What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dream Berry BRIX/ROLS Newb Contest Entry

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

HIGH BRIX ROLS METHOD 4 MEDICINAL USES, PEST RESISTANCE
Brix is a measurement of the minerals, sugars, proteins using a refractometer that is used frequently in winemaking. High Brix food contains more nutrition with higher carbs and mineral content leading to better sweeter taste. Plants are resistant to pests and diseases the higher the number of brix level the plant achieves. Most plants have a Brix level of 8-10 but a healthy plant that is pest resistant has a brix level of 12 to start and the higher the number, the better the resistance. MMJ growers report on avg 16-19 with some claiming upwards of the low 20’s. Medicinal value is said to be greater due to better quality of juices leading to better terpene content.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=263692
The above link is the thread that I am using to base this grow off of. It contains all the info in a nutshell that I have learned researching this method. Another person to research who uses this method is DocBuds. He has endless threads talking about this and there are several others with recipes of their own. I chose this one to use because it was simple and seemed to be correct in the info I have gathered thus far.
The soil recipe I used is 25% happy frog/75% peat perlite mix measured out to 2 cuft. I mixed up enough for 10 cubic feet for a 3x3 root fabric bed I bought from Gro Pro. I also added more 6-5-3 than suggested. So instead of 1 cup; I used 1.5 cups. Here’s the original recipe:
“Adding 1 cup of 6-5-3 to 2.0 CF of soil (25% happy frog 75% peat perlite mix)
6-5-3 = 6 parts Calcium Carbonate 90% pure or better CaCo3(Limestone not Dolomite Lime) ß(this has too much magnesium and in Brix you’re trying for a specific cal/mag ratio. I had to go buy this at Ace Hardware. No garden lime-oops! Had to return).
5 parts Soft Rock Phosphate
3 parts gypsum

3 quarts EWC
1/2 cup Azomite
1/2 cup
Bone Meal (I used fish bone meal which had a smidge more P)
Mycos (I used Subculture M, plus Dr Earth SRP has mycos)

mix it pour microbial tea over soil mix and let it cook 1 month in warm place, making sure it does not dry out during the cook period. like I said I didn’t create this this was formulated for me for high brix by ag lab” (He had it tested for berry’s and herbs. Doc Buds had his recipe tested for hops which is a relative of cannabis). Doc Buds has a whole mix you can buy apparently that doesn’t give out the recipe so you have to buy his kits.

In Brix, you don’t need much perlite as the amendments used help you achieve a loamy soil. It was truly beautiful when I was done mixing. Reading has shown that Brix soil only improves over the years so I plan to amend after harvest using soil test provided free by our county. After cooking a month, I plan to get a test to see what the base looks like and maybe get tests each month after wards to provide a basis to uses when deciding how to amend.
The recipe also uses Earth Juice Nutrients to feed weekly and also has a foliar feedings as well. The use of foliar is to super charge the plant. He is using AG Labs Brix plan to amend his soil at first but decides later on to use EJ products. Here is what he says about foliar feeding:
“Foliar Feed Regularly

Have you ever used an old-fashioned hand pump to draw out water from the ground? The first thing it needs is some water poured down the shaft followed by vigorous pumping on the handle. It only takes a small amount of water to “prime the pump.”

Foliar feeding is like priming the pump on a growing plant. A prerequisite prior to foliar feeding is to ensure adequate minerals and biology have been added to the soil. When this is coupled with regular nutrient drenches to keep the soil energy at its peak, the plant is now ready to be “primed,” via foliar feeding, for optimum production.

Let’s take a closer look at what happens when a foliar spray is applied to plant leaves. A well-made foliar spray is a dilute nutrient solution. If properly constructed it will pass through the leaf surface and increase the photosynthetic capability of the plant. In other words it will allow the plant to take in more energy from the sun. The difficulty is in properly constructing the foliar spray. It is very important to fully understand what effects specific nutrients have on plants. The wrong foliar spray at the wrong time can create a tremendous yield decline. Here is a very important caution when foliar spraying: Either know what you are doing or work with a consultant who does.

