What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
:yeahthats: Packing too tight can cause blowouts and if you're lucky enough not to have a blow out, you'll have dry spots where the butane didn't penetrate.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
How much weed did it take to fill it and how much bho did it make.

Also how long do you let the butane "pass" the weed for. I often wonder if slow is better

I honestly don't remember it's been so long. I know the tube holds around an ounce and that particular material I always got a return of 15%+ consistintly (ususally close to 18%). Based on those figures (15%)I would say the oil was around 4.2g minimum.
Butane extracts on contact there is no need for a slow pass.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
:yeahthats: Packing too tight can cause blowouts and if you're lucky enough not to have a blow out, you'll have dry spots where the butane didn't penetrate.

its not packing tight that causes blowouts, its packing unevenly, and snug.if you pack the exit end looser than the top where the butane goes in there is a risk of shifting and blowout, but if you pack super tight, and evenly packed the whole way, there is no risk of blowout. i have done it like that many time with just a single layer of coffee filter.

M

MoldyFrogToe

What causes blowouts is user failure, it can be packed amazingly tight, of course not incredibly tight.
The key is to have a fail safe mechanism, just a path of least resistance for pressure to escape, so the 'blowout' is but a minor annoyance/reminder.

After cramming nugs and running, second runs (after rearranging nug in the baster) gives the remaining 1-2% or something, almost negligible.
Saves butane/time as opposed to not packing them in tightly, as I see no appreciable diff in yield...
Plus it's so fun to do, just cram em in, could it be easier? No bullshit grinding, etc.

Of course,this works best with dry[er] nugs...wet nugs would probably create some problems in termsof even butane distribution like you're saying, chief.

my 2

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
What causes blowouts is user failure, it can be packed amazingly tight, of course not incredibly tight.
The key is to have a fail safe mechanism, just a path of least resistance for pressure to escape, so the 'blowout' is but a minor annoyance/reminder.

you must have been pretty baked when you posted this, its really hard to follow, after my clear description above. what causes blowouts is uneven packing or crappy(weak or compromised) filter material. and the difference between amazingly and incredibly is highly debatable, lol, true stoner terminology, and the part about a fail safe mechanism is really far out there, do you care to elaborate on that part?

G

Green Supreme

Whatever man I thought the coomparison was cool and he brought it up first. Meant no malice. Seems like ya just waiting for me to say something wrong. Not an oil cheerleader so not welcome huh. Nice world you live in. PEACE GS

ps. laughing would have looked like this hhahaha ot heehee or teehee or lol

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
im just sayin, you dont see us oilers come in your hash threads to poke fun at you guys at all, but you make a habit of coming into oil threads and doing just that. in many threads strictly about oil, you show up to make jokes about oil. its just a bit lame bro, do you not see that? if you love hash, go and love it, dont come and hate on oil just because you can.

M

MoldyFrogToe

I actually didn't get that vibe from Green Supreme at all, his comment made me laugh.
Even if he did come here to shit on us I wouldn't give a crap and I'd ignore it! Chill guys, who cares. Happy times. =P

Anyways, blowouts are caused by too much pressure
The only way too much pressure can occur is a massive blockage..
I could unevenly pack nugs all day long it wouldn't really matter
The path of least resistance is what matters
Once that's cut off too much, then you blow out
By blowout I assume we mean the baster/weed tube blowing up or popping apart in some way
Correct me if I'm wrong

Far as the *other* path of least resistance - the blowout valve - that's just an idea.
For now, the blowout valve is a glass on glass seal over here ;)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
if you followed Green Supremes' past history of sticking his nose into oil threads to make peanut gallery comments, you would know exactly what i mean.

no, blowout means the filter paper, or whatever you are using at the exit end blowing out. what i said is completely true about uneven packing. blowouts are not caused just by pressure, but that with the combination of uneven packing. tested and proven countless times. one can pack very tightly, if they do it evenly, with no risk of blowouts.
again, believe what you will, i get tired of repeating myself.

M

MoldyFrogToe

Oh well, I don't care if someone bashes oil

So, that type of blowout, ok. I was thinking of something completely different. Facepalm.

Glass basters are good, never have to worry about filters, small nozzle with some packed nug does the trick for my standards, no plant material gets through if you pack that 'filter cone' right

T

tokinafaty420

I love BHO. People really shouldn't be put off by the flammability of the process. As long as proper precautions are taken you will be just fine. Been making BHO since around 2004. For some reason I always take WAY too many pictures of my plants while they are growing, but have never taken a single photo of BHO. I guess I just get too excited once the process is all finished and you have 5 or 6 grams of delicious looking honey ready to meet your hot knife. :D

G

Green Supreme

Hey man like many here I am always learning. Learning means wading through all the info whether I like it or not. Sorry to have gotten your panties in a bunch, but I will continue to learn. Your approval is not necessary for me. And again I mean it peace GS

M

MoldyFrogToe

I wouldnt think BHO would accumulate in a filter, especially towards the end, when the butane to goodies ratio is high. Butane will rinse it out of the filter.

G

Green Supreme

When I used to make it, I used coffee filters. Oil does get trapped but, I would collect a bunch of them and soak them in iso tor remove the oil. Peace GS

ElRubio

Veteran
what do you use as filter paper? I always worry that precious bho will get trapped in the paper and so use something more like a pipe filter or seive even

75 microns paper filter lab for trim and leaf
120 microns inox steel for buds

that´s my choose, and i´m happy with the final.

PS:why do we not have an inspirational bho thread here on the IC?...its ok, these dummies are great!! thx guys for the good info, pics and shortcuts...
Pics by ParkArts

_MG_6243.jpg

_MG_6243-2.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

best vibes to all:artist:

Coffee filter in a honeybee (know there are better tubes but i am old and sentimental about it)

Hope the pics displays ok

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts