What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Study On Pre Flowers

Many years ago, I was asked by newbies how to sex their plants. So here it is again.

All plants will pre sex around 6 - 10 weeks from seed. Since I grow indicas, mine pre sex closer to 6 weeks. But all plants will pre sex. One just needs to allow them to grow out and look for their signs.

Below are several pictures of each stage, both male and female.

A male plant will send out what looks like a round spear shape. At around 7 days, it will turn into a noticable ball shape. Just before the ball shape forms, the caylex will open wide allowing the male flower to firm.

A female plant will send out what looks like a spear shape, long and slender. At around 7 days, it will become a very obvious spear. At around 10 -14 days, the hairs will start to poke out. the caylex on female flowers do not open wide, they remain tight against the flower.

Picture 1 = Aurora Indica male.
Picture 2 - 4 = male pre flower.
Picture 5 - 9 = female pre flowers.

Attachments

• Aurora_Indica_pre_male_flower.jpg
    Aurora_Indica_pre_male_flower.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 12
  • male_pre_flower.jpg
    male_pre_flower.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 14
  • male_pre_flower_b.jpg
    male_pre_flower_b.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 12
  • male_pre_flower_d.jpg
    male_pre_flower_d.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
  • female_pre_flower_b.jpg
    female_pre_flower_b.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 12
  • female_flower_with_hairs.jpg
    female_flower_with_hairs.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11
  • female_flower_with_hairs_b.jpg
    female_flower_with_hairs_b.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
  • female_flower_with_hairs_c.jpg
    female_flower_with_hairs_c.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 13
  • female_pre_flower_with_hairs_b.jpg
    female_pre_flower_with_hairs_b.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Roughly at how many nodes do Indicas and also Sativas show presex? I'm still waiting on some Sativas to show presex. Exciting as I never know what I am going to get. Right now I hold my breath in anticipation every morning when I inspect the grow.

depends on the plant and strain and vigor and your patience. some wont show any signs of "pre-flowers" until they are flowered out or well into their life (10++weeks) under some circumstances.

great shots of the preflowers and descriptions to go with them Grow Rite. this should be stickied for the newcomers to the hobby. also would answer alot of the "is this a preflower??and male or female??" questions.

T

Toes.

Here's an example of both on the same plant. It's the reason why a grower would need to learn how to spot them early.... yet still keep the same vigilant eye throughout the duration.

picture.php

Roughly at how many nodes do Indicas and also Sativas show presex? I'm still waiting on some Sativas to show presex. Exciting as I never know what I am going to get. Right now I hold my breath in anticipation every morning when I inspect the grow.

i have some seeds at about 7 days. i will count for ya!

diebold

Good pics.. there needs to be better science on this. 30+ years and it's still almost a black magic art to sex plants.

SCIENCE MUST PREVAIL!

elpibe

is it 'pre' yet?

is it 'pre' yet?

I heard that if you force flowering before the plant preflowers, you can turn it into a hermie.
now how can I tell?
If the plant is 2 months old from seed, is it posible for it to be too early?
can i upload a pic, and you guys will tell me?