What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can I use moldy buds for concentrates?

Steven Seagul

I have lots of moldy buds I can't dry with the others, but I am keeping those, hoping I can make something more to smoke.

What concentrates can I do with mold?
I mean, safe to smoke. If the taste is not so good doesn't matter.

Oil?
Bubble hash?
Nothing?

ceosam

In my experience, if you use a regular (ie 80micron) screen you will see a forgien "film" on the oil when it is a liquid. We scooped it out and it turned out fine, the buds weren't terribly moldy though.

According to graywolf, if you use a small enough micron screen, like he does, you can only get the THC and no mold. The micron is insane small though and I feel like it would be hard/impossible to blow through with a normal tube setup. I don't know shit though.

Steven Seagul

Wow didn't even know such small screen exists!

I read about making bubble hash but never done (yet - will wait till winter for better temperatures).

Dabking, do you first filter the mold with the 5u screen and then use the regular bags?

I have mixed indica dominant and sativa dom trim (and moldy buds), so I was thinking of buying something like:

(5u -> mould filter)
220u -> mixing bag
90u -> larger trichomes
25u -> smaller trichomes

BTW thank you guys, amazing forum (would give rep but I don't know how to)

dabking

I read about making bubble hash but never done (yet - will wait till winter for better temperatures).

Dabking, do you first filter the mold with the 5u screen and then use the regular bags?

I have mixed indica dominant and sativa dom trim (and moldy buds), so I was thinking of buying something like:

(5u -> mould filter)
220u -> mixing bag
90u -> larger trichomes
25u -> smaller trichomes

it's laboratory filter paper. For buchner funnel. I make oil so it go in my outlet with a few other filters over the top to not clog or puncture from pressure.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have lots of moldy buds I can't dry with the others, but I am keeping those, hoping I can make something more to smoke.

What concentrates can I do with mold?
I mean, safe to smoke. If the taste is not so good doesn't matter.

Oil?
Bubble hash?
Nothing?

Depends on what kind of mold. If it is powdery mildew or botrytis, you can winterize the oil and syringe filter the alcohol solution to 0.2 microns using a syringe filter. Removing the mold bodies and spores removes the taste and smell.

If it is aspergillus, it will leave behind aflatoxins, which can't be filtered out, so better to compost the material.

amannamedtruth

Veteran

(5u -> mould filter)
220u -> mixing bag
90u -> larger trichomes
25u -> smaller trichomes

this would not work...

So, will alcohol - either Isopropyl or Ethanol - kill botrytis and powdery mildew mold spores, thereby making them benign in the resulting oil? I got a bit of botrytis on a few of my buds this grow, but would still like to make some oil out of them. GrayWolf's answer was good, but I just use a coffee filter, then distil the alcohol off. And, what about the heat in the distiller? Does that kill off the mold spores as well?

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
It's not a question of killing spores.
Like GW said. If you have Aspergillis it produces aflatoxins
They are organic, chemical compounds that will fly through any filter you use.
They are highly toxic and can kill you.
How do I know this?
Damn near died from an Aspergillis infection, so I looked it up. :)

Aloha,
Weeze

Steven Seagul

Is there any way to know what kinds of mold I have without a microscope?

How should I keep my mold material in the meantime? Can't put it in drying room...

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
My best advice to you is to discard any mold.

"Some Aspergillus species cause serious disease in humans and animals. The most common pathogenic species are A. fumigatus and A. flavus, which produces aflatoxin which is both a toxin and a carcinogen, and which can contaminate foods such as nuts. The most common species causing allergic disease are A. fumigatus and Aspergillus clavatus. Other species are important as agricultural pathogens. Aspergillus spp. cause disease on many grain crops, especially maize, and some variants synthesize mycotoxins, including aflatoxin."

There are many varieties of botrytis also.
Some are toxic.

That said, I routinely rinse
PM infested colas with H2O2.
But only because it's all personal stash.

One can not risk sickening the ultimate consumer.
There are people with impaired immune systems that use cannabis as medication.
So, unless it's personal stash, and you know exactly what you are doing, it's just not worth the risk.

Bag it, and work on prevention for the next crop.

Aloha,
Weeze

Steven Seagul

It's strictly for personal use and no, I don't know what I am doing :D

(I read the Julian's massive outdoor thread, if I remember correctly he was doing ice bubble hash with the mold, but could be wrong)

Any way I'm keeping the mold buds in a bucket, I think that bucket will be a real mess, by the time harvest is finished. Rot and stink and so on.

Well compost is better than nothing... safety first, but, you know, hard to throw away all that stuff.

It has been a good season in the summer, but an awful one in the fall. Lesson learned, next year will do earlier strains.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, will alcohol - either Isopropyl or Ethanol - kill botrytis and powdery mildew mold spores, thereby making them benign in the resulting oil? I got a bit of botrytis on a few of my buds this grow, but would still like to make some oil out of them. GrayWolf's answer was good, but I just use a coffee filter, then distil the alcohol off. And, what about the heat in the distiller? Does that kill off the mold spores as well?

What W said! You can remove the taste and smell with filtration, but you can't remove the aflatoxins, which are not "killed" by the heat or alcohol.

irishmick

The aspergillis mold is very deadly and will not die during the process. It's blue and rides up the stalk and stems beware please throw away. Look into these molds so far I've found five types and Asper is deadly like respiratory shut down etc.

irishmick

mold

mold

I have found five types of mold and aspergillis is very deadly and scientists are still researching it stay away from it. It causes respiratory problems etc it will kill you. It's blue and rides the stalks inside out.

growteam

My best advice to you is to discard any mold.

"Some Aspergillus species cause serious disease in humans and animals. The most common pathogenic species are A. fumigatus and A. flavus, which produces aflatoxin which is both a toxin and a carcinogen, and which can contaminate foods such as nuts. The most common species causing allergic disease are A. fumigatus and Aspergillus clavatus. Other species are important as agricultural pathogens. Aspergillus spp. cause disease on many grain crops, especially maize, and some variants synthesize mycotoxins, including aflatoxin."

There are many varieties of botrytis also.
Some are toxic.

That said, I routinely rinse
PM infested colas with H2O2.
But only because it's all personal stash.

One can not risk sickening the ultimate consumer.
There are people with impaired immune systems that use cannabis as medication.
So, unless it's personal stash, and you know exactly what you are doing, it's just not worth the risk.

Bag it, and work on prevention for the next crop.

Aloha,
Weeze

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weezard is right. An H2O2 solution would work. Give it a bath. If you place the buds into a h2o2 solution you will notice that nasty film develop at the top of the solution. Avoid that stuff getting back on the buds when you remove the buds from the solution. Make sure it dries. Its a salvage job now. Dont sell that to consumers.The whole dry cure perfection is also pretty much toast at this point.
[/FONT]

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
"Weezard is right. An H2O2 solution would work. "

Mahalo!
But just to be clear, the H2O2 treatment is for Powdery Mildew remediation only.
Any other kine mold, I toss.
Just not worth the risk.

Aloha,
Wee

growteam

When I was younger I got a nasty lung infection/sinus infection from what I suspected was moldy bud. It was scary. All these thoughts of toxic mold and death.