What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

thyroid medicine and cannabis?

who here is taking thyroid medicine and smokes cannabis while on it? Im wondering if you guys have had any ill effects or not. Im currently taking armour. I cannot find any information on interactions with cannabis. My doctor says, o its not medicine, its all natural from dessicated pig thyroids or whatever. Im like, it is a medicine, it has warning lables, and on webmds ap, there are 45 medicines with serious interactions if you mix them, about another 45 with strong interactions and about 15 with moderate interactions. so with such a long list of meds that interact with it, Im worried about what cannabis would do.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I'm not taking thyroid medicine but this appears (looked it up in google) to be a supplemental thing for underactive thyroids or for when one has had their thyroid removed. If so then it is essentially supplementing or replacing what the body produces naturally and normally and therefore should not be a problem when using cannabis otherwise everyone would have problems when smoking cannabis since everyone has a thyroid and what the thyroid produces is essential to normal body function.

well, thats exactly what I thought, but It has SERIOUS interactions with certain drugs threw pharmacology synergim or something which means its amplifies the effects of certian medications severely, but it not just moderate, there are like 45 SEVERE interactions that you CANNOT take these 2 drugs together. my doctor is like, its just an exact replacement for your body, well if thats the case then why is their severe interactions between 45 meds, and like 45 moderate medication interactions? I know this medicine comes with a warning to heart problem sufferers. and its also increases something int he heart. I forget what the medical thing its called. its not just a vitamine tho, its medication. a kid wound up in a coma for a week after taking just 2 of his mothers pills.

HempKat

Veteran
well, thats exactly what I thought, but It has SERIOUS interactions with certain drugs threw pharmacology synergim or something which means its amplifies the effects of certian medications severely, but it not just moderate, there are like 45 SEVERE interactions that you CANNOT take these 2 drugs together. my doctor is like, its just an exact replacement for your body, well if thats the case then why is their severe interactions between 45 meds, and like 45 moderate medication interactions? I know this medicine comes with a warning to heart problem sufferers. and its also increases something int he heart. I forget what the medical thing its called. its not just a vitamine tho, its medication. a kid wound up in a coma for a week after taking just 2 of his mothers pills.

Well I'm no doctor so I couldn't begin to properly address all the hows and whys of possible interactions. My guess is it's like medicines for Parkinson's patients. In Parkinson's certain glands responsible for producing the nuero transmittors responsible for communicating to the body from the brain things like movement, stops working. So what they do is give a Parkinson's Patient an artificial form of those nuero transmittoers but they don't have the ability to distribute it in the brain the way a normal healthy body would but rather it just floods the brain with these nuero transmittors. The result is that the patient can now make themselves move again but their movements are more jerky and erratic looking then normal (Like Michael J. Fox).

It's probably the same with Thyroid replacement therapy the thryroid is either not working properly or gone and so the pills give you an artificial version of what the thyroid produces. Since it's not being produced and regulated by the body though you get too much and too much of the enzymes thyroids create can affect things like heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, etc. With these body functions being out of whack it's conceivable that could alter the body's reactions to other medications.

I would suggest you just give it a try but be careful at first and pay close attention to how you're feeling. I doubt you'll find solid reassuring answers. I mean if it's fatal then nobody would be here to tell you and I don't think marijuana is understood well enough medically yet for anyone to be saying how it might interact with various medications.

thanks, I think Ill try that. YOur right I believe int hat it will never be perfect, so I notice when I am too much or too little. Its impossible to get it perfect all day long,so Im only in the "perfect range" for a short time during the day. I feel WAY better then I did before tho, thats forsure. I felt like I was dying before. smoking weed before, when my body couldent "process it" would send me into a shit storm of discomfort. Now, I belive I could benefit maybe from a small hit once a day. The medicine has made me very short fused, and Im super edgey and snappy. I have no patience for things that annoy me, and I do not like how edgey I have become. so

S

SeaMaiden

Maybe you need to consult with another physician. I'm getting the impression that yours is rather cavalier in his attitude towards your concerns.

firehound

Levothyroxin 50 mcg. daily for under active thyroid. this is the olny medication i take besides MJ. I dont feel any odd effects using both. this may not apply to you. hope you feel better soon. fh

yea, I wish their was a study done on the interaction of cannabis and T4 and T3. I just want to be safe with the 2. if It didn't have so many interactions with other medicine that are seriouse, then I would go ahead, but even if its a small ammount, I kinda want to make sure its safe. what may be fine feeling for a year or more, could, and I wouldn't want it to cause something severe one day out of the blue and be in the hospital. Unfortunately, cannabis being considered an illegal drug across most of the usa, it has not really got any testing on interactions between it and other medicines. I know cannabis is safe, but that dose not mean It could not interact severly with some medicine when combined out their. I think, with as many people who smoke cannabis, that it really needs to be one of THE most tested for interactions with other drugs. just becase alcohol is legal, isnt really fair that its tested with every drug.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
i did a quick search and it seems there are no contraindications or drug-to-drug interactions noted for marijuana. it also states there isn't much data ... not surprising since it is illegal and no drug company is footing the bill. an area that should be funded and researched, given the popularity of weed.

