What's new

D's DIY Automated Vertical Feed and Drain System

Mister_D

Veteran
in for the show,looking forward for for this!!

Peace BH

No show, but there will be more updates as time permits :biggrin:. This is merely a tutorial.

i think i ll learn something if i stick around here...

That's the idea :biggrin:. Hopefully you can pull something useful out of this.

whatup D (and Bobble) :)

any chance of getting some details on the drain end of things?

peace

Yup, i'll be doing a full write-up with pictures on the drain side of things in the next day or ten :laughing:. Time is scarce lately, but i'll get to it sooner than later :dance013:

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
MEGA RESPECT!

solenoids... ingenious - so obvious - yet so foreign - wow guys

Bravo and Thank you.

I have two concerns.

One - how big are the containers your plants are in and are they in a uniform setup on a tray?

Two - If you have no run off - how do you know your medium is properly and/or fully saturated? Hydro or soil?

Sorry for all the question - i have more lol

Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to the community.

I'm going to see if this is potentially viable in my small space.

:tiphat:

DunHav`nFun

Respect for carryin the torch and still helpin folks unconditionally Bro.....

Had my fill of gettin trolled and called out , so I shit canned my account and signed back up for PM priveleges after 50 posts to stay in touch with old friends from yrs gone by....

Holler my buddy....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:.....

Mister_D

Veteran
MEGA RESPECT!

solenoids... ingenious - so obvious - yet so foreign - wow guys

Bravo and Thank you.

I have two concerns.

One - how big are the containers your plants are in and are they in a uniform setup on a tray?

I use 3 gal. containers, but the amount of water given to each plant can be adjusted based on the size of pot, and desired amount of run off. The plants are setup on vertical racks/shelves oriented in a circle around a stack of bulbs. Here's a picture to give you a better idea. If you look closely you can see the solenoids between each rack.

picture.php

Two - If you have no run off - how do you know your medium is properly and/or fully saturated? Hydro or soil?

I grow in my own custom coco based media. I know everything is watered correctly because I lifted each pot every few days for a couple weeks. Making sure everyone was maintaining the desired wetness, adjusting as necessary. If you desire run off it's very easy to adjust either water intervals or/and the 1/4" ball valves to achieve how ever much runoff you want. This system could be used for any media that takes timed interval feedings (i.e dirt, coco, rockwool, etc)

Sorry for all the question - i have more lol

Ask away. I started this thread in hopes it might spark some ideas.

Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication to the community.

Just paying it forward. I've been lucky enough to have input from some great mentors over the years. Including that guy in the next quote down, owe him more than I could ever repay......

I'm going to see if this is potentially viable in my small space.

It's doable in virtually any size space. Let me know if you need some ideas on scaling things down.

Respect for carryin the torch and still helpin folks unconditionally Bro.....

Had my fill of gettin trolled and called out , so I shit canned my account and signed back up for PM priveleges after 50 posts to stay in touch with old friends from yrs gone by....

Holler my buddy....

Peace....Freds.........

I do what little I can around here, but thanks bro :tiphat:. Sucks the ass clowns ruined it for everybody else :moon:. Trolls just let you know you're doing something right though. I'm guessing the sour taste will leave your mouth eventually, and you'll get back to doing what you do best :biggrin:. Whatever the case, keep in touch in bro. Was on the verge of trackin' ya down at one of those other places. Fuckin' good to have ya back :friends:!

Good to see Freds back around! Every single thing I've designed with my vert grows was all based around his preachin'

Thanks for sharing your design, D! I've tried a few times to design a multi-level watering system for my vert SOG cab and its been nothing but disaster.

Fortunately, I'm moving onto bigger things soon. Been gathering equipment together and about to make a move into a place with a basement for me to play with. I've got 2 full rooms to design and I'm definitely running vert in one of the two rooms and I'll be using this system for watering my plants.

Question though - how would you alter your design to accommodate a low ceiling height (6'6'"?) I ask because I know you use gravity to to draw water from your res, meaning your res has to be above the level of the plants. 6'6" doesn't give much vertical space as-is once you take containers and everything into account so I'm wondering if you wouldn't opt for a floor res with a pump feeding a mainfold on the ceiling? I've never successfully had an automated watering system so I can't easily see the flaws in my plans.

Mister_D

Veteran
Good to see Freds back around! Every single thing I've designed with my vert grows was all based around his preachin'

Thanks for sharing your design, D! I've tried a few times to design a multi-level watering system for my vert SOG cab and its been nothing but disaster.

There was many failures on the road to this design :moon:. However, I believe it was Voltaire that said "No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking" :biggrin:

Fortunately, I'm moving onto bigger things soon. Been gathering equipment together and about to make a move into a place with a basement for me to play with. I've got 2 full rooms to design and I'm definitely running vert in one of the two rooms and I'll be using this system for watering my plants.

Awesome! Hopefully you're planning to do a build log?

Question though - how would you alter your design to accommodate a low ceiling height (6'6'"?) I ask because I know you use gravity to to draw water from your res, meaning your res has to be above the level of the plants. 6'6" doesn't give much vertical space as-is once you take containers and everything into account so I'm wondering if you wouldn't opt for a floor res with a pump feeding a mainfold on the ceiling? I've never successfully had an automated watering system so I can't easily see the flaws in my plans.

