What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Summer Outdoor Garden 2015

This is the story of mad man and his obsession with turning a few hundred square feet of concrete jungle into an oasis, a hideout from the hustle and bustle of the city.
picture.php

Realizing how harsh the conditions can be outdoors it made perfect sense to use the passion fruit vines to make some shade and help cool things down.
picture.php

And so they were buried and out they came. On an almost non existent budget a new pack was germinated each month for the rest of the summer. Perhaps not top tier genetic material, but good enough to rough out the learning curve.
picture.php

My first two females were almost 4 months old and started to show signs that it was time to flower.They were the survivors of a botched germination attempt. One a polyhybrid cross of Johnny Blaze and Chemdawg D and the other an alleged Mozambiquen Poison from Marlberry.
picture.php

September 20th is the start of summer closer to the 45th N but near the tropics that date is probably closer to June 20th. This June brought with it a hot and unusually dry start to the summer season, much like an indian summer. The concrete was proving unbearable for the plants light requirements in the middle of the hot terrace concrete. To make things worst we undergoing a drought that brought water rationing. It would be a tough road ahead. But I was making strides. No longer walking in the dark, I was armed with pH and EC meters and with the deteriorating water quality came the decision to purchase an RO filter and that meant better nutrient solutions, living microbiology and lower feeding requirements.
picture.php

The tomato harvest gave me a lesson in acclimatization of species to their environments or the lack thereof and the need for constant, uniform and periodic irrigation. Fruit set got cut short because the blossoms would fail due to the high heat and humidity.Full sun exposure, fives stories high some type of shading was a priority at this point, luckily the passionfruit vines were doing well despite the harsh conditions.At this point I'm really looking into setting an irrigation system because all the hand watering is taking a toll.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php