What's new

Regulate Marijuana Like Wine CA 2012

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Major Funders Awaiting Results of RMLW Poll

I receive updates from the commitie and found this interesting. If the poll goes well it should convince some new contributors to come on-board. It will also provide a current realistic idea of how much support the initiative really has, how our voting public feels.

I personally don't see much talk or interest in this on our forum, that baffles me? I'd love to see more debate. I'm an old timer who doesn't like the idea of being regulated yet this seems to be the best shot at legalizing I've seen. Be well.. DD

http://regulatemarijuanalikewine.com/major-funders-awaiting-results-of-rmlw-poll/

by RMLWFieldCoordon January 23, 2012
Last Friday, the Committee to Regulate Marijuana Like Wine signed a contract with Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates (FM3) to conduct a poll of our initiative. On Tuesday, January 31st, this campaign will be releasing the results of that poll. If our initiative polls anywhere above 55%, it will be big news for media and for major donors who are awaiting the results.

That's right, for the first time in this campaign, we have the attention of several major donors. These funders, and their representatives, are patiently waiting to see if an upcoming poll of our initiative will show if we can actually win.
In addition to their critical work for the Prop. 215 campaign, FM3 has provided research and strategic consulting services for ballot measure efforts to reform drug laws in Arizona, Colorado, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, Washington State, and the District of Columbia as well as the local level. Also, it was FM3 that first advised us about a poll by the Economist magazine that showed 62% support for regulating marijuana like alcohol, which we used to base our initiative. We believe this approach will give us much higher polling numbers than anyone is expecting.

As a result of their prior work, we believe FM3 knows how best to examine voters’ willingness to reform governmental regulation of marijuana, and which messages have been most effective in convincing voters to support such initiatives. Furthermore, their past research on drug policy and regulatory reform means they can work quickly and efficiently on our behalf to design the questionnaire, and provide us with results and strategic recommendations in a timely manner.

FM3 will work closely with us to develop the survey instrument. They foresee proceeding through several drafts of the survey, incorporating feedback before each revision so that the research identifies all pertinent issues in order to provide a strategic roadmap for the development of public communications and to guide campaign activities.

The survey will be designed to fully explore voter attitudes toward changing the regulation of marijuana, which will likely include:

Assessing voter response to the general concept of an ballot initiative to regulate marijuana in a manner equivalent to wine;

Determining voters’ key concerns about the proposal to change the regulation of marijuana;
· Testing support and opposition to a ballot label title and summary statement;
· Gauging reaction to the specific components and features of the initiative;

· Evaluating the impact of messages for and against the initiative; and
· Identifying the demographic profile of ballot initiative supporters, opponents and swing voters.

FM3 will be conducting a telephone-based survey of randomly selected registered California voters likely to cast a ballot in the November 2012 Presidential Election. Their experience indicates a questionnaire takes the average respondent 15 minutes to complete over the phone, which is necessary to effectively assess the feasibility of a statewide ballot measure.

FM3 has agreed upon a sample size of 800 voters, which reduces the survey’s margin of error to +/3.5% at the 95% confidence level and yields larger sample sizes across voter populations subgroups, thus allowing for a greater analysis of results and detailed recommendations.

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

I'm interested, but at this very moment I'm working to fight our county's total ban on outdoor cultivation, which has been extended through November 2012. I would love to shake some locals out of the trees here, I know there are more than myself in Amador, but so far it's mostly been Calaveras folks who care enough to show up.

Madhemp

I"m with you Maiden. El Dorado's County has banned outdoor growing until 11/12 as well. Basically, I'm fucked unless there is a change within the next couple months.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck with your fight there SeaMaiden. I hope you get some support, there's got to be some peeps around there that care. There are a lot of counties contemplating the same thing. DD

S

SeaMaiden

I"m with you Maiden. El Dorado's County has banned outdoor growing until 11/12 as well. Basically, I'm fucked unless there is a change within the next couple months.
It's interesting you bring up El Dorado county. Our county BoS knows how the current ordinance is structured, and as I understand it, anything under a 10'x20' area is not banned. In other words, you can grow OD, but you're limited to a space no larger than 200'sq. Our county BoS? Even though they discussed that as an option, had/have no plan whatsoever to make any allowance, not even for a single square foot.

