What's new

70w - HPS - A Full Spectrum Search

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Hey All,

I am currently using a HPS light for my ladies which was converted from a Lowes' Security Lamp that was on clearance for $6.79.

After reading about Agent-Smith's grows & DOC's Thread using Gavitia lights and reading Gavita's marketing liturature and SunPulse Lamps Whitepapers, i am convinced that to get max quality plants, i need a broader spectrum of lights.

I have considered the following options in this order!:

Seeking Help finding a Suitable 70W Horticulture HPS

:artist:
Any Suggestions?
Budelight

:thank you:

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
i would use the 300W CFL - (68W) Soft White 2700K (Have) and buy good blue or red l.e.d.'s, they would be better for flowering. the problem with hps is that they are less intense when compared to the sun, redder would be better.

NFD

BeL I have pretty much the same homemade light you are describing, only from home depot. I haven't been using it lately, but it is an excellent veg light, i've never used it for flower, but i bet it would do a good job for you. adding an led like jammer said would add a lot of output per watt. I am using a 600w led now for flower and they love the low temps and bright light.

Let me save you a lot of searching (I literally scoured the entire net to find this deal!)
http://www.juliusstudio.com/shop/in...-bulbs-for-photo-studio-light-lighting-1.html
http://www.juliusstudio.com/shop/in...ulbs-for-photo-studio-light-lighting-5ps.html

Since your HPS peaks in the red spectrum those 2700k cfl's wouldn't really help enhance your color spectrum, but they would help in the sense that it's more lumens.

Look into the use of UV-B lighting to increase trichome production as well. I have read about people using reptile lights for this with supposedly awesome results.

asde²

change your hps to a good 70 cmh kit (like philips cdm 930 + philips primavision)
and you will get a full spectrum light and +50% yield

Woah are you sure on the 50% increase in yield there man? Seems a little outlandish to me... but I could be wrong.

From what I've read CMH will if anything decrease yields a bit but increase the quality due to the increased spectrum (specifically in the UV range). But I don't have any first hand experience with them so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Don't know if this is allowed or whatever (if it isn't I'll gladly edit my post) but I've got a 150w GE pulse start metal halide ballast I'd let go for cheap that would allow you to get into the CMH world!

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
i think that a lot of people go for bluer white bulbs, and those spectrums can be found as prevalent in red\purple bulbs, and just as intense.

glance at a bulb and when u look away there's a redish orange burn blurb thats radiating blue.

budelight

Veteran
Blue is the inverse of red in our color spectrum.

Stare at an inverted colored American Flag for 60 seconds, then look at a white wall & blink very fast. Now you can see the opposite.

Learned that in middle school :)
Budelight

Attachments

• US_flag_inverted.jpg
    US_flag_inverted.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 13

asde²

What is the estimated cost on this kit + Light?

if you DIY the reflector(install socket base) you can easily get it for less than 100 bucks (Philips HID-PV Ballast / Philips CDM-T 930 Elite / G12 Socket /(cables and stuff))

From what I've read CMH will if anything decrease yields a bit

this is when comparing a 400w hps to a 400w cmh retro white, its a different thing when talking about 70w hps against a 70w cdm 930 - also it would be a different thing when comparing a 400w hps against a 315 cdm-tmw per watt but thats another story..

70w hps is a very inefficient light source, its efficiency is around 20% which means it emits <15W of light - 70w cmh efficiency is around 35-40% (depending on brand and color temperature) which means it emits ~25W of light (~70% more light)

so with "+50% yield" i seem to be save, no?

I've got a 150w GE pulse start metal halide ballast I'd let go for cheap that would allow you to get into the CMH world!
for top tier cmh we absolutely want to use electronic ballasts

budelight

Veteran
Thank you both asde² and StoopheadFred:

Since i am trying to keep all the costs down right now i will use my CFL if i cannot get a cmh with relative ease.

Ciao!
Budelight

Hey learn something new every day! Thanks for the info man, those bulbs weren't even on my radar haha.

The GE ballast I've got is electronic. Product # is GEMH150SLJMV. You clearly know your way around the bulb world... not to hijack bude's thread or anything but is there any chance you could point my in the direction of some interesting bulbs for this ballast?