What's new

Blah's First Ppk

gmanwho

Veteran
tupur is a coco perlite mix made by royal gold. it also has some other trace or buffer minerals in it , i believe. i read the ingredients once or twice, but didnt fully stick to memory. it doesnt seem to compact like others... good airation

Mr Blah

Out of the 4 plants put in this system I have about 2 and half left.
1 is big and great.
2 is OK just put in flower a week late.
3 died first week flower. Shock I guess :biggrin:
4 is slowly dying. It is the one that had all the yellow leaves, she is slowly dropping all the yellow leaves and not growing anymore green leaves.

Not bad for learning so far but round two is going into flower right now after this post.

What are PPM's suppose to be after week 5 and till the finish flush.
Am I suppose to start backing off the 6Tbsp of each Jack and Cal. and tapper off?
Pictures to come.

Mr Blah

Finally got tent two fired up.

Got three in there because for one I only had three big enough and one of them is big enough to cover two screens.

Before the trim for two screens

After the trim on two screens

I am noticing a leak coming from the rubber hose....???!!!! SHIT!!
7/8" hole like usual. Hope it will seal itself a bit. Not a huge leak but a drip.

Attachments

• IMG_4073.jpg
    IMG_4073.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4075.jpg
    IMG_4075.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 19

Mr Blah

The leak

That huge 4 month long neglected plant
VVVVThe veg tent after the huge mess left town for the other tent.

Attachments

• IMG_4076.jpg
    IMG_4076.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4064.jpg
    IMG_4064.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4074.jpg
    IMG_4074.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 17

Mr Blah

Those pictures of the other tent that has a good one, dead one, dying one and a ok one.

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpg
    IMG_4062.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4059.jpg
    IMG_4059.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 19

C.O.B.

Mr Blah, that is a helluva lot of roots coming out that tailpiece!!!! Have you discovered the cause yet? I'm about to run a 3.5 stacked ppk and I'm trying to avoid this if possible.

Also scored a Blueprint BDCT-1 for $50.00 off the bay just a few mins before this post. I think I scored her last one too!!!! Yessss!!!! I was about to buy one yesterday(out of a few mentioned here) glad I waited! Peace.

C.O.B.

Mr Blah

Mr Blah, that is a helluva lot of roots coming out that tailpiece!!!! Have you discovered the cause yet? I'm about to run a 3.5 stacked ppk and I'm trying to avoid this if possible.

Also scored a Blueprint BDCT-1 for $50.00 off the bay just a few mins before this post. I think I scored her last one too!!!! Yessss!!!! I was about to buy one yesterday(out of a few mentioned here) glad I waited! Peace.

C.O.B.
No, I haven't figured out why the roots are after the water but one reason is that those plants in question have been vegging for about 4 months and by the look of the top of the buckets I don't think I put enough medium in the buckets. There all about half filled. Maybe they settled I don't know. But I am chocking this first grow to a learning grow.

I know this system can do what I want because of that one awesome plant I got going. I WILL make all three tents produce 4 each of those awesome plants. :laughing:

I am more worried about the leak I got going on than even loosing a plant or root coming out the tailpiece.

When you going to start your thread COB?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
No, I haven't figured out why the roots are after the water but one reason is that those plants in question have been vegging for about 4 months and by the look of the top of the buckets I don't think I put enough medium in the buckets. There all about half filled. Maybe they settled I don't know. But I am chocking this first grow to a learning grow.

I know this system can do what I want because of that one awesome plant I got going. I WILL make all three tents produce 4 each of those awesome plants. :laughing:

I am more worried about the leak I got going on than even loosing a plant or root coming out the tailpiece.

how do you intend on fixing that leak blah? I can see that happening to me.:tiphat:

Mr Blah

I will check it later today and see how much drained if it stopped than that's it I will leave it alone. If not, the end result is to drain and redue by cutting the 2" away from the control bucket and start over again with a 5' piece of 2" and throw a coupling on it.

I can be lazy so maybe some kind of goop that I can put on it now would be great.
Maybe some of that info commercial crap flex seal. If they can spray the bottom of a boat made out of screen and make it float they otta seal these rubber hoses, that's for dam sure.

C.O.B.