When a foliar program is properly applied the mineral density within the plant is increased, as are the carbohydrates or plant sugars. This increase of plant sugars and minerals are sent to the roots of the plants, some of which are excreted out of the roots as plant exudates. This increase of plant root exudates, caused by the foliar spray, creates a ready food supply for the bacteria that live symbiotically on the plant roots. Bacteria respond to this increased food supply by making more nutrients in the soil available to the plant. These minerals are picked up by the roots and sent to the aerial part of the plant. This process explains how a foliar spray can increase brix readings.

In addition to increasing nutrient density, a foliar spray is a command to a plant’s physiology. A foliar spray can either push a plant toward vegetative production i.e. growth of leaves, stems, and stalk or it can push a plant toward reproduction i.e. promotion of blossoms, flowers, and fruit set.

Systematic foliar spraying will exhibit a cumulative effect of increasing yield along with mineral density and plant sugars.

The Path to High Brix

In summary the Path to High Brix is really quite simple—just create the right environment for plants to express their full genetic potential. To do this we must have a vision and a roadmap as we do the following 3 steps:

Remineralize and Balance the Soil
Create and Maintain Soil Energy
Foliar Feed Regularly

Important Questions for high brix growing:
How much calcium is available for the crop to build healthy cells?
Is calcium in correct ratio with magnesium?
Is there sufficient available phosphates in the soil needed to carry other nutrients into the plant and provide the energy transfer within the plant?
Is there a broad-spectrum of
trace minerals available to the plant?
How active is the soil biology?
These are the important issues that must be addressed if we are to achieve high brix.

In order to achieve high brix, certain ratios of minerals and major elements must be in balance. This part of the "method" is pure science, and not subject to opinion or debate.

Basically, you've got to have lots of calcium, most of it from limestone, soft rock phosphate and gypsum. If you use those 3 ingredients alone, 6 parts CaCo3 (calcium carbonate), 5 parts Sort Rock Phosphate, and 3 parts gypsum, you've got mineralized soil. 1 cup of this mix per bag of soil is a good place to start.

In addition to the foundational minerals, you'll want minors and
trace elements. In a well-designed potting soil, adding a bit of Azomite.

Things to avoid as recommended by the lab:
Dolomite, lots of
kelp, high phosphate ferts, compost, bentonite/montromorillionite, excess epsom salt, high potassium ferts.

The big surprise is compost. For some reason I used to be under the impression that compost was just nothing but good, and more compost improved the soil, etc. It turns out to be almost never used in high brix gardening

Dolomite is only good at one thing: stabilizing
ph.

However, the rock powders I listed above will also stabilize
pH AND be a source of minerals for the plants. There is no reason to use dolomite when you can do such a better job with the other stuff.

When looking for limestone, you want something pure and 90% or better Calcium Carbonate. Please take note that this is not Calcium Carbonate Equivalent.....but actual Calcium Carbonate. Limestone = Calcium Carbonate. (CaC03)

When you see something listed "calcium carbonate equivalent" and then some percentage after, it's describing the
pH buffering capacity of the material. We're only interested in that as a secondary consideration. We want the calcium! So, pay no attention to equivalents....just look at raw ingredients and get something 90% or better CaCo3, which is exactly what you have there!

Be careful with the molasses it's high in potassium. Use it sparingly. Dextrose is an excellent source for beneficial Be careful with the molasses.

Good amendments to add
Oyster shell
fish
bone meal
Azomite, any minerals with trace
EWC
crab meal

Greensand is way too high in potassium. You won't get anywhere near high brix with that.

