What's new

250 watt Grapefruit SCROG from seed

HobbyGrower

Greetings everyone! I'm back and with some upgrades. This is my 3rd grow, second SCROG, all from seed. My first SCROG was Widowrella from seed and I'm currently enjoying her at 3+ weeks cure.

My first grow was with Emily's Garden and a 150 watt hps, which I've since ditched for my own method of DWC. 3.5 gallon buckets, homemade net lids, a 2 valve air pump (one for each bucket), 4-inch air stones pumping lots of O2, 250 watt MH/HPS cool tube, 4" Phat Filter, a 165 CFM 4" inline fan with variable speed controller, and a 6" clip-on oscillating fan.

I'm using AN's Sensi grow/bloom 2-part, along with Big Bud, Bud Candy, and Super thrive. Keeping it very simple.

In this grow I have sprouted a single female Grapefruit from Female seeds and two super low quality schwag seeds from mexican brick. Obviously I don't know if either is female. If neither is, that's fine, I can focus on really growing out Grapefruit. If I get one female, then I'll get to see what this properly grown landrace should taste like. I can tell you already they both schwag seeds smell to high heaven.

After this grow, Tangerine Dream from Barney's Farm.

Pictures will be up shortly as I'm already 3+ weeks into veg and very close to flowering. Enjoy the ride!

:artist:

DeoXy

coolbeans.. can't wait to see some pics!.. should be an intresting one to follow:tiphat:

would you share a pic of the widowrella @ 3 weeks cure?.. would love to see how she looks, I have a dieselrella(DGS) which is towards the end of flower in my garden atm :dance013:

HobbyGrower

Pictures as promised

Pictures as promised

A bit of tip burn, but only on the oldest growth.

Leaf cupping from the high heat of the 150 watt hps. It stays mid-70s in the tent now.

Notice the stripes on the schwagseed stalk.

Leaf curling down, not sure if it's wind-induced or from old hot lamp.

Short, bushy, gorgeous female Grapefruit.

From left to right: Grapefruit, Schwagseed 1, Schwagseed 2.

Bushy Grapefruit making a run for the screen.

The whole setup.

HobbyGrower

widowrella

widowrella

Widowrella from Female Seeds. Dried and cured 3+ weeks.

This one was taken in late flower, just before a 2 week flush.

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
first i say ..shit..the widowrella nuggs look'n dank. man!!
your current project sound interesting, healthy green plant that promise really good!!
the leaves curl...i get the same in winter for the cold temps but only in the veg. stage then in flow when start stretching the new leaves grow normal, so also your maybe ..what temps you have inside???

HobbyGrower

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Today is transition day. The timer has been set to 11 on/13 off. I beleive this induces flowering on some strains that might be picky. With this schwagseed, there's no tellin. The metal halide will stay in for 1 week on 11/13 and the nutes are now 3/4 strength veg nutes.

Next Friday will be the first full week of flower and I'll switch to 12/12, HPS, and flower nutes which will include Bud Candy weeks 1-6 and Big Bud weeks 2-4.

When you're scrogging from seed and you don't have any experience with the strain you must watch your grow very carefully. The schwagseeds are very stretchy but appear to be indica by the size and shape of their leaves. Schwagseed 2 was topped to keep him/her short. There's no need to fully veg these plants especially when you don't know the sex and might have to throw them out.

I've read that Grapefruit really stretches in flower (like triples) and some even suggest going 12/12 from seed on this semi-autoflower strain. Today is 28 days from sow. Even if both schwagseeds are males, we can count on the grapefruit filling out the screen very nicely.

Narrative to the pictures:

In the first pic, grapefruit's leaves are strong and healthy.

In pic 2, schwagseed's leaves are curled, twisted, and otherwise deformed. Bad genetics. It's like watching a really gorgeous female grow up next to these two ugly ass babies.

Pic 3-5, You can see where schwagseed 2 was topped and the striping on the stalk persists. Also note that at 29 days from sow there is alternate branching occurring... but who would clone this crappy looking plant?

HobbyGrower

Mid-transition update

Mid-transition update

No sex from either of the schwagseeds. However, something is happening but it's too early to be excited. :dance013:

Schwagseed #2, the one in the bucket on the right, smells like coffee! It is indeed a very lovely smell. Schwagseed #1, the one in the Ozarka jug smells like citrus: orange and lime. The grapefruit, of course, has that soft smell of grapefruit and a touch of pineapple. Amazing smells this cycle.

