What's new

Dry Ice

Jeeyah

Been using dry ice and bubble bags the last few runs. I noticed the yield is great, but the quality is not near as good as using ice water. Anyone else notice this?:smokeit:

cash4life

when you buy it how much do you buy per run lets say. I have maybe 15 pounds of material to run and use the 5 gal bags. I use large freezer bag full now to a bag of ice.

mendo420

Veteran
I have noticed the same.
Nothing but broken down plant material and resin. Thus a bigger yield of poor quality dry sift.
I don't like it. The quality stinks.
Re-sifting does not work when the contaminants are the same size as your resin.

I would rather make bubble or run the Tamisium!

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
My Bubble is a bit better than my dry ice kief...but I get significantly more with dry ice...so kinda makes it worth it if'n you're selling--:)

bubbleman

Veteran
i think people are missing the point that in water extraction.. its the WATER that acts as a transfer chamber and allows you to isolate just the heads... why is this.. because everything floats while the heads sinks.. remove the water and EVERYTHING sinks.. i would say dry ice hash on average is 75% contaminant.. maybe higher.. where as bubble is generaly 90 to 98% gland heads..
check it out with a microscope.. sure you get more.. but more of what? its certainly not glandular heads..

Bubble man

C

Chamba

Been using dry ice and bubble bags the last few runs. I noticed the yield is great, but the quality is not near as good as using ice water. Anyone else notice this

It's not the dry ice as such that makes poor quality dry sift, it's the technique.
If you are aggressively shaking big chunks of dry ice inside a bag, then it's no wonder that the end result will be mostly broken up plant matter.

Yes it does, but that once again depends on technique, correct resifting will help purify your resin. Do a search through this forum for lots of excellent posts about "dry sifting" for more info on how to improve your quality.

The golden rule of dry sifting is to keep in mind that it's a lot easier not to introduce plant matter in with the resin than to try and separate it later (unless you are Sam Skunkman that is)...so if quality is your aim, then use a gentle action (at least for the first "run") and use the right size meshes (I use at least 2 sometimes 3 or 4 different size meshes when dry sifting*) to suit the material and if high yield is your aim then be more aggressive.

also keep in mind that the very low temps (from using dry ice) that are maintained during the sifting process helps the resin heads snap off, the downside is that the big rocks of dry ice (along with the wildly aggressive shaking that everyone seems to use) only helps pulverize the plant matter contaminating the resin...so try to maintain extremely low plant matter temps while using a gentle technique, start by using granules of dry ice instead of chunks and sift for a shorter duration while monitoring your sift and the plant matter with magnification as you go.

Happy Sifting.

* here's a plug for one of the ICmag's advertisers : Aqualabtech....they sell Bubbleman's Dry sifting kit (with four screen frames)...these meshes will produce pure blonde sticky goodness that will zap your mind...nothing beats the buzz from high quality dry sift

http://aqualabtechnologies.com/medi...reens/bubble-bags-dry-sifting-screen-set.html

Last edited:

Jeeyah

Thanks guys! I noticed the 70 micron bubble seemed much much better. I'll do some research on dry sifting. I knew there had to be a reason why the yield was soooo much higher. lol

I pack bowl after bowl of this kief stuff. I let a friend hit the 70 bubble one time and I started to worry if he was going to be ok. He could not stop coughing.

C

Chamba

It was so nice you posted it thrice!

It would be nice to be able to blame that on the triple sifted dry ice...but I haven't had a smoke in a over a month.....so I'll blame it on those cheeky cyber monkeys that keep phucking with me.

mendo420

Veteran

Yes it does, but that once again depends on technique, correct resifting will help purify your resin. Do a search through this forum for lots of excellent posts about "dry sifting" for more info on how to improve your quality.

I have tried resifting with little success.

Care to enlighten us on this re-sifting technique?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i think people are missing the point that in water extraction.. its the WATER that acts as a transfer chamber and allows you to isolate just the heads... why is this.. because everything floats while the heads sinks.. remove the water and EVERYTHING sinks.. i would say dry ice hash on average is 75% contaminant.. maybe higher.. where as bubble is generaly 90 to 98% gland heads..
check it out with a microscope.. sure you get more.. but more of what? its certainly not glandular heads..
Bubble man

yo bubbleman... i got your bags, as well as another brand.. i have tried the dry ice method twice.. and all i can say that if there is a diff between water and dry ice.... i can't tell the diff...

the only diff is... the ease of dry ice sifting...

C

Chamba

I have tried resifting with little success.

Care to enlighten us on this re-sifting technique?

It really would be best if you spent a few hours per day for a week or so and scrolled down this forum and read up on past threads about dry sifting. You will read lots of excellent posts from experienced dry sifters and you will gain many helpful hints about various ways to re-sift for purity as well as learn a great deal in general about how to sift (from how best to handle your live plants to storing your sift)..I'm sure if will be time well spent.