What's new

My very first grow on my very first post

Here is my setup:

I have four Dutch Passion Feminised Oasis girls. As you can see from the pictures below I am using 3 waterfarms and am using miracle grow soil for one of the girls.

The light they are currently under is a 400 watt MH with a digital ballast.

The Nutes I am using are the GH Flora series, Dark Energy, Liquid Karma, and Nutriboost.

These girls were started in 1.5x1.5 rockwool cubes under 4 40 watt flourescents. When I started them I used distilled water with the reccomended amount of liquid Karma and Nutriboost. Of course I pH'd the water and soaked the cubes. As soon as I could see the roots coming out of the bottom of the cubes I transplanted them. It took about 3 - 5 days for the roots to show. Unfortunately during the process of transplanting I dumped one of the waterfarms. I tried my best to put the girl back into the waterfarm. Once transplanted I fed them with a week nute solution of about 250 ppm of the Flora series, Dark Energy, and Nutriboost. The pH of the water was about 5.9. With the soil girl I just used distilled water with some nutriboost that had been pH'd.

Here is the first pictures of the girls. They are about 9 days from seed. Sorry about the slow loads, the files are a little too big.

This is the one I named sorry girl because of her slow early growth. :)

This is the stongest grower and so I named her Big Girl.

This is of course soil Girl

This is the one I dropped

And here is a picture of the current setup

Lets get everyone up to date with the current state of the girls. These pictures are of the girls 12 days from seed.

Here is a pick of the Big Girl. She is still the strongest grower.

Here is the girl in Soil. She is looking pretty good.

Here is a picture of the girl who looked sorry to start out. She isn't looking so sorry anymore.

Last but not least is the girl I dropped. She is showing minimal growth.

Here is the latest update:

I upped the ppm of the nutes to 560. The nutes consist of the Flora series, Dark Energy, Liquid Karma, and Nutriboost. I also transplanted the soil girl into her final home, a 5 gallon pot. I gave her a weak solution of liquid karma and nutriboost. I took the girl I dropped out. It really frustrates me that I made such a stupid mistake and lost one of my little girls. I guess mistakes are made to learn from.

Here are the picks of the girls 17 days from seed. They have all really shot up. The room is starting to smell from the weed. I am getting excited. Well anyways here are the pics.

The Big Girl

The girl in soil

and the girl with the misappropriate name "Sorry Girl"

Well what does everyone think? Any suggestions?

G

Your seedlings look happy and very healthy :yes: Very nice work...keep it up :joint:

Here is the latest update. I added some airstones in the resevoirs. I put the line for the airstones inside the feeder tube.

You can see the extra tube in this picture.

Here is a side view of my biggest girl.

Two days ago I noticed some browning on the top of one of the bottom leaves on the big girl. I wasn't able to take care of it right away and it got worse. Later that night I checked the pH and it had drifted to 7.0. This is not good. I gradually changed the pH till it was 6.1, where it is now. Not knowing exactly what it the problem was I lowered the ppm to about 450.

Here is a picture of one of the leaves.

I have a few questions for anyone who can help. Do you think the problem was the pH or the ppm?

Also, how long will it take for the plant to start looking normal?

What ppm do you suggest for these girls in this stage of their lives? (I am using Flora series, Dark Energy, Liquid Karma, and Nutriboost)

Thanks all.

Last edited:
G

Looks like your biggest girl is going to have a lot of side growth...

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I don't have any pictures this time but I will still update you. The spots on the leaves started getting worse, and started spreading to the upper leaves. I attribute this to the increase in pH from 6.0 to 7.0. I think it caused nute lockout, and the plant is suffering from Mg defficiency. The strange thing is that the other plant isn't affected. I think this is because the bigger girl is suffering from a defficiency, and because of the difference in size the other girl is unaffected. I have been gradually decreasing the pH till I got to 6.2. Then tonight I flushed the plants with pH adjusted water and flora shield. I then filled the res with fresh nutes. (Flora series at 450 ppm and liquid Karma at 150 ppm) The pH in the res is now 5.8. I took away booth the Dark Energy and the Nutriboost, because I am trying to KISS.

Hopefully this solves the problem.

Does my diagnosis sound correct?

If you have any suggestions please tell me. I am new to this and help is greatly appreciated.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I was going to say that they look great from here jediknightsmoke...
except I enlarged that last picture and noticed some of what looks like early signs of mite damage on that leaf (the tiny yellow/white specs). Please get a magnifying lens (if your eyes are weak) and look very closely at the underside of that leaf for the dreadded borg. :yoinks:

Hopefully my eyes are playing tricks on me tonight and its nothing to worry about other than a slight bit of pH stress.

Thanks for your help 10k. I will check that out this evening. I sure hope that it isn't spider mites. That could mean a quick death for the big girl.

SackausAmerika

Cool to see an Oasis grow. Looks like your off to a great start jedi, I deffinately enjoyed mine ;) The bud in my gallery is Oasis...

It has been quite a while since I updated everyone. I had a little bout with root rot and have been busy trying to get that under control. At this point I think that I have it under control. I added some H2O2 to the res and that made a significant difference. I have also added an aquarium chiller.

Here are some pictures of the chiller

Now to the plants. The air temp is kept at 75 degrees and the humidity around 50%. I have raised the nute strength since the last update to 900 ppm. The pH is at 5.7. I am also keeping H2O2 in the res to keep the pythium at bay. These pictures are of the plants 35 days from seed.

This is a picture of the girl that started out the smallest.

Here is a picture of the soil girl. I am not sure what is wrong with her right now. The possibilities I could come up with are a pH problem, an undernute problem, and root rot. I gave her some nutes at 500 ppm and also added some H2O2.

This is a picture of the girl that started out the biggest.

and a side view.

And since I love to take pictures and show them, here is a picture of the grow room overhead.

Last edited:
G

Very healthy looking plants there JNS...and I'm lovin the chiller. How much did that run you? Got a link?

Keep up that great work.

Thanks for the kind words Steady Smokin.

The aquarium chiller is called ice probe. You can find information about the chiller at http://www.coolworksinc.com/iceprobe_aquarium_chiller.htm. It claims to lower the temp 6-8 degrees in a 10 gallon resevoir. I haven't had it running long enough to verify this though.

I bought the chiller for $100. I did a search at http://www.froogle.com for "ice probe chiller" and found the cheapest web store.

Last edited:
Here is another update for those interested.

The plants seem to be doing well. They are drinking around about 1/2 a gallon a day. They are nearly running out of room in the current room so I will be switching them into my bigger room. I have increased the nutes slightly to 950 ppm.

Here are some pictures of the girls. They are 38 days from seed.

I was really excited when I saw this on the girls. If you look on the right side of the picture you can see a preflower.

Here are some pictures of the next room I am moving them to. It is complete with a home made carbon scrubber, a 1000 watt MH light, and a 6" inline Vortex fan. The dimensions of the room are 4' x 5' and 9' high. I am going to let them veg longer sinced I have the room.

Here is a picture of the homemade scrubber.

Here is the light.