FEEDING SCHEDULE:

---- Catalyst--Microblast--Grow---Bloom--Sugar cane syrup--Hygrozyme--Kool Bloom--Calcium Nitrate

1 )veg--5ml--------5ml----5ml
2 )veg--5ml--------5ml----5ml
3 )veg--5ml--------5ml----5ml--------------------5ml--------------2.5ml
4 )veg--7.5ml-----5ml-----7.5ml------------------5ml--------------2.5ml

1)flwr--10ml-----5ml--------------7.5ml---------5ml---------------5ml------------2.5ml
2)flwr--10ml-----5ml-------------10ml---------10ml-------------5ml--------------5.0ml---1/8 tsp per gal
3)flwr--10ml-----5ml-------------10ml---------10ml------------10ml--------------5.0ml—1/8 tsp per gal
4)flwr--5ml-------5ml------------10ml---------15ml------------10ml--------------7.5 ml--1/8 tsp per gal
5 )flwr--5ml-------5ml------------10+ml------20ml-----------10ml---------------5ml---1 tsp per gal
6 )flwr-------------5ml------------10+ ml------20-25ml---------10ml------------2.5ml--
7 )flwr---------------5ml-----------------------20ml------------10ml
8 )flwr-----water only till harvest on 60-65 day strains. Continue week 7 if flowering longer varieties.

Spray Schedule:

Veg spray once a week-spray day after feeding

½ tsp Calcium Nitrate + 1 tsp Dextrose
use when plants are on 5th leaf set

Veg spray once a week** don't use if plants looks perfect **
Neptune Fish and
Seaweed + Dextrose use 2-3 days after Calcium nitrate and once a week during early bloom stop using when anionic and cationic sprays are being used

Humus water = 5ml Medina HuMate liquid humus + 1 gal water + 1 tsp Dextrose
use in place of plain watering once a week between feedings then use plain water if needed before next feeding ** not to be used during flush**

Anionic spray = ½ tsp Calcium Nitrate + 1 tsp Dextrose + 5ml Neptune Fish and
Seaweed + 5ml Earth Juice Microblast.
To be used 1 day after Anionic Drench feedings are given to plants

Cationic spray = General Hydroponics Kool Bloom 1/16th tsp + 5 ml Neptune Fish and
Seaweed + 1 tsp Dextrose + 5 ml EJ Microblast
To be used 1 day after Cationic Drench feedings are given to plants

Anionic and Cationic Drench

used on alternate feedings starting at the first sign of flower set development usually week 2-4 during BLOOM PHASE. We are going to play these two different sources of energy against each other which will result in more vigor and better essential oil production in herbs and more nutrition, sugars and calcium in fruits and vegetables. Most have a nutrient base of liquid fish. They are applied with water at the base of the plants once a month. He did not give a recipe for the drenches so I am going to use the spray’s ingredients as a guideline and decide on how strong to make it.
What is the purpose of the nutrient drench?
Nutrient drenches in the High Brix Garden program perform 2 improvement functions. First they help the soil maintain its electrical conductance. This provides the soil with plenty of energy to keep the plants growing at full speed. Secondly nutrient drenches can supply extra nutrients to plants that have special requirements.
Who the hell am I?
A little bit about me: I started growing at the end of January this year in ebb and flow which turned bad and so I planted them into soil after two months. I enjoy hydro and its control but pathogens seem to attack my rez and researching has led me to stumble upon high brix when looking for pest/disease management. Everyone one in my community is into organics and tell of their ease of use and disease management due to the healthiness of their plants, nature, granola and bananas….
I have spent a shit ton on hydro products and am still having troubles so I’m probably going to start growing in beds and doing a recycled organic living soil bed. I looked into different types of bed designs like Soma beds, Earthboxes, but don’t like the idea of the bed not being able to drain all the way. So I found a smart pot fabric style bed to use with my 3x3 tray filled with hydropellets so the fabric bed is exposed to more air underneath and also allows for thorough drainage. By reusing the soil, I save money and also can create higher brix over time. Soil used after 3 years has been reported to go from a C grade up to A or B so each harvest should improve. This can’t be done forever I’m assuming as soil needs a rest period so as time progresses, hopefully I can figure out when I need to start fresh.
Strain: Dream Berry (Blue Dream male x Shishkaberry)
This strain was bred locally and released through a collective garden near Olympia Washington. When I went to pick it up, the owner said that the breeder got a Blue Dream male and crossed it with Plushberry, then immediately said, “no wait, Shishkaberry!” I tried looking it up to see if anyone has any info and it brought me to another Dream Berry but different lineage. He said that it has a sweet tart taste with a sweet taste at first that has some lemony tang afterwards. It is a sativa dominant hybrid. Flowering time for the Shishkaberry is 8 weeks while Blue Dream is 10 weeks so I’m hoping for 8-9 week finishing time.

