What's new

Air Con or Extraction/Intake etc?

S

speedemon

Hi all,

How do you bypass the on/off switch on my air con unit, so it comes on with the lights? pics at the bottom of the page :)

I am currently running a sealed room but using a 6" intake and a 8" out take through a c/f and at night I run a smaller 5" extraction and the 6" intake but have set the 5" out take to run at a higher speed to keep the negative pressure. The air cooled shades have there own cold feed through lights and out. But I also have a 12k btu portable aircon unit that I originally bought for the bedroom but no longer use it, so I was thinking what about if I did away with the 8" extraction and carbon filter,and used the aircon unit in the grow room instead which should stabilize temps better through lights on, then at night time for noise reasons set keep the 5" extraction and the 6" intake running?

Will the air con unit chuck out smelly hot air from the grow room and blow it outside?

Would doing all this improve overall yeild and make the running of the a/c unit worth it, as I do not want to go down this root if not.

Cheers for any advice on this peeps :) :ying:

Dr. D

Veteran
Personally i prefer fresh air and yeh i think the smell would get out.
Air con units suck up a lot of electric too...Peace

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
I think bigger yields can be achieved pal but you gotta fully seal that room up no in no out put filter on floor with a metal 45 bend on it that will clean the air of smell and double up as circulation too get some co2 unit and your good to go also you can run higher temps with co2 from what ive read they seem to do better with high temps and co2 theres your increased yield pal you will have less fans to run too the air con can be set higher and will keep it at a constant temp

anyone chime in if i got this wrong but thats how i see it from what research ive been doing

peace

S

speedemon

Cheers for the replies guys :) Hey roll it I will be getting a c02 system as part of new room layout but what do you mean about: "put filter on floor with a metal 45 bend on it"?

I have now thought about this and I will run the out take from the aircon into the room that the room is built within so a light smell does not matter. I think I have sussed it now but we will see when I come back with my newest room pictures in bud and the final weight :)

theherbalizor

Veteran
A single hose aircon will extract the air from the room, super heat it and the exhaust super smelly air out of the hose. I talk from experience.

The only wayto safely use a single hose aircon is to cool the air in the room next to the grrow Nd intake from that cool room. This way no smell is being passed through the aircon.

S

speedemon

A single hose aircon will extract the air from the room, super heat it and the exhaust super smelly air out of the hose. I talk from experience.

The only wayto safely use a single hose aircon is to cool the air in the room next to the grrow Nd intake from that cool room. This way no smell is being passed through the aircon.

Cheers mate on the back of my a/c I have 2 outlets one is to extract the air and the other is to intake the air, so do you mean run a hose from the external room into the a/c unit then run another hose back into the external room for the out take? So it sucks in cool air from external room and also blows out the waste air smell free? The air con unit I have is a Challenge 414/0021 12k btu http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/air-conditioning/unbranded-12k-btu-portable-air-conditioner.asp

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
Hi pal sorry to confuse you what i meant was take ducting away from your carbon filter and leave it on blowing around your room to rid the smells you could then attach some metal rigid ducting if you wanted to direct it in a different direction use a 45 fitting or a y piece hth

if your gunna aircool those lights like you are now you dhould be able to get away with ac well thats what i think pal have a read around im sure i read somewhere that higher temps make the plants use more co2 and that helps the yield but i dont know the max temp when running co2 tho pal but im sure you will find it on here somewhere

peace

S

speedemon

I just had a better idea as I just said my a/c unit has an intake and an out take so can I just run 4" duct from a high mounted carbon filter in the room to the a/c unit then just run the out take hose to outside as normal then there will be no smells? That way the a/c unit still extracts filtered hot air from the room to out side like my poor paint diagram below roughly shows :)
Hey roll it yeah I know you can run higher temps with c02 but have also read that with lower temps using c02 you get better results, so I still want the room to run at 27 Celsius with c02 unless somebody more experienced can say otherwise?

S

speedemon

theherbalizor

Veteran
I was going to suggest just running the air intake from the ac from a fresh air source as you will get no smell as yours is what's called a split hose unit. One of the good ones.

But the problem with this is you will cause a positive pressure in the room, so your idea of running the intake through a carbon in the room is the best idea. I would perhaps even run it through a 6 inch carbon as those ac fans can be quite powerful.

S

speedemon

I was going to suggest just running the air intake from the ac from a fresh air source as you will get no smell as yours is what's called a split hose unit. One of the good ones.

But the problem with this is you will cause a positive pressure in the room, so your idea of running the intake through a carbon in the room is the best idea. I would perhaps even run it through a 6 inch carbon as those ac fans can be quite powerful.

Your a fooking star mate I have a spare 8" rhino that will do perfectly should be no restriction for sure then. :thank you::tiphat::ying:

S

speedemon

Bypassing ON/OFF switch

Bypassing ON/OFF switch

Glad I posted this thread a while ago, as need some more help from any one who might know how to bypass the on/off switch on this model Air con? As I really need it to come on with the lights and go out with the lights. I know another member on a another forum called Greenscience once did it and it worked well. Here are the wiring diagram pictures, and pictures of the circuit board with the on/off micro switch.

All help appreciated as always.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
just run it on a timer with your lights mate and just leave the switch in the on position

I've got a 3 light timer for my lights so you should be able to run ac off it too

peace and vibes

T

TribalSeeds

I wouldnt restrict the intake air of the AC with a filter. It will run hotter ans less efficient, plus it might burn up

S

speedemon

just run it on a timer with your lights mate and just leave the switch in the on position

I've got a 3 light timer for my lights so you should be able to run ac off it too

peace and vibes

Hey Bro, I thought it would be as easy as just taping the micro switch down on the on position constantly and sticking it on a timer, but it just made a lot of beeping then would not come on lol until I reset it by turning it off at the wall then back on again.

I have decided to just use the remote each morning and evening to switch it on and off.

I bin thinkin about startin a thread on this

They always come about in hot weather these threads lol.

I wouldnt restrict the intake air of the AC with a filter. It will run hotter ans less efficient, plus it might burn up

Cheers for the input mate, how would you reduce the smell that comes out then? What if I use a 6" Rhino that can handle more air and should not restrict it?

theherbalizor

Veteran
Yes my old aircon will not run auto unless I was to rewire it.

I can not recommend enough that you use the air con to cool the area outside the grow and pull air from there. That way the aircon is not on full pelt as it would be if under lights and you will not get the smell problem.

I used my aircon for the first time yesterday in 2/3 years. It was 39 deg in my bedroom / grow area before lights on. So flicked on the air con for an hour and it was down to 16 deg. Lights came on at 10 pm and temps rose in the tent to 32 deg. I am happy at that temp, plants grow well. Infact I find I do better in the summer so long as this searing heat is not at or around harvest.