HempKat

Veteran
thanks, I think Ill try that. YOur right I believe int hat it will never be perfect, so I notice when I am too much or too little. Its impossible to get it perfect all day long,so Im only in the "perfect range" for a short time during the day. I feel WAY better then I did before tho, thats forsure. I felt like I was dying before. smoking weed before, when my body couldent "process it" would send me into a shit storm of discomfort. Now, I belive I could benefit maybe from a small hit once a day. The medicine has made me very short fused, and Im super edgey and snappy. I have no patience for things that annoy me, and I do not like how edgey I have become. so

Are you fairly new to marijuana? I asked because you said you felt like you were dying before when you smoked weed. That's a common experience for people new to weed who get ahold of something good and then they smoke too much. If that's the case things will get better as your tolerance improves. I really don't see this Thyroid medicine as something likely to interfere with marijuana other then maybe it might cause your body to metabalize marijuana a bit faster since this sort of treatment tends to speed people's metabolism up a bit.

yea, I wish their was a study done on the interaction of cannabis and T4 and T3. I just want to be safe with the 2. if It didn't have so many interactions with other medicine that are seriouse, then I would go ahead, but even if its a small ammount, I kinda want to make sure its safe. what may be fine feeling for a year or more, could, and I wouldn't want it to cause something severe one day out of the blue and be in the hospital. Unfortunately, cannabis being considered an illegal drug across most of the usa, it has not really got any testing on interactions between it and other medicines. I know cannabis is safe, but that dose not mean It could not interact severly with some medicine when combined out their. I think, with as many people who smoke cannabis, that it really needs to be one of THE most tested for interactions with other drugs. just becase alcohol is legal, isnt really fair that its tested with every drug.

Well it's good to be careful and to pay attention to things like possible drug interactions. Keep in mind though that virtually every drug out there has all sorts of possible interactions and side effects yet we still take them because the vast majority of people do not experience these interactions and side effects but the drug companies still have to mention them because of the possibility.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
none listed for marinol, with the same caveats (not much research) ... but marinol is an approved drug, so testing was required (especially with such a high profile drug), so that is good.

Natural

I have a thyroid disorder too, low thyroid, the doctor was worried/freaked because the levels were so low... I was put on synthroid for a few months but it would give me heart palpitations randomly and while taking it, blood work showed that it had fucked up my testosterone levels also. I went off of that and started taking an herbal supplement that is supposed to stimulate and support your thyroid, in turn producing more hormone... Feel fine now, although I am unusually warm a lot of the time and sweat more than the average person.

I never noticed any kind of reaction with any thyroid meds, prescription or not, or even when I take nothing at all for it when combined with cannabis.

S

SeaMaiden

I think the question and concern are valid also because as I recall, isn't there a researcher or data set from Israel that shows cannabis having an effect on thyroid function? I'd forgotten about that, gonna do a quick search.

Perhaps there's been more research than I thought. Google Scholar search "marijuana thyroid function."

E

elmanito

Armour contains T4 and T3 thyroid hormones and Levothyroxin contains only the inactive T4 which has to be converted into active T3.(most of the time it will not work) Cannabis can interact on the thyroid function what my own experience is, but more to regulate when you use it alone.Sativa strains are far more active what i've experienced.Hope this info helps.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
Cannabis only helps for me. Synthroid can make you have nausea and the T3 replacement Cytomel seems to help when taken with Synthroid.. I found it to take a few years for you to get use to it. And for them and You to figure out what your dose should be. Basically what makes you feel better.

well thanks guys. I dose with a split up pill for the day. so when Im feeling a little low on t3 I take another quarter of my pill. If I take it all in the morning it gives me way too much t3 my body dose not need till later in the day, when by then, it is gone. So dosing in quarters is the best for me so far.

diggdugg

Oh hell, went to the ER Monday thinking I was gonna have a damn stroke. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. They let me go saying everything was fine besides that. I feel like absolute shit. Going to my doc in the morning for the "fix" for this. I too quit smoking cigs one year ago. Last week on vacation I had a few while at the beach. Blammo! Weed tolorance is down too but I just chalked that up to good homegrown and cure.
Oxyman, do you feel WAY better with the treatment?

L

longearedfriend

i take some bladderwrack which contains iodine to help in my digestion

don't have any diagnosed thyroid problems

Latest posts

Latest posts