What's new

860 watt Ceramic Metal Halide raw bulbs vert

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
howdy vertville,
I've started growing with ceramic metal halide bulbs made by philips; the 860w models can be powered by a 1000w magnetic ballast (altho there are companies selling ballasts tailored for these bulbs, i have the MH & switchables laying around so im using what I have).

These bulbs are designed to be hung vertically, so it's a great reason for me to return to bare bulb vertical growing.

picture.php

the bulbs are double jacketed and have this crazy spiral of wire around the inner bulb:

picture.php

the lite they put off is very "white" and kinda blue, but very nice for pictures;

picture.php

picture.php

I will be documenting my use of these bulbs in multiple locations, to see how they perform in different circumstances and environments, above is shown a room with ONLY a 860w CMH in it, hanging vertically; here is a new room I've just set up with MOSTLY 1kw HPS lighting it, but in the back corner is an 860w Ceramic Metal Halide hung vertically raw bulb style...

picture.php

in the vented hood with vents closed off is a 315w Philips Agro Ceramic Metal Halide, the "next-gen" CMH technology, needs a different fixutre and it's own ballast.

If you are at all interested in this Ceramic Metal Halide technology I urge you to tune into the sticky in the lighting section (it's huge, but the last 40 or so pages contain TONS of relevant info and discussion concerning the CMH tech and products available):
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=72215

Subbing in for this.

I may just get a couple to run instead of MH bulbs in my vert stadium.

Ran 400w cmh for a few years, and had wonderful results with it. My best results were using it along with HPS - like one would with MH bulbs (2:1 - 3:1 ratio).

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent!

Glad to see something new poppen...
Nice to see down this way Avi... Looken dialed as always...

Pullin up the bucket and lots of pizza warming up for this one...

D.U.D.E...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll be watching to see how the big lamp fares - I'm particularly interested in how the 315 compares with it.

Mister_D

Veteran
Definitely subbing in for this :biggrin:. I LOVE my 400w CMH's, but Philips quit making them :moon:. Very interested to see how these newer bulbs preform as I'm debating weather I should move to the 315w or the 860w CMH.

CannaSavant

when I first set up my stadium it was 2 1ks and a 600 hps. temps were a little high so I took the 600 out and put in a 1k MH. ran five degrees cooler and better lighting.

I ran the agro suns vert and loved them

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Definitely subbing in for this :biggrin:. I LOVE my 400w CMH's, but Philips quit making them :moon:. Very interested to see how these newer bulbs preform as I'm debating weather I should move to the 315w or the 860w CMH.

imo
the 315s are better... newer tech, made for agriculture (315w AGRO elite) they run 2.5 amps about on 120... and are only WARM not HOT
unfortunately the only 315w CMH i have is in a fixture for horizontal, so I'd have to pull some tech-shenanigans (there is a simple conversion kit available i think) to get it in a vert fixture...

simply based on efficiency the 315s are superior, but the light coming of the 860s is impressive for sur

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

^ vert canopy at the end of veg around the 860w CMH

I'd really like to veg a lil longer with these ladies verty-style. seems like they could use to "bounce back " a lil more, but the time to flip is upon us so they will be flipped in the next few days.

flat9

What kind of heat do those things produce? Am I right to assume that since so much more energy is delivered is par, they put off less heat than HIDs? How much easier are they to cool?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What kind of heat do those things produce? Am I right to assume that since so much more energy is delivered is par, they put off less heat than HIDs? How much easier are they to cool?

not sure which of "those things" exactly you are referring to BUT:
the 315s make essentially NO heat 6 inches from the bulb, plants are safe even 5 inches for a lil bit.... altho the quality of lite changes when you get that close it's still safe heat wise for plants.

the 860w's on the other hand produce the traditional HID heat, perhaps a tad hotter, but right now my plants are all about 16" to 18" from the bulb in the vertical raw bulb, they can get that close because of the fan beneath the bulb... gently rising column of hot air, etc. :biggrin:

hope that helps flat9

D

Drek

the bulbs are double jacketed and have this crazy spiral of wire around the inner bulb.

Yep, to protect against the pressures in the arc.

the lite they put off is very "white" and kinda blue, but very nice for pictures.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Compared to 2100k HPS it would definitely be more blue, but compared to 6k MH there's a lot more red. It's definitely on the warm white side of white, with a strong orange, red flash in the arc. (580-680nM)

But yeah, it's whiter than 2100k. :)

Mister_D

Veteran
imo
the 315s are better... newer tech, made for agriculture (315w AGRO elite) they run 2.5 amps about on 120... and are only WARM not HOT
unfortunately the only 315w CMH i have is in a fixture for horizontal, so I'd have to pull some tech-shenanigans (there is a simple conversion kit available i think) to get it in a vert fixture...

simply based on efficiency the 315s are superior, but the light coming of the 860s is impressive for sur

My main concern with the 315's is canopy penetration. I've come up with some clever ways to combat this with the 400's, but even they are pushing the acceptable limits. I'm a bit skeptical that the increase in par is enough to equal or overcome the 85w advantage the 400's have. I suppose like most out of the box ideas, I'll just have to buy some and test them for myself :dance013:

Ttystikk

Who makes a ballast for the 860?

Any thousand watt magnetic ballast that runs MH bulbs will run an 860W CDM- and the bulb runs the rated wattage by itself, no outside help required.

It's kind of fun that the new hot thing in lighting is so affordable!

Ttystikk

I'm happy with how mine are doing so far. The plants love them, they respond well, they're putting on frost and getting chunky. That's what success looks like, right?

Latest posts

Latest posts