What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freezing water on roots

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Has anyone ever used ice cold water on their roots to increase resin?
Or see or heard of anyone doing this? The last few days of flowering?
I just want to be sure that I am not missing something I never heard of. Did it work? Did it cause any problems?
I have had plants that got freezing weather for a few days and they showed inter-sex flowers a week later, it did not increase the resin. I have never tried using ice cold water on a flowering plant to increase resin.
Please explain what you did, how you did it, and the results, good or bad.
Makes me think of the old rumors that you could pull a plant out by its roots and boil the roots and make all the "resin" go up into the flowers, only problem is the roots don't have THC, but WTF.....
If anyone knows anything about freezing water on roots please post or find someone that has done it and have them post or you post the results.

I will keep tract of results.
Tester:........................ TS..........B360.......BA........Huge.......SS........Pinkus........MDave............ODW
Number of Clones...........?..............?.......1/seed........1?.....many dif.....?.............3var6each........seeds/clones
Number of grows w/cold..?..............?...........?............?..........?............?................?.................6 yrs
WLD, NLD, WLD/NLD.......?..............?...........?............?..........?..........W/N.............?...................?
Control Plant untreated?...?.............No..........no..........?..........?...........?................?...................?
Cold water time period..24-36h.....months.......?..........96h....1 week.....3 days.......whole cycle......2 weeks
Increased Colors............?.............no..........?..........yes.......yes.........yes..........Yes, few paler....yes
reduced yield.................?..............no..........?..........no.........no..........no............yes&no..... on WLD , NLD no.
Increased resin.............yes............no..........?..........no..........no..........no.............no.................yes
Intersex?......................no.............no..........?..........no..........no..........no.............yes................no
extra dark hrs?..............?...............?............?..........?.............?...........?..............no................72 hs at end

WLD, NLD, WLD/NLD.......This means Wide Leaf Drug or Narrow Leaf Drug or a hybrid of both

Reported by others:
Pepe le skunk,
several reports on other sites that freezing water the last two weeks helped resin production, from Headstash gardens, Clone master, and FB from a fellow Colorado resident.
MIMedHead,
Medman has made multiple comments about ice and cold water flushes that they help resin production.
-SamS

Last edited:

jayjayfrank

Veteran
thought this might be a late april fools! would this work in the same way as girdling? is it kind of the same idea?

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
yah sam I ve done this in hydro , last 24-36 hrs before chop. I run nft system so I buy the large blocks of Ice from safeways, they're aprox 8"by 12" throw a bunch of em in REz also I don't turn on lights last 24 hrs or so in room, this way higher temps wont melt your ice, I also drop temps to like 68ish to tell the ol girls to brace themselves, Winter is coming....... seems to get em goey n Oozing goodness, however don't leave the ladys in dark too long without chopping It makes em shoot out more white hairs,,

TS

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
yah sam I ve done this in hydro , last 24-36 hrs before chop. I run nft system so I buy the large blocks of Ice from safeways, they're aprox 8"by 12" throw a bunch of em in REz also I don't turn on lights last 24 hrs or so in room, this way higher temps wont melt your ice, I also drop temps to like 68ish to tell the ol girls to brace themselves, Winter is coming....... seems to get em goey n Oozing goodness, however don't leave the ladys in dark too long without chopping It makes em shoot out more white hairs,,

TS

thatd make my hairs shoot out too!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Hello,
Did you have any controls? Like the same clone, flowered at the same size, the same time but with no cold water? Have you used colder water, like ice water, without any room temp reductions, or only darkness?
Is it the cold on the roots or the cold air temps?
Interesting, I will try one plant.
I have seen outdoor plants that seemed to respond to cold by maybe making more resin I have also seen plants that hated it.
The same clone in a heated greenhouse had just as much resin when done, also put on at the very end of flowering, with zero cold.

Anyone else try this?

