Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > will 50 degree temps hurt my plants tonight?

Thread Title Search    
Click for High Supplies - buy cannabis seeds
 will 50 degree temps hurt my plants tonight? Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
lil skunk baby

lil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nice
will 50 degree temps hurt my plants tonight?

Due to unusually warm weather, I started my plants indoors and took them to the woods today because I just couldn't pass them off as heirloom tomato plants much longer.(family doesn't know) well, I got distracted and left them there outside by mistake. Weather supposed to go down to 50 degrees tonight. Should I sneak out of the house and get them? or will they be okay till tomorrow. They are still in solo cups and they have 6 sets of leaves......They are 15 miles from me and I have night blindness....so driving isn't easy, but I don't want to lose them ....advise please
lil skunk baby is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
farmerjoe420

farmerjoe420 will become famous soon enoughfarmerjoe420 will become famous soon enough
farmerjoe420 is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
lil skunk baby

lil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nicelil skunk baby is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoe420 View Post
i think they will be ok
you think? that doesn't sound like you are real sure about it..or maybe it just seems that way cuz I'm high

Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
yortbogey
In grained... In my brain...

yortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivor
yortbogey has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
U got supplemental light on them.... other wise in a week or 2 they will start to flower.... not enuff daylight yet to avoid this..... then as summer comes along.... they will try and REVEG....which will surely make a mess of those plants....
the 50 deg temps.... will be ok..... might wanna make a small h00p house for them for the next few weeks.... til good and warm comes too stay...........
but seriously.... they need night lights.......

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
Hammerhead
Banned

Hammerhead will become famous soon enough
one night of 50 wont kill them. Lets hope the slugs and snail and pussy cat tails stay away
Hammerhead is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
lil skunk baby

thanks Ybogey, I have been supplementing with night lights. Was really winging it, not knowing what to do, I sort of jumped the gun this year because it was so warm. It is getting dark about 8:30. Dang! do , I have to suppliment at night till the summer soltace? I've got 30 more seedlings with various germ dates still getting pampered indoors. I had a plethora of seeds as one of my girls accidently got pollinated last year and so I have been free and easy with the seeds ,planning on experimenting a little with different locations

Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
rives
Inveterate Tinkerer

rives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivorrives is a survivor
The last time that I went out of town, the batteries in my furnace thermostat died. The default setting is 50 degrees when this happens - I had some pretty chilly gals after somewhere from 1-10 days at that temperature, but they snapped right back.
rives is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
Friend

Friend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant futureFriend has a brilliant future
With my last crop the temperature in my grow room stayed steady at 57-58 degrees throughout the entire flowering cycle, and there seemed to be no adverse effects.

The plants appeared to be just as happy as they would have been at 70-75 degrees.
Friend is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
GrowBudsGrow

GrowBudsGrow will become famous soon enoughGrowBudsGrow will become famous soon enough
My room gets down to around 50-60 during winter and it takes a few weeks longer to flower. Outdoor sees 40 on some nights and there's no problem, unless you're growing a haze or something very sativa.
GrowBudsGrow is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
djonkoman

djonkoman has a spectacular aura aboutdjonkoman has a spectacular aura about
I have no idea how much 50 degrees is, since I use celsius, but IME cold temps isn't that much of a problem, cannabisplants can easily withstand some frost at night. but they will grow a lot slower or not at all, but as soon as it gets warmer again they'll take off
djonkoman is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
yortbogey
In grained... In my brain...

yortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivor
yortbogey has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
just cause the plant SURVIVES.... cold temps.... Does NOT make it g00d and /or OK....
Yes, the plant can survive.... BUT the exposure to cold 60deg and below slows the growth rate of the plant by half..... 50deg and under the plant almost stops growing.... and goes into survival mode..... not really beneficial in the long term scope of flowing plants with there usual time frame.....remember even out-door's....ENVIRONMENT affects...EVERYthing

Old 04-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
lil skunk baby

seriously YORT ,
how long would you suppliment night light?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
Mrs.Babba
Chimney

Mrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivorMrs.Babba is a survivor
We plant around mid May around here, the days are long enough to keep the plant in veg...it will start flowering around mid August.

Be Good Humans.....

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are." --Will Rogers

Mrs.Babba is offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
SeaMaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil skunk baby View Post
Due to unusually warm weather, I started my plants indoors and took them to the woods today because I just couldn't pass them off as heirloom tomato plants much longer.(family doesn't know) well, I got distracted and left them there outside by mistake. Weather supposed to go down to 50 degrees tonight. Should I sneak out of the house and get them? or will they be okay till tomorrow. They are still in solo cups and they have 6 sets of leaves......They are 15 miles from me and I have night blindness....so driving isn't easy, but I don't want to lose them ....advise please
They will BE FINE.

I've tried to kill cannabis plants by leaving them outside at the end of December, where they were exposed to temperatures well below freezing (15*F), high winds, rain storms, snow, everything *but* warmth. Those fucking bitches LIVED through the whole winter AND spring, only died from lack of water the following June.

They will be fine.

However, in future, try to remember to keep the roots as insulated as possible if they're in pots. In-ground, no biggie, but potted plants root zone experiences conditions that in-ground plants don't (stabilization of soil moisture, exposed to soil food web of life, stable pH, stable temps). Going for larger pots, setting them into the ground, or using other measures to ensure stability in the root zone.

Quote:
thanks Ybogey, I have been supplementing with night lights. Was really winging it, not knowing what to do, I sort of jumped the gun this year because it was so warm. It is getting dark about 8:30. Dang! do , I have to suppliment at night till the summer soltace? I've got 30 more seedlings with various germ dates still getting pampered indoors. I had a plethora of seeds as one of my girls accidently got pollinated last year and so I have been free and easy with the seeds ,planning on experimenting a little with different locations
No, seed starts do not need to have supplemental light, extension of photoperiod, or interruption of photoperiod, because they have not SEXED. It's when cannabis has sexed that photoperiod plays such a crucial role.

With seeds, you just pop them, expose them to the natural day photoperiod, and go from there.

With clones, you need to prevent revegetative phase from beginning again. That is accomplished via supplemental lighting, extension of daylight photoperiod, or interruption of night time photoperiod.

I am at 34.4*N @ 2,500' elevation on the western scarp of the Sierra Nevada, I get started in March with my seed starts, they go out ASAP. If they get snowed on, they get snowed on (yes, even as wee seedlings with nary a node on them). So far I've never lost one from this kind of care. What it can impact (does) is final yield, but I'm just as interested in growing lines that tolerate or prefer my local conditions as I am in a final yield.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
DiscoBiscuit
weed fiend

DiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivorDiscoBiscuit is a survivor
Quote:
seriously YORT ,
how long would you suppliment night light?
Your earliest date may vary, based on particulars. IMO, 14 hours daylight is a good rule-of-thumb.

Here's a latitude-specific day calculator, will show your earliest 14-hour day.

http://www.timeanddate.com/

My first 14-hour day is May 13th - Mrs.Babba is right on the money.

Last edited by DiscoBiscuit; 04-08-2012 at 09:17 PM..
DiscoBiscuit is offline   Quote