What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Fasciation

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In a mixed genetics room of all clones, i have got a clone of a Drizella doing some very nice and unusual (for me at least) fasciation. Flattened main stem only, all other branches are round, top of plant is also fasciated, im interested what kind of bud it will produce.
Plants just started flowering 4 days ago, streching now. Only one plant in the entire room is doing this, and they all have been treated the exact same since being transplanted into final flowering containers.

picture.php

same plant

picture.php

Anyone have any experience with cannabis fasciation? products that caused it? strains that do it more than others? I have read that it can be caused by many things (diff. forms of stress usually), but is generally considered a random mutation (please correct me if im wrong).
Feel free to post pics of your fasciations of any species here, altho im especially interested in cannabis (of course).

IF there is another thread(s) about this id love to have links posted here, as well.

article w some pics @ fasciation:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/fascia.shtml

Last edited:

Puffaluffagus

Veteran
Interesting.
I had to look this one up

When I first saw the thread title I laughed, and thought, haha, he can't spell fascination

TheArchitect

Veteran
From your article. Particularly the bold.

Miscellaneous causes: Herbicides, insects and physical injury to the growing tip are reported to stimulate the occurrence of fasciations (Geneve, 1990). Fasciations also are reported to come about through spontaneous mutations (Gabillard and Pitrat). Conditions favoring rapid growth also favor the development of fasciations.

Maybe your shits just dialed in and it was a spontaneous genetic mutation.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I had a Trainwreck x Princess Diesel show fasciation, or cresting as it's also known, a few years ago. From what I've gathered it occurs when a growth point changes from a round dome of cells into a crescent shaped one instead.

It was the only one out of 20 Trainwreck x Princess Diesel and about 25 other plants in the room at the time to do this. From clone it grew normally with no signs of any prior fasciation.

The flat stem was a trip and the main bud came in really odd. It was like a flat top with a ton of leaves poking out the side and this hard, ridged worm-like growth in the center. Very funky.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Skip

Veteran
picture.php

Wow, that looks like a centipede devouring your plant!

The only reason I came to this thread was I thought the title was misspelled, and that it was Cannabis Fascination... lol!

Learn something new every day around here!

purple_man

Veteran
seems to be a reoccuring thing... had alot of the flat stemmed freaky buds in a speed queen grow in 2k9 (out of 30+ fems, 4-5 sported that "variation")... in the end, those phenotypes proved to be unwanted (smokewise production style)... seems like those phenos invested more energy in timber production opposing bud production...

blessss
ps.: breeding with those, might help the fibre/pulp industry, but in no way the smokers crew!

I had this happen to me on my previous (first) grow. The plant started out slower then the rest and then took off. It turned out alright but it was a bitch to trim.

Granger2

Veteran
I have a Euphorbia lactea cristata that I've been growing since the 70's.
http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/EU...lactea_cristata/Euphorbia_lactea_cristata.htm

Mine's like the ones in the link, but mucho mas grande. It occasionally puts out non crested stems. Some crest later, the others are removed. You said any species. I guess what you have would be Cannabis sativa "Drizella" cristata. Interesting. Keep us posted on how it turns out. -granger

ive had some plants pop up in seed grows that had those fasciated stems, they look cool but are undesirable and ive always culled them. i remember seeing some pretty neat pictures of a fasciated NYCD fully flowered out on ICMAG somewhere..

M

MrSterling

I fucking love fasciation in plants, especially cannabis. Cockscomb is another great one.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
watch the centre cola, theres a greater risk of bud rot with them.

This, and, a lot of bullshit, stem, wasted energy, I had 3 this year, all very poor yielders, next time I see one I am chopping it off, funky looker or not.

picture.php

picture.php

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for sharing chaos & everyone else, its an interesting anomaly, def no "ideal" for what all of us are doing, but im going to keep mine around and take some more pics as it progresses, its goin well, happy in week 1 still stretching.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fasciation

Fasciation

ive had some plants pop up in seed grows that had those fasciated stems, they look cool but are undesirable and ive always culled them. i remember seeing some pretty neat pictures of a fasciated NYCD fully flowered out on ICMAG somewhere..

Why undesirable barefootseeds?

I have this right now on a sleestack x skunk in week 2 of veg. The fasciated stalk took over the main one believe it or not. It just kinda showed up a few days ago. My zinnia also did it this past summer. I will try to dig up a pic of the flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts