What's new

Need Opinion From LED Experts.

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
This is a fairly new light that's out and I am thinking about giving it a try. Just wanted to get some honest opinions on this based on the specs. According to the sales rep, it is supposed to put out a wide array of light spectrum such as Green/Purple/Infrared/UV/White that will give different results in bloom than of other LEDs. Please give me your 2 cents. :tiphat:

picture.php

2. Full spectrum for the plant from 430nm -730nm
3. Special design for water drops.
4. Dual LED driver double power supply life.
5. Two switches allow adjust brightness.
6. Automatically turn fans on or off based on temperature
7. Higher Par (photosynthetically Active Radiation) value.

Specification:
Model No nutrilite504 LUX(1feet): 20000 LED Qty 252x2W LUX(3feet) 3670 Input voltage 100-240VAC Par(umol/sM) 1feet 1202 Wavelength 430-730nm Par(umol/sM)3feet 470 Packing Size 820x350x200 Product size 750x280x112mm Gross Weight 12Kg Moveable plug Optional warranty 3 years Hook: Included
Retail price:
$1160/each

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
i'd like to see the exact distribution and quantity of the LED nm's being used...

A

ak-51

I am immediately suspicious. This is why:

1. Will not replace 1600-2000 watts of equivalent lighting from HPS. They just made up this number.
2. Will not cover 65-98 square feet. You cannot run it 4-5 feet from plants and hope for anything resembling yield. They definitely made up this number.
3. It looks like 95% of other LED lights made in China. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's obvious that they just slightly tweaked an already present design, at least on the exterior.

Also I think 50,000 hours is kind of the theoretical lifetime of LED diodes. The rest of the parts will have different, and likely shorter life expectancies. You'll see that number on pretty much every LED manufacturers literature though.

If I were looking for another LED light right now I would look for a lot of people on these forums using it and reporting positively. The only one I think that fits that description right now is the LumiGrow line. There are enough people using them here that I would be comfortable buying one. I wouldn't buy any unless another user here could recommend it. Also consider building your own. There's a bunch of good info on building your own here and there's more and more info every day.

Without more info on the bin of LEDs and the quality and size of the heatsink(s) it's tough to say if this is a good light.

It's most likely no different than 90% of the other stuff on the market, made in China from a only a few different suppliers. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I would want high efficiency bins and a well designed REAL heatsink at that price.

Good luck!

303hydro

Veteran
Thanks for all the input guys. I bit the bullet and decided that I am going to test this out and replace my 1000w Dual Arc Systems with it for a harvest or tow in a 5x5 tent. I'll be posting a thread for sure. FYI there is an article in maximum yield about LEDs written by the lady who runs this company...

303hydro

Veteran
Well the 300w version that funk bomb suggested was $1600. Everything I have read still indicates more watts = more yields. ( this is 500w with 2w bulbs ) I've been running a dual arc super blue 1000w no CO2 and only pulling .4gph out of soil. ( approx 14oz ) for the light. I have seen LED grows pull .8 gpw + pretty often and that would actually increase my yield if I can hit that number.

I have two fans running in my system, and probably costs $60 a month in electricity. Lets say my system cost $400 with fans and everything and anther $100 a year to replace the bulbs.

This new light will only cost about $25 a month to run ( saving over $300 per year ) and I expect it will run 3 years before the power supply goes out. ( saving another $100 a year on bulbs )

We will see what happens, I figure its worth a shot.

G

Guest 18340

303hydro, with all due respect brother ( I mean that sincerely), I highly doubt that the mere switching from your 1000w to L.E.D. will be the magic bullet that doubles your current yields.
However, I do look forward to hearing about/seeing the results of your switch.

Last edited:

303hydro

Veteran
I didn't say it would double my yield. At best, I'm hoping it maybe can double my current gram per watt which would be the same yield as I am getting now with my 1000w Hortilux super blue dual arc bulb. I'm only pulling 14 oz off one light in soil and no CO2 (7plants)( I got about 17oz when running the hortilux super hps fyi) so we will see if I can hit the .8gram per watt mark with the same method as many have with LEDs in flower. Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated I know when I tell my friends they will laugh at me but with summer coming in a non air conditioned house I will be smiles as long as quality doesn't get lost.