EDIT: strain is a blue dream female crossed with a shishkaberry male. i went to confirm identity with dispensary owner. also, the above feed schedule and plan is being revised throughout the thread to eliminate non organics. please read thread entirely while grow is progressing. At the end I will revise this to reflect the final changes made as well as original for comparison.

Last edited:
D

DoubleDDsNuggs

Here come the ladies!

Here come the ladies!

http://youtu.be/FfpSvIL9UII

Bought clones today! two unknown blueberries, two blackberry kush, and the leading lady of this grow show: drum roll please....Dream Berry!! Soil was mixed two days ago and is cooking right now. These clones are small and are going to stay in their original containers till I start to see some growth! Waiting for my Gro Pro 3x3 fabric bed to come in the mail so I can take the soil and start cooking in the bed and get it out of my driveway. Will be fed a light nute tea. I'm thinking just some EWC for now. possibly a little grow/bloom in there as well. I am not using Earth Juice's normal base nutes but am instead using their Hi-Brix base nutes which SAYS that you only need the two bottles and don't need the other stuff (but I got that stuff anyways cause who knows and I can then customize it for deficiencys)

Last edited:
D

DoubleDDsNuggs

i included his EJ feed schedule to use since most people have the original EJ products. I am going to try adding the catalyst since that is what drives the base nutes. It's not clear from the product label what exactly it is or is in it. I can use the micronutrients if needed. Simple cane syrup is just regular sugar and water heated on a stove http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/SimpleSyrup.htm
This is what I'm using to substitute for molasses and there was also a thread recently talking about the benefits of foliar feeding glucose/dextrose. the sugar is a simpler form than molasses without the added potassium which makes it easier to break down.

thread for the glucose foliar feeding https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=283584

Last edited:
Great start thread!

Great start thread!

WOW DD this thread is awesome. I love your dedication and thoroughness. You really got a great plan going and I think this grow is gonna be amazing. I sent you a PM abut a great book for people that like TLO. Its suppose to be best in its genre. I love the youtube video its so creative. Keep up the good work your on a roll. I cant wait to see those little ladies show their stuff. Great work, I'll be looking on. Congrats.

NYUF :tiphat:

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

Thank you!! I have put a lot of work into creating this and doing research. I am really looking forward to collaboratively learning together about this side to organics.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

I went into a local organics garden store and saw a giant cannabis stump hanging from their ceiling. I was told to go there to get amendments in large quantities and see if they could tell me about brix by someone. $70 a soil test and they said they can give me recommendations to get better brix! The science lab guy was pretty cool and helped me understand a little bit more about soft rock phosphate. Not your typical cannabis people and they create and mix their own soils. He suggested I get their premixed Medicine Man soil which is create specifically for cannabis. I told him I'd be back Friday when I got paid to buy a bag or two of his soil ($34 maybe 1.5 cuft?) I can then use that soil to transplant my clones and also my hydro plants which have gotten case of root rot...again. so I'm fucking done with hydro. I'm not wasting time trying to fight a battle that seems to be a losing one for me at least. organics cured them last time so in they go!

As far as I know, there is no lab recommendations specifically for cannabis; just hops a relative to pot. I am going to use their advice for my current grow and log it for others to build off of or use.

