What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does smell matter?

I read a lot of people going on about the smell of a certain weed, but does it really matter?

I mean sure it smells different when you smell the fresh buds, but I find it all just tastes and smells of smoke when smoked.

psyphish

Veteran
Then you're doing something wrong. My G13 Labs Chocolate Heaven made it into a local rap song just for the smell and taste, it wasn't even dank bud lol.

Max Headroom

Veteran
smell certainly isn't my top priority, but it is nice to have a strain where everytime you grind up a nug, you stick your nose in the jar and inhale deeply. i love all the variations cannabis is able to produce. but i certainly will take a strain with no smell and taste but with a great high over something that smells nice but fails to deliver otherwise.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Smell is very important... If you google the entourage effect , this shows just how important.
One reason that synthetic weed will never be as effective as the real thing

Some ppl think the same about beer or wine even food all depends the persons palate.
There is definitely a difference between smokes though, it don't all just taste the same.

cheers,.....................................................gps

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
What's the first thing most people do when presented with a new bag of weed? Stick their face in it and take a big old whiff! 'Nuff said!

sprinkl

Veteran
Well the smell is an indication of terpenes, and terpenes influence the high, so it is an indication of quality to me... Better smell means better taste too, but it can fool you. Bud that is overferted could smell good, but will taste bad after a few drags of a joint...

Dog Star

Veteran
Thats why i love to grow and smoke organic buds,

best smells and tastes i encounter if plant is growed organicaly,

adore those nice terpenes and stone effects with great exhale feel that lasts...

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Thats why i love to grow and smoke organic buds,

best smells and tastes i encounter if plant is growed organicaly,

adore those nice terpenes and stone effects with great exhale feel that lasts...

Funny, I grow hydro for the same reasons!:laughing:

R

rbt

my grows have been stink in the tent, stink in the dry when they dried 2 weeks in a cool place with on the avenge 12% humidity flushed for 7 days with plan water. Soli Coco light nutes. Then I put in a wide mouthed Mason jar they are sticky as hell have to clean the trimming shears often to trim leaves and still sticky as heck but very little smell. Inside Tent with a LED.

I am not complaining about the quality has I have grown outside and smoked for years. And this is as good as any I have ever had. And when I really discovered trace minerals it became a different world for me.

I am curious though I am so old and cranky and refuse to suck on a vap pen. If I can't grow it , roll it, smoke it, then well. Are people able to taste the terpenes in vap's or are they a chemical flavor enhancer. Will this edibles and vap pen soon be the only product nationally allowed. So then a consistent regulated amount will be allowed like alcohol wine 12%, beer avg 6% Whiskey 100% and so on. Then add the terpenes flavor like shots of French vanilla @ Star Bucks ?

All I can taste is smoke, and it doesn't taste that nice.
I find the actual smoking is not enjoyable, but it's something you have to go through to get the high or medicinal benefits. I don't smoke for the appreciation of the taste because it doesn't taste like anything nice, just tastes of smoke.

I love the smell and taste of weed. I find I like the wet dirt after rain smell the most. A nice earthy kush jar is my heaven on earth. With vapourising I find you can really taste the terpenes from mint to fruits. If you smoke too much vape I find joints have no flavour which I don't like. Smell of the finished product is nice, but taste and high are number one.

Dready_jake

I find the actual smoking is not enjoyable, but it's something you have to go through to get the high or medicinal benefits. I don't smoke for the appreciation of the taste because it doesn't taste like anything nice, just tastes of smoke.
then somethings not right. The taste should be the best part of any smoke

Smell is bag appeal fer sure, better high?, not necessarily.

I actually COMPLETELY disagree. Science says 100% otherwise. Aromatherapy is a real science and 100% applies to cannabis.
I actually knew someone who was experimenting with 99% thca, non solvent extractions. All the same sample of thca but depending on the trace terpene she adds drastically changes the effect. So by adding different terpenes to the same 99% examples of pure thca you get a drastically different effect. The same THC could make you pass out with one terpene and freak out of paranoia on another. Terpenes are said to make up at minimum 15% of your high, but I believe its higher.( meaning if you smoke low potency but high terpene weed you should theoretically get higher than high potency and no terps.)

psyphish

Veteran
I actually COMPLETELY disagree. Science says 100% otherwise. Aromatherapy is a real science and 100% applies to cannabis.
I actually knew someone who was experimenting with 99% thca, non solvent extractions. All the same sample of thca but depending on the trace terpene she adds drastically changes the effect. So by adding different terpenes to the same 99% examples of pure thca you get a drastically different effect. The same THC could make you pass out with one terpene and freak out of paranoia on another. Terpenes are said to make up at minimum 15% of your high, but I believe its higher.( meaning if you smoke low potency but high terpene weed you should theoretically get higher than high potency and no terps.)

I actually noticed this, I lost MOST of my sense of smell a year ago after a flu. Getting high lost it's magic because all weed smelled the same and the smoke tasted bad. My sense of smell has started to recover slightly and I'm starting to enjoy weed again.
I definitely didn't appreciate my sense of smell as much as I should have, life without smells isn't as enjoyable.

I thought my tolerances had gone up, but I'm pretty sure it was the lack of smells and tastes.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran

Sounds like you need better cannabis. I have never found an exceptional strain that did not have a loud smell. Maybe NL#5, but that still smelled dank. If you are tasting just smoke, the erb isn't very good. Good pot floods your taste buds with many different flavors, and tastes good enough to smoke if it didn't get you lifted. Try to source some proper erbs or better yet learn to grow your own!

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Lol@ smoke taste good and doing something wrong if it don't. No firefighters here? I'm with feather foot!
Anchovies taste good and if they don't you did something wrong. Wtf kinda logic is that. Arguing with someone else's taste buds! Ridiculous!

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
how do u grow chemicals or organic?

Last edited:

Dready_jake

Haha there's a HUGE difference between a house on fire containing wood plastic paint and other toxics, and a well grown herb. If your smoke taste like burning wood or anything else other that a tasty weed flavored smoke then YES, you're doing something wrong. Firefighters testify?

Latest posts

Latest posts