What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

ngakpa

Veteran
hi folks,

re. some earlier discussion, that I can clear up having lived in Laos for years, and knowing Thailand for a couple of decades too

in the ganja heartlands, on both sides of the Mekong, in northern Isan (NE Thailand) and Central Laos, the people are ethnic Lao

northern Isan, everybody speaks Lao at home

I know because I used to go there for business for years, with my ex, who is Lao... people in the area between Nong Khai to Nakhon Phanom are 99% Lao ethnic, including around Sakhon Nakon.

There are some minority groups, but their dialect is essentially just Lao too

from the point of view of cannabis, there's no meaningful distinction between Lao and Thai

you get some slightly different strains in Laos, which is a bit more diverse, but you can find all the 'Thai' types inside Laos too, it's where much of it is grown...

only a few areas of Isan have growing on any kind of scale these days

unnamedmike

Great thread and great green, guys :tiphat:
I am in love with thai, destroyer (not pure but mainly thai) is my day time med. i cant remember if the girl in the photo is meao Thai or Vietnamese, buy a million years ago, unfortunately all lost now.

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hi folks,

re. some earlier discussion, that I can clear up having lived in Laos for years, and knowing Thailand for a couple of decades too

in the ganja heartlands, on both sides of the Mekong, in northern Isan (NE Thailand) and Central Laos, the people are ethnic Lao

northern Isan, everybody speaks Lao at home

I know because I used to go there for business for years, with my ex, who is Lao... people in the area between Nong Khai to Nakhon Phanom are 99% Lao ethnic, including around Sakhon Nakon.

There are some minority groups, but their dialect is essentially just Lao too

from the point of view of cannabis, there's no meaningful distinction between Lao and Thai

you get some slightly different strains in Laos, which is a bit more diverse, but you can find all the 'Thai' types inside Laos too, it's where much of it is grown...

only a few areas of Isan have growing on any kind of scale these days
i figured there may not be a lot of difference between the laos and thai around the borders ,
the laos we are growing is similar to some thai we saw when we were younger ,
it develops decent flowers , not just whispy branches of wheat and turns quite golden toward the end ...

my ex wife was also thai , isaan ,
when i asked her since she spoke laos ,

and ate laos food ,, perhaps she has some laos blood ,

"no way ,, we are thai" .... lol ...

funny buggers ...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
huh Im curious how gtsxmmnh21 will finish at you. it seems very very extra tropical one :D
I doubt I'll be able to test fully ripe buds. In the greenhouse, things start getting moldy in December because of the wet season. What I'm hoping for is some pre-flowers locations to get some ripe seeds from my own line.

I've been working with other people's crosses like:
Neville's Haze
Perky - Afghani Thai
Train Wreck - Afghani x Thai x Mexican
Burmese (pure)
Bangi Haze
Kali Mist
SAGE

I've done pretty well working with the best I can find of others attempts at hybridization for earlier ripening, but nothing world class yet. Well, some world class quality, but not a combination of world class quality AND potency in one plant. I want to reintroduce pure high quality Thai/S.E. Asian back in my stock and work with it on my own terms/selections.

ngakpa

Veteran
i figured there may not be a lot of difference between the laos and thai around the borders ,
the laos we are growing is similar to some thai we saw when we were younger ,
it develops decent flowers , not just whispy branches of wheat and turns quite golden toward the end ...

my ex wife was also thai , isaan ,
when i asked her since she spoke laos ,

and ate laos food ,, perhaps she has some laos blood ,

"no way ,, we are thai" .... lol ...

funny buggers ...

as a Brit, I've always found it pretty easy to get my head around, because it all comes down to snobbery and status anxiety, which British people are experts in

you won't need me to tell you this, but for people who don't know the region well:

central Thais, especially urban Thais, are no strangers to snobbery, and it's normal for a Thai-Thai to look down on Isan/Lao people

Isan, particulalrly the north, is almost entirely Lao and, ouside the towns, Lao is the day to day language

so Isan people are caught in a bind: Thai nationals, but ethnic Lao, which means often getting condescended to and discriminated against by their 'fellow Thais'

there are 101 exceptions to this, but it's a fair picture of the general situation

in fact, this is what the messed up politics in Thailand has been all about, especially since Thaksin.

Isan has a huge population, and they mostly voted for Thaksin, because he invested in the region, and helped them out. That was something pretty new for them - there was barely a proper road in Isan even in the mid-60s, never mind decent schools and hospitals

what it came down to, is that because of how the Isan (Lao) country areas were voting, democracy wasn't working out the way that one part of the Bangkok Thai elite wanted... ie, they weren't in power, and weren't likely to be again for the forseeable...

solution: kill democracy, military coup etc

that's a very shorthand version of how Thailand got where it is today with the junta --- but yeah, some Isan people embrace their Lao identity and will just say, 'yes, I'm Lao', others not so much lol... all about navigating the perilous world of social status in Thailand

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Ngakpa

Its more than a regional thang .