Gry

Veteran
Have to agree with the previous poster the level of thought that is going into this is impressive. Wish you the very best.

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

Thanks for the kind words!!!!!! I hope this turns into a new way of growing for me and a deeper understanding of the biological processes going on. I'm super curious to see how the anionic and cationic drenches and sprays work to increase yield. I have been so interested in learning about this that I've neglected my Business/non profits degree so I signed up for a class involving the food (who has it, 3rd world, Africa droughts) and agriculture side of nonprofits because it teaches you about plant biology and I can do a final project on growing while still earning credit for non profit business. haha!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i felt like there were some holes in that formula. i suppose that relying on the soil test for whatever your particular inputs may be fills that in to some degree. but the soil recipe is unclear as to how much perlite is mixed w/ the "peat" portion of the "25% happy frog, 75% peat/perlite" formula. i finally found the "microbial tea" recipe (alfalfa pellet compost, blackstrap molasses and EJ catalyst) & that was something which was missing from the picture for me as well.

how much perlite did you use? it sounds like 50/50 peat/perlite in budrunner's description but then it sounds like much less is actually used {like a "normal" amount? 15% to 20%?}

had you considered some of the products mentioned in the growing large plants thread? I've been curious to try some pepzyme C & spectrum extra ~but, i wonder whether this isn't dependent upon other factors/inputs {though it seems like they are basically microbial contributors}

anyway, i like to follow the hi-brix stuff & am along for this ride as well

best wishes!

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

i felt like there were some holes in that formula. i suppose that relying on the soil test for whatever your particular inputs may be fills that in to some degree. but the soil recipe is unclear as to how much perlite is mixed w/ the "peat" portion of the "25% happy frog, 75% peat/perlite" formula. i finally found the "microbial tea" recipe (alfalfa pellet compost, blackstrap molasses and EJ catalyst) & that was something which was missing from the picture for me as well.

how much perlite did you use? it sounds like 50/50 peat/perlite in budrunner's description but then it sounds like much less is actually used {like a "normal" amount? 15% to 20%?}

had you considered some of the products mentioned in the growing large plants thread? I've been curious to try some pepzyme C & spectrum extra ~but, i wonder whether this isn't dependent upon other factors/inputs {though it seems like they are basically microbial contributors}

anyway, i like to follow the hi-brix stuff & am along for this ride as well

best wishes!

I'm glad you mentioned the perlite! I too saw that when I was looking at the thread and did a little research and it seems like with Brix grows, they suggest little perlite because the amendments like gypsum for example, are used to condition the soil for drainage. I really didn't use much at all, probably 1/2 cuft?

I have never studied organics much before the past month because I grow hydro in ebb and flow tables. I stumbled onto brix when googling pest management for cannabis. I am almost finished with The Rev's TLO pdf book that NYUF gave me and I got a couple good things from it and learned about a lot of different organic amendments, many you can't use in brix either. The ones you couldn't use in brix contained potassium with one that also contained magnesium.

This is my first entire run using organics. I finished the bloom cycle with organics on some synthetically vegged plants that gave me some pH troubles when using the teas in soil.

you are also the second one to tell me to read that thread. specifically the last pages when there is talk of brix growing. I started reading some of it but then got into TLO. it's on my list of reads:biggrin:

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

the soil has all the macro and micronutrients I believe but it is not a water only method as far as I know because it relies on the foliars and drenchs to play with anions and cations to get serious growth and yield. each ingredient has a specific purpose to promote microbial life in the soil while making sure the plant gets a ton of calcium. Azomite helps ERGS and soil energy. Calcitic lime raises ph and provides calcium without magnesium to keep your cal/mag ratio correct. Soft Rock Phosphate conditions soil, and adds phosphorus and calcium which are bonded covalently so they are fed together as the microbial life break it down and feed it to the plant. Gypsum conditions soil while also providing calcium. The happy frog has guanos and ewc which can help with added nitrogen but this recipe is more about creating a high mineral content in you plants to increase the brix numbers.