I raised the screen about 2 inches (to about 10.5 inches) and, instead of relying on the screen to hold the growth back, I tied down the grapefruit and the schwagseed #2.

And now for some pictures. Captions are below the pic. Enjoy.

gf-trans049.jpg

A shot of the grown tent.

gf-trans046.jpg

From left to right, Grapefruit, Schwagseed #1, Schwagseed #2

gf-trans025.jpg

Full shot of Grapefruit. She is very bushy and healthy.

gf-trans026.jpg

Full shot of Schwagseed #2. Super branchy and stretchy. Smells like coffee.

gf-trans022.jpg

Too early too tell. Still, I'll be watching these very carefully.

gf-trans037.jpg

result from fimming

gf-trans029.jpg

Magic beginning to happen.

:wave:

HobbyGrower

i fucking love weed! i just bought a random batch of Jack Herer from my local hook-up that usually supplies my schwag.

This Jack had no taste, extremely bland, but I'm sitting here on my first bowl and oh my effing god, dude.... i love this high. it's amazing, i just had to share it with someone. The high is extremely complex... I'm stoned as fuck but speeding my ass off. Does that make sense?

I want to grow Jack and would appreciate recommendations on a breeder. Money is not an issue. I want good, pure, original jack, but don't really know where to start.

On a grow note, in a few days I'll switch to the HPS bulb and really start things cooking. I'm not fimming or topping the grapefruit until I know the sex of the schwagseed. That way, if both are males, I'll let my grapefruit fill the entire tent to see what kind of production I can get from 1 plant and the 250.

peace, love, and positive energy sent to your grow.

HobbyGrower

grow note...

grow note...

ok, sorry for the high rant. just a quick note.

received my countertop RO water filtration system. Works great. :dance013: Water starts off at about 15 ppm and some of that is the calcium and magnesium that gets added through the process. No more buying distilled water, thank god! :jump:

happy growing! :blowbubbles:

LokiLoki

i fucking love weed! i just bought a random batch of Jack Herer from my local hook-up that usually supplies my schwag.

This Jack had no taste, extremely bland, but I'm sitting here on my first bowl and oh my effing god, dude.... i love this high. it's amazing, i just had to share it with someone. The high is extremely complex... I'm stoned as fuck but speeding my ass off. Does that make sense?

I want to grow Jack and would appreciate recommendations on a breeder. Money is not an issue. I want good, pure, original jack, but don't really know where to start.

On a grow note, in a few days I'll switch to the HPS bulb and really start things cooking. I'm not fimming or topping the grapefruit until I know the sex of the schwagseed. That way, if both are males, I'll let my grapefruit fill the entire tent to see what kind of production I can get from 1 plant and the 250.

peace, love, and positive energy sent to your grow.

Amen brother, i fucking love that jack herrer strain! Love the stone, such a relaxing effect.

I have a friend thats crazy about jack herrer, gonna see where he gets the seed from, they are really top quality!

Gotta run, take care!

sneaky101

One suggestion/question. Why not move the grapefruit to the middle where the best light is? May not matter too much, just figured if the femmed seed was purchased it should be better than schwag seed. Looking good though, good luck!

HobbyGrower

One suggestion/question. Why not move the grapefruit to the middle where the best light is? May not matter too much, just figured if the femmed seed was purchased it should be better than schwag seed. Looking good though, good luck!

Good call, sneaky!

The GF genetics are far superior as we can see already. She also stretches in flower enough to fill the screen all by herself.

Neither schwagseed has shown sex yet but both have been fimmed to keep them short. The goal is to end up with 2 plants in the tent, not 3 -- the GF, and 1 female schwagseed (hopefully).

If I wind up with 2 female schwagseeds, my favorite will be kept and the other tossed, and the GF will get fimmed just before stretch ends so I can control her length. Basically filing the screen with the two plants. net result - 1 grapefruit, 1 schwagseed (gotta find a better name).

If I wind up with 0 female schwageeds, they will both get pulled and the GF will NOT get fimmed, just supercropped. net result - 1 big ass female grapefruit.

There's a method to my madness! :artist:
Totally appreciate your suggestion and if things work out, GF might be in the middle after all.

Also... Marijuan Seeds. NL (where i get most of my stock) is having a pretty decent sale on all kinds of strains.