What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best overall commercial strain? (taste, yield, potency, etc..)

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I'm kind of curious what's the best commercial strain or strains considering taste, potency, yields, etc... I know of a few but what are some others that would be good for producing some quantity. Later on in the future I plan on running two 600 watt HPS's with 8 plants under each. One light will be be for commercial production. What strains perform best in this kind of setup? Here are a few strains that I know of that would be good for this.

Chronic
Northernberry
Big Bud
Power Plant
Northern Lights
Mango
Top 44

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If yo have large pots of soil and lots of space? Jack Herer [Sensi Seeds]

JH has it all from mother/clone method (THC, good yield, nice buds/flowers, heavy/trancy stone). Flowering between 70-90days (shown below) :D

HeavyDutyFruity (aka HDF) is a high yielding strain also.

*top44 only yeilds when grown in veg on for a while

peace dL :joint:

Last edited:

Tutu

Impossible to say depends on your grow style

Grapefruit, AK47 are the strains I picked but then again I'm not commercial just greedy.

4iiii'z

commercial bag seeds, quite often are sativa dominant plants
last one I had was the image of a Northern Lights x Haze
enormous buds & a powerful high
good combo

(*)^(*)

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Great! keep them coming. I'll list the strains I have and you tell me if any of them would be good for commercial. I haven't had a chance to grow out any yet.

AK48
Bubblelicious
California Orange
White Widow
Blueberry
Northernberry (F1)
Northern Skunk (F1)
Mexican Sativa
Somango x Lavender (F1)
Rock Bud x Lavender (F1)
Skunk x Lavender (F1)
Sweet Tooth x Lavender (F1)
K2 x Lavender (F1)
Diamond Head x White Widow (F1)
Diamond Head x Northernberry (F1)

N

Neptune

Skunk #1
Northern Lights
Afghani No. 1
Hindu Kush

Crosses, Backcrosses, and IBLs of the above.

aeric

Veteran
F1s tend to yield better. Alot of those crosses have NL or Skunk, both good producers. I would choose Calio or Mexi but not for the yield (although they should at least be medium).

Last edited:

Dr. D

Veteran
Dankouver is a great all round producer so is Shit but that doea lack on the potency compared to the Dankouver..
Also fyi Closet Funk those Lavender x's you have there listed as F1's are mislabled...they are polyhybrids! Please get your breeding terminology right it misinforms people..peace

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
A good commercial strain should to be easy to grow, high yielding, pest resistant and fairly quick in flower - if you bring rapid turnover into the calculation. If in SOG, I'd go for an Indica or an Indica dominant, in larger hydro grows (ebb and flow or NFT) a well balanced Indica/Sativa (the exception to this rule is Power Plant, and excellent mostly sativa commercial strain with high yields). We've been running Northern Lights in our co-op grow for years now, and it's hard to find a better suited strain with all the qualities of the NL high. I would personally not run Big Bud, since the high doesn't really cut the cake IMO. My friends think so too and snub it for better tasting, stronger strains. All the Serious seeds strains (except Kali Mist) are well suited for the purpouse, White Widow and Blockhead too, and I'm sure a truckload of other strains I have no experience of. We listen to our friends, what they like, what they heard of that they like to try and adapt their demands. The days when a cashcropper could dump just anything on their clientel and get away with it are over I believe, at least in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
G

dont buy chronic, taste is virtually non existant and stone aint much to write home bout ,,but yield is big, very big,,ok 4 commercial selling but not 4 personal

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Funny, I've heard a couple of bad remarks about Chronic lately, and my personal experience is very satisfying. I wonder if there's a bad Chronic pheno that pops up occasionally. Then again, you cannot compare a fast flowering high yielder to a slow maturing low yielder, it seems to be a universal principle that quality high demands time and dilutes with volume. AK-47 is a close to perfect 50-50.

G

heres what we have for a commercial plant here, its a old blueberry cut from moonshineman. aptly named OlBlue, great cnady BB aromas, more candy like then anything. do get the BB muffin aromas from her when the jar has aired out. great yieldin plant, and as moonshine has said, a real beat down stone.

Pike

ndnguy

Closet Funk said:
I'm kind of curious what's the best commercial strain or strains considering taste, potency, yields, etc... I know of a few but what are some others that would be good for producing some quantity. Later on in the future I plan on running two 600 watt HPS's with 8 plants under each. One light will be be for commercial production. What strains perform best in this kind of setup? Here are a few strains that I know of that would be good for this.

Chronic
Northernberry
Big Bud
Power Plant
Northern Lights
Mango
Top 44
The Northernberry and Mango are the ones that stick out for me on your list , have grown both and the NB can have a massive yieldand the Mago can get right up ther to , Smoky mentioned the WR and the AK will most always produce. But with what you have I would go with The NB, Mango, AK48.Course thats just only one opinion, lotta great growers here to help ya out. :wave:

Mampi

I dunno about the best but Shiva Skunk from Sensi seeds has a good range of pheon's all (cept the 10-11 week tall biyatch) are suited good commercial plants...

Heavy musky spicy scent, with sweet understones..... good taste, bloom time between 8-9 weeks dependant on pheno although my friend had a girl that could be taken at 7.5 weeks, 7 if you were really wanted to :rolleyes: :D

My friend grew them out and I done a report on em here......... www. hg 420. com/showthread.php?t=17062&highlight=shiva+skunk there were 2 short bushy pheno's - both flowered @ 12-14" high one yielded 3 oz! the other 2.5... each plant was no taller than 20-22"....

The taller phenos yielded 3.5-4 oz .... but where better suited for a SOG.... although the short bushy NL pheno had a main cola that yielded near an oz on it' own.

The buds are extremely dense and covered in thc.... they also make great bubblehash and lots of it :)

My mate kept 3 pheno's and he has sour diesel, NYCD, NL, NLxBB, LUI and a couple more..... this is a good sommercial strain trust me!

Oh BTW its not a stinker either..... maybe the NL helps in that department as I read they are usually the least smelly plants in a garden.

Hope that's of some help....

Last edited:

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Dr. D said:
Also fyi Closet Funk those Lavender x's you have there listed as F1's are mislabled...they are polyhybrids! Please get your breeding terminology right it misinforms people..peace

I didn't make these crosses myself, someone else did. They were given to me as a gift from a generous grower. What's the difference between a polyhybrid and a hybrid? is the polyhybrid just an average cross that growers make and the the hybrid is when more breeding is involved with stable parents being choosen. I'll have to remember that. Thanks.

aeric

Veteran
a hybrid is between two strains, (not neccessarily an F1 hybrid between two stable strains)a polyhybrid is with 3 or more strains....if im not mistaken.