Its more like a caste system . If you have dark skin you are less likely to rise the ranks of Thai society .
Crazy when you go to a market they run from one bit of shade to another to stay out of the sun and darkening their skin .

Thai Chinese have fair skin and skinny noses . They dominate the middle and upper class .
And all those bill boards advertising skin whitening products in BKK? Fair skin and thin noses .
That`s the ideal for a lot of dark skinned wide nosed Thais .

The Nation of Thailand has only had education for the masses since the 1940s .
Khun Thai wasn`t a thing till they all were offered 3 years schooling to learn central Thai language from late 40s onwards .

Then there is the land resumed from Cambodia , Laos and Malaysia at the end of WW2 .
Lots of Lao folks were forcibly moved from the east bank of the Mekong[ Laos ] into Isaan .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
as a Brit, I've always found it pretty easy to get my head around, because it all comes down to snobbery and status anxiety, which British people are experts in

you won't need me to tell you this, but for people who don't know the region well:

central Thais, especially urban Thais, are no strangers to snobbery, and it's normal for a Thai-Thai to look down on Isan/Lao people

Isan, particulalrly the north, is almost entirely Lao and, ouside the towns, Lao is the day to day language

so Isan people are caught in a bind: Thai nationals, but ethnic Lao, which means often getting condescended to and discriminated against by their 'fellow Thais'

there are 101 exceptions to this, but it's a fair picture of the general situation

in fact, this is what the messed up politics in Thailand has been all about, especially since Thaksin.

Isan has a huge population, and they mostly voted for Thaksin, because he invested in the region, and helped them out. That was something pretty new for them - there was barely a proper road in Isan even in the mid-60s, never mind decent schools and hospitals

what it came down to, is that because of how the Isan (Lao) country areas were voting, democracy wasn't working out the way that one part of the Bangkok Thai elite wanted... ie, they weren't in power, and weren't likely to be again for the forseeable...

solution: kill democracy, military coup etc

that's a very shorthand version of how Thailand got where it is today with the junta --- but yeah, some Isan people embrace their Lao identity and will just say, 'yes, I'm Lao', others not so much lol... all about navigating the perilous world of social status in Thailand
yep that sounds like what i noted ,
some deal with the rice went a bit south too,
politics is a crazy game anywhere , but thailand must win some sort of prize for crazy surely ,, lol ..

i appreciate the laos influence on the food in isaan,
thats some darn good stuff ,
on a recent trip to laos i was excited to try some of their cuisine,
the thais i was with said its not as good and its more expensive than what they have ,,
should have known thats what they would say ,, lol lol ....

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
dont know shit about politics there, but I saw some thai movies and they were crazy, and their ganja is crazy too :D

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I doubt I'll be able to test fully ripe buds. In the greenhouse, things start getting moldy in December because of the wet season. What I'm hoping for is some pre-flowers locations to get some ripe seeds from my own line.

I've been working with other people's crosses like:
Neville's Haze
Perky - Afghani Thai
Train Wreck - Afghani x Thai x Mexican
Burmese (pure)
Kali Mist
SAGE

I've done pretty well working with the best I can find of others attempts at hybridization for earlier ripening, but nothing world class yet. Well, some world class quality, but not a combination of world class quality AND potency in one plant. I want to reintroduce pure high quality Thai/S.E. Asian back in my stock and work with it on my own terms/selections.

I see. but you, as passionate grower, dont you want to see them fully matured or close to it? :D what about light dep.?

ngakpa

Veteran
yep that sounds like what i noted ,
some deal with the rice went a bit south too,

sure, but that was nothng but a pretext for the coup

it was disappointing to see so many expats and Thais buy into it

no matter how badly it was fucked up, a botched agricultural subsidy scheme has never been a valid reason for using the army to topple a democractically elected government

what a lot of expats who supported the coup didn't seem to appreciate is the implied racism of their argument that "it's Thailand, therefore it's ok here"

doubt they'd be talking that way if it was their country, their votes being pissed on, and them being disenfranchised

I notice they've gone quiet now that the junta has been in power for however long, the sorry f*ckers

about skin colour:

sure, that's part of the picture, and that's how it is pretty well everywhere in Asia ---- but the stereotype that Isan and other Lao people are dark-skinned and flat-nosed is in no way born out in reality --- less and less so the closer you get to the Lao heartlands, in fact

other thing: afaik, the forced movement into Isan of Lao for labour (corvee etc.) predates 20th century

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Right now, this plant is looking as much like Thai that I can muster:
picture.php

It has a lemon/pine aroma.

ThaiBliss

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have used a Chocolate Thai from billygoats Bangkok Betty line to create Chocolate Thainapple (Thai x The Truth) and Britney (Thai x Terperella/ChemValley Cooks).
Im searching for a pure Juicy Fruit Thai line to work with if anyone can help.
Peace

Here is a few of the super Laos haze. And a few highland thai in pots. The fab pot is the super Laos. Btw does anyone have any info on the super Laos haze? Seems to be quite a bit of conflicting stories. Your plants look really good randy. Thanks