-SamS

TS

Last edited:

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Hello Sam,

back in the tropical Andes, at around 2500 mts above sea level, the water for irrigation came from a small river that flowed out of a small glacier lagoon located at 4000 mts above sea level, water was pretty cold to say the least, even during the middle of the day; did not notice anything special, other than the quality of the water, so fresh and pure... oh nostalgia...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Is that really it, no others have seen this ever?
Wow, it must really be good. And kept a secret.....
-SamS

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I've heard of this "shocking" method but always assumed it to be an old wives tale....

BagAppeal

I have a small auto flower that is almost done. I will give it ice water for the last days it lives, and see if it does something.
I will start today.

All the best

BagAppeal

_HK_

Hello Sam,

back in the tropical Andes, at around 2500 mts above sea level, the water for irrigation came from a small river that flowed out of a small glacier lagoon located at 4000 mts above sea level, water was pretty cold to say the least, even during the middle of the day; did not notice anything special, other than the quality of the water, so fresh and pure... oh nostalgia...

Certain places in Afghanistan and Pakistan do the same due to the localilty of Glaciers, and time of season. Tasted the difference over there. Mind you, being that high, and also in the mountains with nature, maybe the view effected my buzz to higher levels.lol

Fed quite a few of my ladies iced cold water in last week of flush. Cant say Ive seen any damage, but saying that, i havent got or tried any of the so called 'elite strains', which could be classed sometimes as more 'panicky' plants. I wouldnt be surprised if some of them kinda give in to the environmental stress.

Im running mostly afghan genetics from back home. my ladies can handle the iced cold water no problem.Not sure on other strains though. would love to see some experiments / research on the topic. Back home, they say the best hash comes from plants which have been on the glacial water

Hope that helps.
Good luck either way, and have a happy harvest.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Real shame you do not have 2 copies of the same clone that would be a real good test, but I will take what I can get.
Thanks,
-SamS

I have a small auto flower that is almost done. I will give it ice water for the last days it lives, and see if it does something.
I will start today.

All the best

BagAppeal

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I lived in Afghanistan, back in 1971, it was cold but it was winter.
Do you have an opinion if cold helps with resin? Have you ever done it on indoor plants?
Any body else?
-SamS

Certain places in Afghanistan and Pakistan do the same due to the localilty of Glaciers, and time of season. Tasted the difference over there. Mind you, being that high, and also in the mountains with nature, maybe the view effected my buzz to higher levels.lol

Fed quite a few of my ladies iced cold water in last week of flush. Cant say Ive seen any damage, but saying that, i havent got or tried any of the so called 'elite strains', which could be classed sometimes as more 'panicky' plants. I wouldnt be surprised if some of them kinda give in to the environmental stress.

Im running mostly afghan genetics from back home. my ladies can handle the iced cold water no problem.Not sure on other strains though. would love to see some experiments / research on the topic. Back home, they say the best hash comes from plants which have been on the glacial water

Hope that helps.
Good luck either way, and have a happy harvest.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I do not use freezing water but I have been using temperature to maximize resin production for years, however I do it a bit differently, I can also shed some light into the differential in to why some strains respond and why some don't.

temperate strains and hybrids that retain temperate strain traits produce more resin when they encounter stark day / night time temps AS THEY DID IN THEIR CLIMES OF ORIGIN, tropical strains that do not experience this phenomenon in their climes of origin do not respond as well to night time temperature drops

as fisherman we are taught to match the hatch as growers you should be matching the clime of origin for which the genetics you posses are adapted to perform in

I first noticed better resin production and larger resin when it was growing outdoors in the fall a about 20 years ago. Not all strains were effected equally but the one that were were all from temperate climes

conversely i have found in terms of primary metabolites certain tropical strains shine in a hotter than normal environment with less severe temp drops, the same tropical strains that have no real benefit to a temp drop have a benefit to higher than normal temps (90+)

I like a nighttime temp difference of at least 20 degrees starting a 4 weeks into flower, I don't use traditional controls so I don't always get the exact window I desire and I end up running my grow colder for a longer period of time.

I also like to foliar late in flower for the same reasons, practices that SEEM counter intuitive to growing.