Doobie, I apologize for hijacking the thread. Should this make it to the ballot (RMLW), I'll likely be supporting it because I take no issue and have absolutely no quarrel with folks who only use cannabis recreationally. I've started a thread specific to my issue here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=229742

Mr Pink

It looks very structured, and sounds like a professional way to approach the problem.

And there's this bit of a paradox that I like, as public opinion research and strategy agencies are a product of the same system that currently bans cannabis. They emerged as protuberances of it, and have been largely used by it (in their incarnations as government agencies) in order to fight cannabis before. The wheel never stops spinning...

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck with your fight there SeaMaiden. I hope you get some support, there's got to be some peeps around there that care. There are a lot of counties contemplating the same thing. DD

Seems to me since the Cartels were already in California to begin with this legalization thing out there has got to be like the wild west.

All they gotta do now is get a legal relative to get a license and then they can hide behind the law correct? If this was true and once it spread would the violence be far behind?

Now understand I only ask this because I don't know the situation in the streets of Cali but I know first hand how Cartels work and they usually get what they want they have more money and power than folks wanna admit. If you are an asset and screw up it's your friends and family that suffer not you,for you will have you purpose when they see fit.

So I guess what I'm asking is when this legelazation started years ago in the counties that were MJ friendly and a guy with a load of cash can buy some land and build a big ass HORSE BARN lol did the violence soon follow and the leaders of these community's decide the extra money was not worth the hastle?

Either way it's to late,as we speak roots are set and money is being made and NOBODY will ever give that up without a fight and we are seriously outnumbered.

Had To Ask
Mr.Wags

S

SeaMaiden

The issues we have in this county are truly specific to the commercial and cartel grows, which occur, according to our under-sheriff, primarily on public lands rather than privately owned. The folks who actually purchase a piece of property rarely present much of a problem to law enforcement. The issue our BoS seems to be taking is with collective/cooperative grows, because that's what they keep talking about and whenever anyone else mentions those grows their heads are nodding furiously. And, again, the folks who engage in those sorts of grows will *not* be affected by this new zoning ordinance.

I'm not so sure we're outnumbered. We are paranoid, absolutely.

More violence in this state seems to be associated with meth labs in the past. I could suggest that it's the news reporting that paints a picture of increased violence associated with folks operating legally, but I can't say it's a fact.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The issues we have in this county are truly specific to the commercial and cartel grows, which occur, according to our under-sheriff, primarily on public lands rather than privately owned. The folks who actually purchase a piece of property rarely present much of a problem to law enforcement. The issue our BoS seems to be taking is with collective/cooperative grows, because that's what they keep talking about and whenever anyone else mentions those grows their heads are nodding furiously. And, again, the folks who engage in those sorts of grows will *not* be affected by this new zoning ordinance.

I'm not so sure we're outnumbered. We are paranoid, absolutely.

More violence in this state seems to be associated with meth labs in the past. I could suggest that it's the news reporting that paints a picture of increased violence associated with folks operating legally, but I can't say it's a fact.

TY for the answers and understanding that I was simply asking a question. What your saying does make sense and to appreciate your input for I do worry for you Cali folks.

Be Well
Wags

S

SeaMaiden

My pleasure, mrwags. I worry, too, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heard the refrain, "So goes California, so goes the rest of the nation." If California is becoming more restrictive, we've got us burgeoning problem here.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i work in the wine industry and i have to say its the best model for the cannabis business. everyone from a small vineyard on 5 acres to the mega vineyards can compete, there are larger brands that buy up local vineyard harvests and sell under their blend..there is no yearly special "sin" tax for growing grapes and hopefully not for cannabis either...

i support the RMLW act hope it works...

Bullfrog44

Veteran
My brother works for a large alcohol distributor and I think the same as Yes4Prop215, it might be the best way to get cannabis legal. I would vote for it also.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for proclaiming your support...

Thanks for proclaiming your support...

...i support the RMLW act hope it works...

.... I would vote for it also.

Thanks you guys for stating your support for this. It seems to be a huge step for members of our community to publically speak out in support. That type support is needed if this is to pass.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I'm always hesitant to do the same thing, it puts us at odds with our brothers and sisters here and can cause bad feelings in close friendships that take a lot of time to mend.
<o:p></o:p>
I stated before I'm against regulation, but this is the most sensible I've seen. This a great first step in getting cannabis legalized worldwide. If anyone thinks the Feds will just do that someday on thier own then I wish you well and hope that happens....
<o:p></o:p>
I hope everyone understands my supporting and promoting this..thanks DD<o:p></o:p>

S

SeaMaiden

I personally don't find the concept of medical use (of cannabis) and recreational use to be mutually exclusive. There are, to be sure, plenty of others who do, but I'm not one of them. I understand why you're supporting this, and I support your support! As I mentioned earlier, it appears to be a good piece of legislation which would simply build on pre-existing, rather than creating a new swamp of legislation, should we simply decide to regulate it just like wine.

Madhemp

Doobie Your courage is commendable and appriciated! Keep up the good work!

(you too Maiden!)

The journey of a thousand miles begins with as single step. As you said, the "man" is not going to suddenly see the light and admit they have been wrong all along. As much as I like to laugh at conspiracy theorists too many of our elected officials have changed their stance after being elected for me to believe there is not big money keeping cannabis illeagal. Any work towards leagalization is good work!

MH

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are results from the poll:
from market watch...
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/po...want-marijuana-regulated-like-wine-2012-02-01

Poll Reveals 62% of California Voters Want Marijuana Regulated Like Wine

LOS ANGELES, Feb 01, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- A recent poll reveals that California voters, by a 62% to 35% margin, with 3% unsure, support a ballot initiative to regulate marijuana like wine.

The statewide poll, by Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates, Inc. surveyed 800 likely voters and found that 80% of the respondents agreed to the statement, "State and federal drug laws are outdated and have failed, therefore, we need to take a new approach that makes sense for today."

Voters in California will have an opportunity to take that new approach this November with the Regulate Marijuana Like Wine Act of 2012 (RMLW), which will allow the state to regulate and tax marijuana and hemp.

The California Attorney General has projected "savings of potentially several tens of millions of dollars annually to state and local governments of the costs of incarcerating and supervising certain marijuana offenders," as well as potentially generating "hundreds of millions of dollars in net additional tax revenues related to the production and sale of marijuana products."

Likely voters also agree (by a margin of 71% to 24%) that state and local law enforcement agencies spend too much time, money and resources enforcing marijuana laws.

RMLW Treasurer and Congressional Candidate (CA-33rd) Steve Collett hailed the poll results as evidence of widespread support for ending marijuana prohibition in California and nationwide. "There is no policy that is more discriminatory or wastes more tax dollars. This initiative helps farmers, reduces prison overcrowding, relieves burdens on the courts, generates revenues for the state, and frees up police to work on real crimes."

Jack Cole, co-founder of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, a 50,000 member organization of police, prosecutors, judges, and supporters, said, "LEAP believes the citizens of California are far ahead of the federal government in assessing a policy that will reduce death, disease, crime, and corruption, when they register 62% support for the initiative Regulate Marijuana Like Wine."

www.regulatemarijuanalikewine.com Regulate Marijuana Like Wine Act (2012) -- A California Voter Initiative CA STATE CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER 136887

S

SeaMaiden

I'd like to announce that Collective Patient Resources has decided to openly support RMLW and Repeal Cannabis Prohibition Act, both California state initiatives. CPR previously eschewed openly supporting anything that wasn't directly in line with MMJ use, but the current political climate has caused the director and board to shift the paradigm a bit, we want the most open, free atmosphere with regard to cannabis that we can create. Once we have a website up and running I'll be requesting to add the link to my sig line.

I spent most of the day yesterday reading through ASAs site and beginning to craft our complaint to the civil grand jury. ASA has a great workbook on getting a grass roots movement going, with very detailed instructions on how to strategize. RMLW has got great minds behind it, and so we of CPR are wholeheartedly on board.

Latest posts

Latest posts