What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New type of scrog....gavita 1000..modular screens

Budley Doright

Veteran
This is a little different....

The room is 5 x 5 and the spreader screens 20 x 21

5 gallons promix hp

Jacks plus calnit only

The plants were initially trained flat....so the main stem is at medium level....

The screen is more or less about 6 inches from the medium.....

Screen is wire with 2 x 3 openings.......

More than likely I will add a second screen.....

Here they are out of veg....

and a couple hours later....

these plants are going straight to 12-12

Love these Gavita lights........

Budley Doright

Veteran
I intend on doing 3 rounds of these......

this first batch hasnt been vegged quite enough ....I think the next batch should be better....

Im on a perpetual with a bit over 3 weeks between batches.....

Im still trying to settle in with how I can best incorporate the new lights..... and air layering.....

This thread wont be addressing air layering.....only this method of flat training.....

What this does is moves the main stem to soil level allowing the branches to fill the screen.....

One goal is to see how much ceiling space is required for this light and training method......

Budley Doright

Veteran
Fly by night...zamzia..... you all pull up some chairs....

My gut feeling this is going to be a fun grow.....

I will be documenting this method and 3 flowering room.....

Lots of very cool strains.... this one has some....

gg4.. headband 707... ogkb 2.0 and sour dubb.... maybe more???

I wanted to try some real multistrain action....

their difference should be minimized by the screen....

Im switching to 7 gallon rectangular containers...... they fit my space better and the extra 2 gallons will pay for the new containers in additional yield.....

Budley Doright

Veteran

These pics are at 3 weeks....

The screens are full....

In this case my containers are about 12 inches tall.....at this point the plants are within a 16 inch zone above the containers... the stretch was minimal due to the multiple tops..... the light in this case was at 4 ft....and the top of the fixture at 5 feet....

I would be confident with the light at 6 feet and using highly trained plants you can use a gavita..... even 5 feet I think would be ok.....

Im not sure but at this point I dont anticipate adding a second screen..... I think since I have an even canopy.....they will support each other.....

Intimea

Hi Budley,

With 1 single Gavita PRO1000DE you can optimally cover 4*6 (120cm*170cm in scientific scale :biggrin: ).
*: img. courtesy by whazzup.

Suspending the fixture 90cm (3ft) over the canopy you'll have an average 900µ-m²-s

picture.php

Suspending the fixture 150cm over the canopy will have this effect on light intensity

picture.php

I follow, if you don't mind.
:tiphat:

Budley Doright

Veteran
Hi Budley,

With 1 single Gavita PRO1000DE you can optimally cover 4*6 (120cm*170cm in scientific scale :biggrin: ).
*: img. courtesy by whazzup.

Suspending the fixture 90cm (3ft) over the canopy you'll have an average 900µ-m²-s

Suspending the fixture 150cm over the canopy will have this effect on light intensity

I follow, if you don't mind.
:tiphat:

Im at 24 inches over canopy and about 5 x 5....

Intimea

I don't know how to reply (sorry for my bad english)

Im at 24 inches over canopy and about 5 x 5....

...at 24 inches over the canopy you're not using your fixture at the best.

The footprint of a horizontal lamp with reflector is rectangular...like this

picture.php

In your way you're giving different intensity to your plants, according to their position under the bulb, while raising up the light will better distribute the energy.

Budley Doright

Veteran
In your way you're giving different intensity to your plants, according to their position under the bulb, while raising up the light will better distribute the energy.

I cant tell from my plants..... the canopy is quite consistant.....

I would expect to see different growth patterns with uneven light distribution....

Intimea

I cant tell from my plants..... the canopy is quite consistant.....

I would expect to see different growth patterns with uneven light distribution....

You're making SCROG, don't you? And you are telling me that the canopy is leveled because of the correct light distribution?

Ok, sorry for the suggestion, you have to do what you think is the best for you.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Part of what Im doing here is to determine for me and maybe others.... how much ceiling is required to run a gavita....

Many say 8 foot ceiling may not be enough.... this set up is at 5 feet....

Most generally I use the lights farther away....... in this case I did some training.....but I havent touched the plants in a week

I recently bought 4 gavita lights and have been .....as we call it ......dorking around with my new toys......

Here was another experiment I did......

I know.... I know... its all wrong....but I loved it none the less....

lol....

This used a 40 inch screen more or less....with vertical plants all around.....

here is one of the end plants...it would have been at the bottom of the pic above just out of frame

As your diagram shows...... the light is stronger on the sides.....Here I used 2 plants on each side only because I had some extras..... I would run this with 6 vertical plants.... 1 top and bottom ...and 2 on each side....

same plant .... the pic below is of the 3 buds at about 1 oclock on the pic above...

Budley Doright

Veteran
Tomorrow..... I do plan to do some deleafing.....but dont expect to do much training at all....likely none....

That is moving a branch from one hole to another on the screen.....

Intimea

Sorry, I'm not sure to be able to understand you(i'm italian:hide:), but if you are saying that you can run your fixtures closer than what I suggested you, I have to say that I have no doubt, but to me this is not the right way to use these lights.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Sorry, I'm not sure to be able to understand you(i'm italian:hide:), but if you are saying that you can run your fixtures closer than what I suggested you, I have to say that I have no doubt, but to me this is not the right way to use these lights.

NOw you see.....we totally agree on everything....

Latest posts

Latest posts