They are not. I had mentioned environmental homogeny before and people confuse it with genetic homogeneity.

They do not hold the same meaning. As growers, and in increasing incidence, people are growing in HOMOGENOUS ENVIRONMENTS, where there are very static environmental inputs.

the plant did not evolve to grow in this environment and the phenotype expressions (both primary and secondary metabolite based) are GREATLY effected by this homogeny.

Potential primary and secondary metabolite growth is dictated by dna by the expressions is greatly effected by environment

as for secondary metabolites their composition and production is dynamic and while tied to plant health has its own criteria for maximum potential

Some key elements in maxing secondary metabolite production are rhizopshere interactions, temperatures and light once again all tied to what is dictated by DNA which has been adapted to specific environments

I doubt the bulk of temperate strains being held have grown for eons on the bases of glaciers and adapted to frozen rhizoshperes

most are probably looking for the environmental cues you find in temperate climes

_HK_

My current indy is from back home, and I have done to her a lot of testing. She smokes best when last few weeks have been colder, and the water temp is low as possible.
I keep my humidity below 30%, i like to feel a real crispy air , like i do when back home.

Once again, very limited experience here, and also im dealing with a strain handpicked from farmers from there, which im told can handle whatever I throw at it. lol

Hey sam, you been back home? Excellent, great to hear that you have travelled the world. Any chance of mentioning whereabout you went? Did you enjoy your time there? I hope the people treated you according to custom, as family.
Any regions that caught your attention, with regards to plants, or wanting to try seeds from a certain region? We go over ever year or two. Oops, sorry, going off topic here.

BagAppeal

Ice water

Ice water

Dear Sam
I agree with that.
I will be watching the resin in my microscope to see if there are any changes that I can see.They are clear at the moment.
It is beeing grown outdoors in the tropics, got 12/12 sun all year round, just for the extra information.
I have some clones indoors running, will see if I have two of the same and try it there as well.
Thanks for pushing some new research:)
Real shame you do not have 2 copies of the same clone that would be a real good test, but I will take what I can get.
Thanks,
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
My current indy is from back home, and I have done to her a lot of testing. She smokes best when last few weeks have been colder, and the water temp is low as possible.
I keep my humidity below 30%, i like to feel a real crispy air , like i do when back home.

Wow 30% humidity.

Once again, very limited experience here, and also im dealing with a strain handpicked from farmers from there, which im told can handle whatever I throw at it. lol

Hey sam, you been back home? Excellent, great to hear that you have travelled the world. Any chance of mentioning whereabout you went? Did you enjoy your time there? I hope the people treated you according to custom, as family.

I have been to most traditional centers of Cannabis production.
I spent most of my time in india, lived there several years.
Thailand, Burma, Laos, Viet Nam, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, Morrocco, Mexico, as well as lots more...

Any regions that caught your attention, with regards to plants, or wanting to try seeds from a certain region? We go over ever year or two. Oops, sorry, going off topic here.

You go where? Afghanistan? Where in Afghanistan?
-SamS

BagAppeal

Just treated the plant with water that was full of ice, left it sitting for a while to get ice cold before I watered.
Watching the plant in the microscope for changes. So far no visible.
Any idea how long time I should be treating with ice water for the result, or how long time the plant should take on giving a reaction?

All the best
BagAppeal

Stoogots

Veteran
Just treated the plant with water that was full of ice, left it sitting for a while to get ice cold before I watered.
Watching the plant in the microscope for changes. So far no visible.
Any idea how long time I should be treating with ice water for the result, or how long time the plant should take on giving a reaction?

All the best
BagAppeal

:comfort:....was you looking for an immediate reaction?

BagAppeal

No, not really..
Just keeping my eyes on it, at least I will have some impression of when and what happens if I do.

HUGE

Veteran
I have heard of this but to bring out purple not to bring out more resin. I know it works well on gods gift. A friend of mine just tried it and that gift went completely purp with like 4 days of ice water to roots.