slownickel.

You press 50G with a coffee filter? Which kind? non bleached? Thanks for that bit of info.:tiphat:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The bags have to be sown in the first place to keep their shape, and it turns out, the answer is how I stitch it. Thanks @slownickel.

You press 50G with a coffee filter? Which kind? non bleached? Thanks for that bit of info.:tiphat:

The old bulldogs need to teach the young ones....

Picarus

No
I couldn't get 50g into a coffee filter, my point was if 100g is way too much and pushes out the top cutting it in half would still be a hefty run. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of having a bag of a certain micron size if the thread holes from sewing are larger than that micron size. I would think you would get seepage of kief from the holes. When squishing under pressure the holes will expand to an even larger size. I still use unbleached filters and pre pressed bricks. I don't think I have even attempted more than 30g or so in a single press. I like about 1 or 2 tollah per.

plantingplants

Do you just fold the edges of the coffee filter?

Mind if i hijack a little and also ask how you guys collect bulk rosin efficiently?

HazyBulldog

Great questions PP. You know I don't mind.

I have found a bowl with dry ice in it helps, depending on the material. I then pile it up and press it with a large warm tile. Looking for ways to improve this however.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Two screens will hold onto a lot of your rosin, If I am going to do small amounts I make a square of screen and simply gather all the corners together and wrap a fine wire around the ends leaving a golf ball size kief ball that squeezes down to a puck which is easily removed by opening the square, a sewn bag makes getting the puck out a bitch...

Picarus

coffee filter is folded into a packet. Just dawned on me to OP, if you prepress your kief it may hold together better under the pressure of the press with the simple fold over. Do you prepress?

HazyBulldog

I don't pre-press. I had a little silver dollar size one, but looking for a larger custom pre-press die. Nobody has one for sale that I can find. I think that would help big time.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Make a die and prepress the kief beforehand in your mold. Then wrap in coffee filter. The prepress makes the process much easier

plantingplants

I can't pm you hazy but seems like you've researched kiefing a lot-- do you think tumblers are better than vibrating tables? I want to sift then press a lot of kief.

HazyBulldog

I would ask Gray Wolf if I were you. Dude is a legend.

However, I would think the vibrating plates do a better job. With my tumbler, throw some dry ice in and it does a great job. I have spun a little over 300 lbs of trim so far, and I can't imagine how I would have done it with a vibrator.

The other option is bubble. That would be way too labor intensive IMO.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Timewizard Greyfox (on Instagram) can make custom prepresses.

Latest posts

Latest posts