What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bumpy, Twisted, Yellow leaves. Help!

Does anybody know what is causing this?
attachment.php

hard to see, but It looks like little rusty orange brown bumps on the outer edge of a generally yellowing leaf. I looked at all the deficiency charts i could find with no result. The lower fan leaves are consistently yellow but the new growth is all very dark green. Much darker leaves than the other strains im growing.

I know for a fact i have thrips on my plants and i can also see what appears to be little black spots of poop from the thrips on this leaf. Could that be the cause?

Strain is Sour Diesel grown Outdoors in the hot California sun. Using brand new quality potting soil.
Link to the soil here - http://www.rareearthlandscapematerials.com/wacky-alaskan-potting-mix.html
I feed them occasionally with fox farm microbe brew and big bloom. All plants are in 45gal tan smart pots and mulched with rice straw. I water them just about every day with normal garden hose water that i know is PH neutral.

This is the only strain that i am seeing this damage on. All 3 sour diesel plants are showing these symptoms. The other strains that are growing are Gorilla glue and Black lime special reserve from aficionado seeds, both of which do not show this problem
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1688.jpg
    IMG_1688.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 9

Mystic Funk

sour diesel can be finicky on nutrients. maybe that's why it's only on that one???
anyway. looks to me like a mix of phosphorus/potassium deficiency and high heat.
but first you need to ph the soil to see if it's good. I know your water is good but your soil could be out of range so check that first.

then hit them with a lite dose of P/k in a foliar spray, then hit the soil and see how they like it.

good luck!
-mystic :tiphat:

I'll check on my phos / potass levels but they should be fine as those nutes are definitely included in my soil and nuntes. It could be that only this strain is showing damage from heat but that would turn all the leaves like this and currently its just the lower fan leaves that do this.
Ill break out the soil test kit too.
thanks

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
bottom. tops are dark green....

Woops! I didn't read well at all on that first round did I? Thanks Mystic.

After you have been getting the new dark green growth up top has the yellowing slowed or stopped entirely from spreading up the plant? My thoughts there is that you might have caught the deficiency and upped the feed in time for the plants to have taken off again with very dark lush green growth up top and in the process stopped the spread of the yellowing leaves. If the yellowing leaves is still progressing then I would eyeball how much cal/mag you are using and maybe throw some additional at the Sour Diesels. Again, if spreading yellowing leaves WITH new lush dark green growth then you might slightly be overdoing it on the veg nutrients (too much N) while still lacking the cal/mag that some OG and Diesel strains are going to want.

Apologies but I have only ever grown out ECSD and Sour crosses and never straight up Sour Diesel. :2cents:

Keep us posted :yes:

Lyfespan

only on the bottoms means start looking at your mobile nutes.

are you in coco?
are you using ro?
whats your PH when watering?
whats the media PH?

looks like lockout due to high ph

"After you have been getting the new dark green growth up top has the yellowing slowed or stopped entirely from spreading up the plant?"

Neither. The yellowing has accelerated. Still dark green tops though.

To be clear all my plants are yellowing from the bottom up but the sour D is showing the worst symptoms and its the only one with these super bumpy twisted leaves. THe others are just yellow.

Here is some pics of my sour D before the yellowing started (yes i know they badly needed water in this photo)
attachment.php
attachment.php

and here is some of them currently (along with other strains)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Im also seeing a significant number of black flies that could be breeding in the soil, which could totally be causing the yellowing. I know they are not fungus gnats. They look more like mini houseflies. It could also be the thrips causing this yellowing.
I ordered pirate bugs and some soil mites to take care of the thrips and hopefully whatever those black flies are. Predator bugs FTW

@lyfespan you didnt even read my post bro...

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 4
I had PH problems last year. Fucked myself by trying to use RO water. Restarted with new soil, ph'd water and nutes. I would be very surprised if it was a ph problem. I just tested my water ph and its perfect 6.8. I did a half assed soil test kit that showed like high 5's to 6 ph (but idk the accuracy of that test)
I would bet its more likely a reaction to the thrips. If i find out ill let yall know.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
"After you have been getting the new dark green growth up top has the yellowing slowed or stopped entirely from spreading up the plant?"

Neither. The yellowing has accelerated. Still dark green tops though.

To be clear all my plants are yellowing from the bottom up but the sour D is showing the worst symptoms and its the only one with these super bumpy twisted leaves. THe others are just yellow.