Eh.....When I grow a pair???? Possibly:laughing: Been a recluse all my existence. Really like to keep my digital footprint to a minimum. Don't know enough about the net to feel "secure". Hell, joining and posting took me 6 years! :woohoo:

Maybe I'll just thread/record my nooby ppk build. Finished rinsing turface & perlite today. Just going to run the afp and capillary rise tests now. Not sure I could keep up with a journal or such. Peace.

C.O.B.

Mr Blah

COB; Trust me the government already knows who and what you are all about. They got satelites for everything. They just aren't going to fuss about us small time growers....only the ones doing 1000+ plants.

Snook; I checked today and one side looks like it stopped for the most part. Nothing to shake a stick at. The side I took a picture and posted dripped but what has accumulated isn't enough to justify a complete change out...yet.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Finally got tent two fired up.

Got three in there because for one I only had three big enough and one of them is big enough to cover two screens.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=386421&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
Before the trim for two screens
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=386422&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
After the trim on two screens

I am noticing a leak coming from the rubber hose....???!!!! SHIT!!
7/8" hole like usual. Hope it will seal itself a bit. Not a huge leak but a drip.

first, the hole for the hose to go to should be 13/16" not 7/8". the od of the garden hose is 7/8" so you make a water tight connection by forcing it into an undersized hole.

in the one photo it looks as if there is water pooling on the top of the medium. a little bit is ok but it should disappear in seconds.

the plants are dying because the containers aren't draining.

Mr Blah

the plants are dying because the containers aren't draining.
That's the million dollar question.
Yes, when they feed it stays sometimes on the top for the duration of an hr. I shake the top bucket to try and dislodge anything to get it to drain but nothing.
I meant that it was less than the hose size. When I used the step bit it was 13/16.

I just went out and checked on the second tent that just got fired up and it looks like another bit the dust. All wilted.
Maybe they don't like to be man handled so much.
I think next time I am going to wait a day or two before raping it.

Also that was the last of the plants vegging for a long time. Now I should be able to handle things and try different draining methods; more perlite, or maybe screening it.

The clones I just put in a few weeks ago are not pooling at the top bucket so maybe I am doing something right. We will see.

Thanks guys for checking in.

Mr Blah

in the one photo it looks as if there is water pooling on the top of the medium. a little bit is ok but it should disappear in seconds.

I put that picture in for you specifically to see what I did wrong.
Since that photo I put more medium on top. But that is the one that is wilted and I believe died.

Mr Blah

I have followed the pioneers into this adventure of PPK land and I do believe this is where I want to be, or how I want to grow. I got to nail down what I am doing wrong to keep killing these plants.

Or at least the drain issue. Thank go I put ball valves on each site. I do have a large pump for just those 4 sites. Could the mag drive 1200 be way too much? Even with the ball valve partially shut?

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR FUTURE PPK'ers, PUT A BALL VALVE ON EACH SITES FEED LINE.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My plants got better when i stopped full flood feeding and reduced the amount to a quart for 7gal. If your media is always weet and top inch doesnt dry out then its probably too wet. Dunno your exact thing chap, just throwing out what worked for me in all turface.

Mr Blah

I don't do a full flood on purpose, I feed 30sec every 1.5hrs. But I am in 3.5gal buckets ontop of 3.5gal buckets. I am only putting in about 1/2-2/3rds medium so maybe thats another thing I can look into.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I don't do a full flood on purpose, I feed 30sec every 1.5hrs. But I am in 3.5gal buckets ontop of 3.5gal buckets. I am only putting in about 1/2-2/3rds medium so maybe thats another thing I can look into.

the plants are drowning and won't get better unless you transplant them. somewhere av8or just described transplanting into another same size container. i have done that before also when a plant just won't drain.

have a fresh container prepared. load the tailpiece with perlite. lift the entire plant out of the old container. break off what's left of the old roots that went down the tailpiece so that the bottom of the rootball is flush, and place it into the new container.

strongly recommend you do this.

in a 3.5 gal bucket 7" of medium works great. about 2.5 gals.

after transplanting cut back on the watering to 15 sec every 2 hours.

gmanwho

Veteran

with a danner 750gph or 950gph i forget, im down to like 12-15 seconds feeding 12 sites every 90 min flower, an like every 2 hours veg an smaller plant sizes. i have a top drip turface veg tables running every 6 hrs an they are on an popping. an i think i like feeding lights on only.... but that im still figuring out if lights on was for the better. Or was it the new Philips de bulbs an different genetics that made that room pop into overdrive..... ??