Spaceman_Spliff

Nice, be careful with that BLO soil, it's pricy and we quit using it because of consistency issues. When it works though it works well.

Peace, SSSSpaceman SSSpliff

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

really? that SUCKS! what caused it to be inconsistent? too hot? nice to see you on ICMAG for once :) are you gonna join the grow contest??

Spaceman_Spliff

That would be like cheating, just cause I have few enough posts doesn't mean I'm a newbie. The soil was inconsistent because the person that mixed it gets going on turbo and forgets to add the nutrients. It happened to us twice on a large scale. The soil is good and as close to water only as it gets but adding the witches brew product he makes takes it up a notch.

Peace, SSSSpaceman SSSpliff

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

I wonder if they replaced the guy who mixed the dirt because of all the problems. surely losing an account should be the last straw. I highly doubt the old man does it since he went to go find someone to load my 50# bag of srp. the lab guy didn't want to sell the last bag they had to me but the old man was in a good mood and said he would sell me his last bag. he also said they don't do brix readings for customers but said I could find a meter online for cheap. I couldn't wait any longer to buy their soil so I borrow $ for a bag of FFOF and halved it with some peat moss and dumped the last little bit of perlite in too. My plants I have in hydro got root rot and so I transplanted them into soil. Their root system is really extensive but they lack soil roots so the GSC & Casey jones is pretty droopy but the Blue Magoo is just fine. The clones I bought included my girl Dream Berry got transplanted into 1 gallon smart pots as well. Then I cleaned out the tent and rearranged to convert my ebb table into a DTW and kept my trays filled with clay pellets. My 3x3 bed is coming UPS today so I am going to put the soil in there to finish cooking. I also harvested the last three of my first crop. it was a long day of gardening.

Going back to natures way.....

Going back to natures way.....

I wonder if they replaced the guy who mixed the dirt because of all the problems. surely losing an account should be the last straw. I highly doubt the old man does it since he went to go find someone to load my 50# bag of srp. the lab guy didn't want to sell the last bag they had to me but the old man was in a good mood and said he would sell me his last bag. he also said they don't do brix readings for customers but said I could find a meter online for cheap. I couldn't wait any longer to buy their soil so I borrow $ for a bag of FFOF and halved it with some peat moss and dumped the last little bit of perlite in too. My plants I have in hydro got root rot and so I transplanted them into soil. Their root system is really extensive but they lack soil roots so the GSC & Casey jones is pretty droopy but the Blue Magoo is just fine. The clones I bought included my girl Dream Berry got transplanted into 1 gallon smart pots as well. Then I cleaned out the tent and rearranged to convert my ebb table into a DTW and kept my trays filled with clay pellets. My 3x3 bed is coming UPS today so I am going to put the soil in there to finish cooking. I also harvested the last three of my first crop. it was a long day of gardening.

Good to hear you got your soil. I think transplanting into the soil was a good choice. Personally I believe that plants belong in soil that's how they were made even water plants embed themselves into the river or lake bottom. However doesn't stop people from creating ways to deviate from Natures work. I think your plants will be much happier now and will brighten up. No worries it'll work out.

NYUF :tiphat:

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

I just went and checked on them and they have started to perk up. I have to admit I did give them some H&G roots excellerator because I have dumped all my money into buying 40cuft of soil and huge bags of amendments to about $250 so that wiped out my paycheck. They were looking so bad though and the product is great; just not organic. These plants however are not part of this grow and I do have a lot of synthetic nutes left in practically full bottles so I'm continuing those plants that way and then at the end of the grow, I'm created a medical growers plant food bank. if you're broke and in need for medical reasons, you can scour our plant food bank that I'm hoping to set up at one of our medical farmer's markets!

D

DoubleDDsNuggs

they're on the video I posted on the first page of this thread. I will post some pics at the end of the day when I get my Gro Pro fabric bed. Stick around! I'm just getting started.