Here is some pics of my sour D before the yellowing started (yes i know they badly needed water in this photo)
View Image View Image

and here is some of them currently (along with other strains)

View Image View Image

Im also seeing a significant number of black flies that could be breeding in the soil, which could totally be causing the yellowing. I know they are not fungus gnats. They look more like mini houseflies. Have you positively identified the flying insects you mentioned? Be sure that they aren't Flying Root Aphids, I'm hoping that's not it.It could also be the thrips causing this yellowing.
I ordered pirate bugs and some soil mites to take care of the thrips and hopefully whatever those black flies are. Predator bugs FTW

@lyfespan you didnt even read my post bro...

It could totally be flying root aphids. I have a bunch of em stuck to my sticky blue traps and a really kind "Bug lady" who can help me ID these flying devils. Thanks for the tip i will investigate that possibility

It could totally be root aphids. Thankfully the Hypoaspis (aka soil mites) that i just bought will eat the root aphid eggs and larvae if they are indeed in my soil. I will bring my fly covered sticky traps in to get identified and if it is root aphids ill let you all know. thanks for the help.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
They are easy enough to identify with a magnifying glass if you know what to look for. Fungus gnats abdomen is oblong and tapers down to pinchers on the end. Root aphids have a bulbous abdomen with cornicles that look like tail pipes coming out.

aphid-cornicles-feature.jpg

Lyfespan

Does anybody know what is causing this? View Image [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=374348&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=374349&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
hard to see, but It looks like little rusty orange brown bumps on the outer edge of a generally yellowing leaf. I looked at all the deficiency charts i could find with no result. The lower fan leaves are consistently yellow but the new growth is all very dark green. Much darker leaves than the other strains im growing.

I know for a fact i have thrips on my plants and i can also see what appears to be little black spots of poop from the thrips on this leaf. Could that be the cause?

Strain is Sour Diesel grown Outdoors in the hot California sun. Using brand new quality potting soil.
Link to the soil here - http://www.rareearthlandscapematerials.com/wacky-alaskan-potting-mix.html
I feed them occasionally with fox farm microbe brew and big bloom. All plants are in 45gal tan smart pots and mulched with rice straw. I water them just about every day with normal garden hose water that i know is PH neutral.

This is the only strain that i am seeing this damage on. All 3 sour diesel plants are showing these symptoms. The other strains that are growing are Gorilla glue and Black lime special reserve from aficionado seeds, both of which do not show this problem
Any help is appreciated.

why are you watering them with ph 7 water

So after getting the traps looked at im starting to think you guys were right about the PH and Magnesium deficiency. Thankfully i don't have root aphids. Just some thrips and tachinid flies.

The plan is to add powdered azomite to the soil and just water it in. Since the azomite has a ph of 8 it should raise the soil ph enough to uptake the mag and other nutes.
I already added 2lbs divided into 8 plants, so basically just top dressed and watered. If all goes well ill add more.

Ill test my soil again for ph. If its still too low i can add some dolomite lime, unless thats a bad idea in flower.

Soil ph is still low. Adding dolomite lime to water (till i get 7-8 ph) and ill water with that till my soil gets up near 6.6. Might get some earth juice ph up but i hate bein a sucker to the hydro stores. If its a safer way to raise ph i might do it though. Suggestions?

Hey tessarecting haha good to see you on icmag forums again. Can you briefly explain the process for raising ph with potassium hydroxide? I heard of people talking about PH buffers, is that needed? Is potass hydrox "buffered" ?

I read this post by Chiefton9 at grasscity and it seems to make sense.
"to adjust soil pH, run many gallons of a buffered, pH adjusted solution (pH 7.5-8) through the soil. continue running this until the run off (e.g. the water coming out the bottom) has reached your desired pH (6.2-6.8). this could be as much as 10-20 gallons of water, which is why simply adding a gallon of a solution with a high pH to the soil isn't going to do shit, and only adds to salt buildup. once this pH is reached, flow a large amount of water through the soil (5x's the pot volume) to get rid of all the pH adjusting salts. now you've got pH balanced soil without any salt build up. once the soil has dried in a few days, then start watering and feeding as usual. "

Is this correct? Thanks for any help.

Yeah thats a good description of what you need to do. I use p hydrox (KOH) because its dirt cheap and plants like it. Its what advanced nutes uses and charges 20x more at least for their pH up. Use the KOH to raise pH then feed your plants with it. Monitoring runoff pH will tell you when you are on target. Careful with this stuff it will melt your eyes on contact.