What's new

Newbie tries to grow weed

Limolax

Hi there. I am trying to learn how to grow marijuana. This is my third attempt. Two previous ones failed miserably. I also made a journal from this run. But since most other users try not to post on your journal I decided to make a diary. Cause I do want others to comment on my grow and give me usefull advice. Here is a link to my journal from this same run.
https://www.icmag.com/modules/Journal/viewentry.php?journalid=1691
Regarding my two other failed attempt. First time was due to combination of over watering and early introduction of chemical fertelizer. Second time was disaster. I never really figured out what went wrong exactly and what started the problem. But let's say I failed. So this run I changed the method from soilless medium and chemical fertelizers to real soil and organic additives. There are 3 seedlings at around 2.5 weeks.

CheeeeerZ

atk7

Looks like a good.start ... Got Any details like strain if known . Lights , CFL hps etc ? What size space you using . Ventilation ,, temps any info you post here will be helpfull and there are some great folks on here that can help you head off probs early .

Limolax

It's 2 separate closets. Veg and bloom. Bloom closet is bit wider.
-Veg room: (1 w by 0.4 d by 2 h) meter. Light cycle is 20-4
-4 fluorescent lamp at 20 watts each hanging from sealing with chains (80 watts total)
-A CPU fan blowing air into the plants with intake hole that gets room temp air at around 22-25
---------------------------------
-Bloom room (1.8 w by 0.4 d by 2 h) meter. Light cycle is 12-12
-One 400 watts MH lamp hanging from top
-A stronger fan that takes the air close to the MH lamp and an intake air hole that gets room temp air
The soil is:
Peat moss, potting soil and perlite for seedlings in cup size pots. About one week after sprouting I'll transplant into a mix of 2 part peat+perlite, 1 part potting soil, 1 part vermicompost in a 1 littere pot. Then depending on the plants condition and the vegetation time I'll transplanted into a hotter soil consisting of 20% organic matters (different meals and animal manures) and the previous soil. And if needed ill add some more organics from the top little by little.
I also have 2 different organic fertilizer :
Biofish 3-1-2 i might use for veg period and prosimal 0-2-2 that i might use for bloom.
--------------------------------
Seeds are all from same strain but have no idea what strain. This is a learning experience for me. I have better well known seeds but i just wanna be able to learn to keep my plants alive long enough to give me some smokable and then try the good seeds since i only have 10 of em left.

Last edited:

Limolax

Around day 15:

They are a little stressed from transplanting i guess.
Day 17:

The plants are around 20 days old now. Ill try to take some pictures tomarrow.

Limolax

Looks like a good.start ... Got Any details like strain if known . Lights , CFL hps etc ? What size space you using . Ventilation ,, temps any info you post here will be helpfull and there are some great folks on here that can help you head off probs early .

Thanks for stoping by atk7. Thats all the info i could've thought of. If i did miss anything please tell me ;) and yes i agree. There are some great people here in icmag. Ive learned a lot from different threads here and hope to learn even more. CheeeeeeerZ

atk7

Limolax all looking OK right now . I didn't see if you had any way to keep a eye on temps at p!ant level and with peat in your mix see if you can find some way to keep an eye on pH levels in both your soil and in the water and nutrients you will be adding during the life cycle. Nothing wrong with using bag seed to learn what works for you. And I think I saw you had already learned of the dangers of over watering I use the weight test to judge my water needs . best low tech test I have found.:biggrin:

Not to be a dick but from my own experience, I am the worst soil grower ever. I tried and failed off and on for probably a year and half to two years at soil before switching to hydroponic DWCs. I've had killer results and been slowly getting better every grow ever since.

I think hydroponics is so much easier and more forgiving not to mention the better yields and faster grow times. Just planting a seed in your mind that you may want to explore in the future.

Best of luck to you.

Not to be a dick but from my own experience, I am the worst soil grower ever. I tried and failed off and on for probably a year and half to two years at soil before switching to hydroponic DWCs. I've had killer results and been slowly getting better every grow ever since.

I think hydroponics is so much easier and more forgiving not to mention the better yields and faster grow times. Just planting a seed in your mind that you may want to explore in the future.

Best of luck to you.

I have had the same experience as you. I went with ebb and flow. I think there is a lot to soil, hydro is simple once u "get" a few key points

Limolax

Best of luck to you.
Well I live in some messed up country in middle east so even if I can find or build my hydroponic system I wount be able to find fertelizers specific for hydroponic. Can't get most equipments here like EC meter, ppm pen, ph meter,... You can get soil and organic compost anywhere but equipment and chemical additives are a bit harder to find. Thanks for the advice anyways. Maybe one day I switch to hydroponic but first I gotta learn how to grow in soil.

Limolax

My lamp fixture got messed up somehow. I was not home for 2 nights. I got back home last night. Woke up today at noon and the light was off. It was supposed to get on at 6 am. Best case is that it was dark for 10 hours and worst case is around 24 hours. Is one session of long darkness gonna cause any problem for my plants?
Here are pictures taken today just after watering them.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
one night would be ok, but plants count dark hours in order to work out when to flower, its after around 5-7 days of short light hours (12/12) that they start to really release the hormones.. so one day you're ok, but keep an eye on it buddy... too much longer and they can go into shock ;)

so far, you're new lot looks great.. keep up the awesome work :D

Limolax

Thanks guys for all the support. I normally sleep at home and wake up at home. I had never seen the light cycle go wrong. One night I am not home and it gets broken. Anyways I wana find a new better fixture cause this one is really crappy I lose too much lamps. Almost 1 every week. I might get a new fixture and if I do that I would probbobly go with compact flourocent lamps.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
for vegging, I use those 125 watt cfls... they're great coz they give off very little heat so you can get them real close to the plants and that keeps the structure nice...you can't tell here but this is the bigger (E40) fixture.

picture.php

Limolax

I watered yesterday and took pictures a few hours after that. The watering was a bit late. Maybe a day or two. I was not home for a few days. I should probbobly trasplant them into bigger pots soon. Any suggestion on when is a good time to transplant them into their final pots ?

Latest posts

Latest posts