Would really depend on how the plants are oriented in the room, but if building something similar to my setup I would do it the same way minus the elevated res. Instead using the pvc manifold as an elevated res. The pump would therefore pull water from the floor res, and push it directly in one end of the pvc manifold. You then setup the other end to drain back into the floor res (Principally just like the fill and overflow setup I have shown in the original design, only the pvc is the "elevated res") where the cycle starts over again. This achieves a waterfall for oxygenation and mixing, as well as keeping water available for whenever your solenoid/s cycle on/off. Just keep in mind you'll still need ~1ft of vertical space (to achieve proper head) between the bottom of the elevated res (the pvc in this case), and the soil surface of your highest plant. You may find satisfactory results with as little as 8" of head, but that's really pushing it. Plan for 12" and you'll be fine :biggrin:.

This is actually a great idea, and exactly the kind of thing I hoped this thread would generate :respect: smokin. I actually hadn't considered that the manifold could potentially be used alone as the elevated res part of the system. Does lose the ability to keep your plants watered in the event of pump failure, but that's not an issue if you visit your garden regularly :dance013:.

Thanks, man! I've never really worked with pumps/irrigation/hydro so the whole concept is pretty new to me. You break it down in a way that's easy to understand, even for someone who's not familiar with all of the terminology.

12" of head necessary won't be an issue, my vSOG plants finish up 12-18" and I leave a 6" dead space at the top for heat collection/extraction. Given my rooms (assuming I get the place) are rectangular, so I'm considering running a stadium style grow rather than the stacked bulbs that I run now. Easier/cheaper to get running than splitting the room in half and building racks.

Will definitely post up a thread once I get the house. 2gpw, here I come.

Miraculous Meds

I am contemplating a watering system for my racks. Does ur system have the flexibility to move ur racks so that u can train right on the front side of the plant?

With my vert scrog ppks, I came up with a hose manifold that sits on the ground with an arm that goes to each pot to a drip ring I built. Everything being made out of hose gives me flexibility to slide a screen open and train from the inside of the circle.

But with my racks, since they are multiple levels I was going to use a manifold for each shelf, so with 3 levels id have 3 pumps and 3 circle manifolds that have drip line feeding each plant. But with these I think I would have to pull the drip stake out of each plant on one rack to open the rack and get inside to train. Also it presents the problem of having to go under 3 manifolds to enter the middle.

Mister_D

Veteran
I am contemplating a watering system for my racks. Does ur system have the flexibility to move ur racks so that u can train right on the front side of the plant?

It can easily be adjusted by adding extra 1/4" line, or by adjusting manifold placement/shape to be able to move the racks if desired (the only design restriction you have is water must move from a high place (the elevated res and/or mainifold) to a low place (the plants), this can be accomplished a million different ways based on your setup). My current design doesn't necessitate me moving my racks as I have an opening (basically I removed one rack from the circle) that allows easy access to the fronts/inside of the racks for training/pruning/etc. I'll see if I can find a decent pic.

Walk right in, no ducking needed :biggrin:. Though the opening tends to fill with canopy by the end of stretch, so training early is a must ;). Also if you look closely to the right there's another "back" to the 8th rack that would close the circle if it were built. I instead use it as a removable "door" for the opening.

picture.php

With my vert scrog ppks, I came up with a hose manifold that sits on the ground with an arm that goes to each pot to a drip ring I built. Everything being made out of hose gives me flexibility to slide a screen open and train from the inside of the circle.

But with my racks, since they are multiple levels I was going to use a manifold for each shelf, so with 3 levels id have 3 pumps and 3 circle manifolds that have drip line feeding each plant. But with these I think I would have to pull the drip stake out of each plant on one rack to open the rack and get inside to train. Also it presents the problem of having to go under 3 manifolds to enter the middle.

You could do the three level plan, but that's unnecessarily complicated. I would setup very similar to how it is in my garden with the exception of adding some extra length to the 1/4" line running to each plant. That should give you enough wiggle room to move your racks far enough to train easily. Also you won't have to worry about crawling under anything as your single manifold will be up at head height or higher. It may or may not be worth mentioning, but as you can see in the picture above, I used a solenoid for each row of plants on either side of the door (the rest of the racks split one solenoid to feed two rows of plants), this is so I don't have 1/4" lines in the way of the door.

Let me know if you need further explanation :tiphat:

O

Oti$

Thanks for sharing D, you Freds and bobbles were all a huge help when I started growing and inspired my vert donut stacks, which to this day is my best yielding and favorite set up. I'd love to see that canopy infull bloom....
Freds, I know you are lurking and would like to thank you for constantly reminding me of the parameters we need to work within in order to be a successful grower. I cant thank you guys enough for all the help. D, I'll bs patiently waiting for some kewl pics

Mister_D

Veteran
Thanks D, im going to absorb this for a day or two and then I might have some questions for u.

Ask away my man, I try and explain things as completely as possible, but there's always something somebody thinks of that I haven't :tiphat:.

Wow not sure how I missed this!

Cool thread bro!

Must have been busy kicking serious ass with your ppk's :biggrin:. Glad ya found your way over bro :friends:

Thanks for sharing D, you Freds and bobbles were all a huge help when I started growing and inspired my vert donut stacks, which to this day is my best yielding and favorite set up. I'd love to see that canopy infull bloom....
Freds, I know you are lurking and would like to thank you for constantly reminding me of the parameters we need to work within in order to be a successful grower. I cant thank you guys enough for all the help. D, I'll bs patiently waiting for some kewl pics

Thanks oti$ :tiphat:. Still trips me out when people tell me stuff like that, but I'm glad you found some of my ramblings helpful :dance013:. Just chopped the racks last week, so no cool pics at the moment. I'll probably get around to sharing some things again at some point. Kind of on hiatus at the moment though.