G

Guest 18340

My bad, I thought you were comparing your .4 yield to the .8 yield others get with an LED.
Goodluck.
evl

LetsSeeYa

All good Evlme, I am still probably dreaming lol.

Your not dreaming man, you might need to change growing methods imo. My first run was a bust, because i didn't really do much as far as fim/top or any LST. But next go round will be a scrog, which i think i will get a very nice yield. My lights are in a smaller tent then your thinking of growing in, but I KNOW il hit at least .7 to .9 gpw or more. You can see the spec's on my lights in the last page, but the other bar has more of a full spectrum. And both are customized as the other has far red, red and blue. I am running the full light now to re veg a few an start seedlings, but the seedlings need to be 3' 6'' away or they start to fry. My re veg's are about 18'' away from the light.

I am just getting used to them, but have seen killer grows with them. I thought they were pricey at 450 a pop, until i saw what your putting out for that baby. But if it does what you like, money well spent!

Good luck bro and try a scrog at some point as the LEDs work great with this method. I have seen some nice grow logs using the scrog, but i just popped seeds and put them under the lights. I was to impatient and and got great quality, but the yield was poor. But this was all my bad, i could have vegged at least some and would have gotten more. Thing is, i wanted to see what they could do and man, LED growing rocks..........................

Man i have no ventilation at all, i only leave the tent open in the day time, but i am going to get something going to get them more fresh air and i need to scrub the smell. Check out the 3 headed monster i flowered with them in my album, they really did it well with a fine yield.

Good luck man,

LSY

OGsince03

I have a couple 90W ufo's.I used in flower but didnt see results like my 400w hps even with 2..I do however, recomend them for veg.I am using mine for veg due to lack of ventilation. I did a side by side clone experiment in veg, and flower. 2x90W UFO vs. 120w Floro in veg, then 2x90W UFO vs. 400w HPS. The UFO's did much better durring veg, but failed to deliver in flower. I have yet to try the 2 ufos vs MH, and I would imagine the MH would win hands down. If heat is a issue, go with ufos for veg. I dont advise the use of LED, UNLESS u have time and money to experiment..I do know that the specific nm that the plants use is up for debate still. I would recommend not buying any without the use of Bridge Lux blue diodes. The canopy penetration will very upon the diode itself. The ones I have, are 120 Dagree white in the middle, and then blue and red mixed. The blue and red are 90dagree lenses and penetrate better than the 120. The white 120's I am assuming are to better mix and blend the light. Hope this helps bring some insight to u and others, especially the ones on here who alwayz have a comment to make about something they know nothing about.
Keep Growing
Stay Safe
OG-

Oldmac

Looks Chinese, couldn't find much info on it..I've seen those kind of LED lights in action, and wasn't impressed whatsoever.. especially for the price.

These are the two LEDs that I think may be worth getting:

Lumigro es330:
http://www.lumigrow.com/products/es-330-led-grow-light/

I haven't seen anyone using this one yet, but it looks like it has some potential:
TI Smartbar
http://www.theoremeinnovation.com/sb-presentation-en.html

I have setup a couple of years ago 4 TI SmartBars (2x 2SB) over propagation trays for grape vines used in viticulture. They work great for that deal, 2 bars per 4' sq trays.

I purchased 2 of the TI ProBlooms in July of '08, they were pre-production units. I had to prove to a partner they would work, so did a side by side with his 1000w HPS. Two TI 330w each (660w total) could match production of his HPS (1150w total) by my using SOG size plants vs his bushes. The LED's don't have the light penertration of HPS, but can produce a better finished product.

Currently in our partnered grow, one "fogfognugen" aero/fog setup (2- 4'sq trays) each tray has 2 TI problooms on light rails, and produces abt equal wgt and product to another setup that has 1- 1000w PSMH over each tray. We would have gone the TI probloom route for that one, but we never seemed to have another $5,000+ in one lump at one time.

OM

Latest posts

Latest posts