What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Antique Strains

muddy waters

what plants do you have from the indian subcontinent zam and how do these compare with the plants from neighboring asian countries? is 'shiva' from nirvana an actual indian strain? is there an indian strain out there that is reasonably priced?

zamalito

Veteran
Although it has been changing due to commercial pressures traditionally north india produced the charas and the indicas whereas southern lowland india produces the ganga and the sativas. Right now I'm working with two of each. From the north I have a seedline that I've been working with from the area around the parvati valley (named after shiva's wife). Though I've bever been to india and I wasn't the one who collected the seed I believe that original seed was possibly a mix of wild and cultivated indicas. It produces two phenos one which is shorter and wider in stature (similar to a nl) and has a mild smell of sandalwood (wild?) and the other type is taller and more vertically branched and tends to be sweeter and spicier almost similar in flavor to a south indian. Also there is some intersexed traits which could be a possible sign of a little sativa in the cultivated pheno, but that's also totally a guess. The high is very complex and IMO is not always pleasant which fits since north indians are supposed to have very high levels of cbd, cbg, cbc, and thcv. Though I haven't ironed out the phenotypic variation I still use it for a breeder plant to cross to type 4 sativas. It doesn't seem to change the high that much and I'm guessing its because it contains high levels of accesory cannabinoids that some of which are present in the sativa. While at the same time has a very short trigger to initiate flowering outside, it doesn't have the high light requirements many landrace sativas have and is an adequate resin enhancer.

The other north indian I just started working with is dr. Greenthumb's (drgreenthumb.com) kashmiri resin factory which is a pure kashmiri landrace. This ones commercially available but is kinda pricey. I can't say a whole lot about it since it's early yet. But I have very high hopes for it. Interestingly Greenthumb says this is also an energetic indica "like very very smooth speed" and considers it the most potent he's smoked and also produces pink hairs.

As far as south indian I consider the zamal south indian since due to commercial pressures its actually closer to a pure south indian ganga strain than anything that's actually been in south india for 30 years.

The second indian sativa I'm working with is just a high quality seeds south india x skunk. It is quite different from what south indian bud is supposed to be.

muddy waters

fascinating stuff compadre... now i've been educated

so two followup questions:

any opinion on what the popular strain 'shiva' is/is related to?

how much are you gonna sell those kashmiri res factory F2's for on seedbay?

ites