What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Genetic poop out?

cinnescape

f1b4bf1e52ce378600a787dbfe6fadad.jpg

b612b6c22950b9ddbfbfe6c68bca74f5.jpg

bb3d2b9ce176214200bd2a4826bf9da0.jpg

e7e96f35654b834fa722a58dc0cb3b54.jpg

At first glance it looks like there's nothing wrong with this plant, the bottom most leaves are still green, but it should be a lot bigger. I've grown this strain a lot, it's Cinnamon. I go to 12/12 when the plants are about waist to belly high in buckets, and they normally stretch to 2/3 more in height, sometimes hitting the ceiling. This plant just seems to be too small.

Also, the pistils normally all stay white forever with these, and most have already turned. And look at the top cola! It's nothing. That should be cucumber sized by now.

To be honest, I totally forgot how old this plant is, and I don't go by trichs; I can't hold the microscope steady enough, so I harvest when bud growth has stopped, which these seem to have. It's just that these are extra high yielding plants that pile on bud mass, so that you have to tie them.

The thing though, this isn't just the same strain I've been growing for 10 years, it's the same genome. I've done lots of crops with cuttings, had a mom, and there have been two times when it was in seed form; the plant grew a single male flower and produced a seed. I understand when this happens, the sprout is genetically identical to the parent, essentially a cutting. This plant is a sprout of one of those seeds.

Do you think my problem is this genome has just outlived itself? I'm not doing anything else different except using tap water instead of RO water, and I might have given it too much Pure Blend Pro to try getting it to grow more, but from what I understand it's hard to use too much PBP.

Thanks for reading.

stonedfly

is this the first run with PBP and this cut?

I run a cut of mine for years, and switched to PBP, and had a really bad run with strange growth and bud development

just food for thought

I read your post. Im looking at your plant. I have had plants do this before in the past. You should post more info about environment and feeding regemin with ec or ppm and ph. With that said... the genetic drift thing is largely a myth from what I understand, I would wager it's something else, perhaps your room is too hot, or you overfed your plants, or there is salt buildup in your medium...

cinnescape

pH is perfect. I never bothered with ppm and never had a problem. PBP is organic (mostly) so I don't think there would be a buildup of salts. I change the water frequently, to give it a fresh feeding.

Without knowing environmental conditions or where you're at with your nutrients its hard to say. This used to happen when I didnt flush well enough or kept the room too hot. You will find its dense in sugars too at the top for whatever reason.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I run pbp and nitrient wise it looks healthy to me, there has to be some sort of environmental factor in play. What are your conditions like? How close to the light are you?? Canopy temp??

MileHighGlass

We've been using the same cuttings of apples since the 1800's. Genetic drift is a myth perpetuated by stoner science. Just FYI

cinnescape

I'm over a foot away from the light and the temps are fine, I live far north so the room is still cold.

@shish, yeah, it's from seed, but it's from the 3rd generation of a hermie produced seed, so that's why I thought that was what was going on here.

cinnescape

No, 3rd generation of seeds that were produced from a female plant/cutting that hermied. This genome was preserved for me in seed form two different times.

cinnescape

I guess hermie is the wrong word. The plant was %100 female, but it produced a seed, either by growing a small male flower, or immaculate conception.

cinnescape

@shish again, sorry, I'm very stoned right now, I didn't read your reply closely enough, and I'm making this sound more complicated than it is. This is actually only the 2nd time I've popped the seed it made by itself, as you said.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Yes, and I rinsed the hydro tron. I have a feeling shishkaboy had the answer I seek. I hope he comes back.

Sorry, I have a toothache and took something. Ended up falling asleep after right after.

The problem is that a selfed seed is not guaranteed to be identical to its parent.

In fact it is impossible. The reason we propagate using clones is because that is the only way to guarantee identical results. But even that is heated topic of discussion.

I am not an expert but I research quite a bit and this is just my opinion. There are many more knowledgeable folks here that may correct me.

cinnescape

Thanks! I didn't know that about selfied seeds.That's a bummer because this seed was all I had left of Cinnamon. I loved the stuff and planned to keep it going with more cuttings I already have rooted of this plant. Femaleseeds.nl doesn't sell Cinnamon anymore, and hasn't for a long time.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
There is definitely a lot of variation in selfed seeds. Some strains more than others.

Contact female seeds via email and ask if they have some more cinnamon seeds. You never know..