What's new

Light proof door

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I have this on my vert thread but thought it would be good here as well.

A few weeks ago my fan sucked the zipper right off of my door. I had to staple the peel and stick zipper back in place. I guess that my fan has pretty good power.

So I came up with a new door. It came about because Bobblehead had told me that he uses velcro to close his door.

So here is what I came up with.

picture.php

As you can see it has reflectix for the door. The reflectix is four feet wide and the opening is 3 feet wide. This gives me a 6 inch overlap on each side.

The velcro is from Menard and is peel and stick. Here is a picture of the box.

picture.php

To make the door I ran the velcro down the sides and across the bottom of the door and staples the crap out of it.

picture.php

I got crazy with the staple and missed some. Must have been the mountain dew I was drinking.

Once I had on half of the strips in place I attached the other half to the stapled side.

picture.php

Next I cut the reflectix to fit the door. I made it longer then the opening. I stapled a 2X2 to one end of the reflectix and rolled it back and stapled it again.

picture.php

This is a crappy picture of the first set of staples. But basically it is just a 2X2 wrapped with reflectix.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
After I had the 2X2 wrapped I took the sheet over to the opening and put the feet of one side of my ladder on the wrapped 2X2 like this.

picture.php

This allowed me to get the reflectix tight when I pulled it up to staple it to the top of the door. When I pulled it tight I stapled it along the top of the door and down the side a inch or two past the top of the velcro.

picture.php

Once that was don I installed two eye hooks at the top and rolled the door up and held it in place with a bungee cord.

picture.php

picture.php

After securing it in place I peel the plastic off of the velcro and rolled the door down. I made sure I kept it tight as I did this so that the velcro would attach with no gaps. After I had it down I gave it a good pressing to make sure the velcro had fully attached to the reflectix.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
After the velcro was attached I rolled it back up and secured it with the bungee cord. It looks like this now.

picture.php

When I rolled it up I checked to make sure the velcro attached to my door frame stayed in place. I had a spot or two I went crazy with the stapler again. Then I had my wife press it in place with me in the room. She then took a light around the out side to check for light leaks and found none. I am very pleased with the door. Icost more then the plastic door did but it is easier to use when I need to get things in and out.

Thanks Bobblehead for the idea?:thank you:

conehead

keep on trucken

keep on trucken

[CENTGood one bro DIY. thats the way. Love the semi trailer load Oh ye could see my self driving that to Paradise.

:party::party::tree::tree:
ER][/CENTER]

S

swisscheese

You did the right thing stapling that velcro up otherwise it would keep peeling off making you go crazy trying to constantly fix it. Staples, velcro, and reflectix for the win!! Keep on trucking.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
You did the right thing stapling that velcro up otherwise it would keep peeling off making you go crazy trying to constantly fix it. Staples, velcro, and reflectix for the win!! Keep on trucking.

Yes if you don't put the staples in the velcro just peals off the wood. It is ok on the reflectic though.

I have been running these doors now for well over a month and they are so much nicer then the zippers.

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
I have a small 1K vert room w 5 ft ceilings that I made a Velcro/reflectix door, but mine is rigid, I stapled the reflectix to the cardboard box my ez clones came in.......

Staples in the wood, check..... Wasted a few pieces before I figured that out.

I might try your steez though, I like the rollup design.

Rbdf

I use velcro to keep the flap of my tent closed over the zipper. The velcro is ALWAYS peeling off and I have to replace it a lot. Never occurred to me to just staple it to the tent. DUH!

V

veclo

Great idea for a door, now just need to cover it somehow so it looks stealthy :)

budsahoy

Thanks for the idea.
I am currently laying out plans for my new(first indoor) grow and was looking for a idea for al light proof door. This will work perfect in my space
thanks again!

Buds

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
This is ingenious!

My first thought, though, and someone already mentioned it, is won't the velcro wear out pretty fast? But then that makes me think, couldn't this be done with a roll of that static cling stuff? Like what refrigerator magnets are made of?

SHWAK23

Why doesn't one just make a door out of a piece of plywood that overlaps on all edges. Then stick a little weather stripping around the edges so it's light proof when shut.
You do need to use overlay hinges to make this right.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Why doesn't one just make a door out of a piece of plywood that overlaps on all edges. Then stick a little weather stripping around the edges so it's light proof when shut.
You do need to use overlay hinges to make this right.

Only if you have the room to swing the door will this work. But it is a good idea.