What's new

My DIY Wal-Mart bubble cloner

242cubes

Hello gentlemen, I'm just getting into growing, first batch of seeds are still in the mail.

I thought I would post my DIY bubble cloner, feel free to comment with any suggestions.

picture.php

It is made of 3x tubs, they are advertised "airtight & watertight", and have markings on the side indicating 8L, I would assume that each tub holds about 9ish liters filled to the brim. I found these at Canadian Tire (not sure where you could find these in the US).

picture.php

It is divided into 3 sections, the top for lighting, middle for the cuttings themselves and the lower water/airstones. I have a small airpump/stone kit, and fish tank heater both from Wal-Mart.

picture.php

The middle is turned upside down, bottom cut out, and glued to a lid.

picture.php

The top is lined with foil tape inside, 2x 26w 6500k CFL's, one 80mm pc fan and AC/DC adapter. The fan exhausts out of the top and the intake is cut along the bottom (top) of the tub, drawing cool air over the bulbs. The fan easily keeps the plastic lid from even getting warm at all, its totally cool to the touch.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I am testing the unit right now, the cutting area maintains a temperature of about 74-77F, 75-85% humidity in my very cold and dry basement (60-65F >20%RH).

The bottom 2 tubs will be made light proof, and I have yet to decide how I will hold the cuttings in the lid. But I have plenty of time to figure the details before I take my first round of clones.

I realize the intake/exhaust leak light, but in my application this won't matter at all, I've also toyed with idea of leaving the front face of the middle tub clear, as a sort of "viewing window" just because it looks cool. I plan to run 24/0 for light schedule and could easily attach a velcro blind for the window.

Questions:

Has anyone used these small cheap airstones before? I've heard stories of airstones dissolving, I do plan on just using plain tapwater.

is 52 watts too much light for my cuttings? the lid dulls the light considerably.

How often do you typically change the water in a unit like this?

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

F

feral

cut your lights. the less the better. I use a 11 watt cfl (3500K) at 18 inches above my bubbler.
I've never had a stone dissolve but thats me. Can't say it can't happen.
I change my water about every 3-4 days, but again that's my preference. Some change weekly, some not at all.
If I can find the bubble thread I'll post the link. lots of answers available in it

Talonted

use drip clean from house and garden if you're using tap water. you wont get algae build up on your stems. i used RO water and still got goo untill i used drip clean!!

242cubes

I can easily remove one of the 26w lights, or even step down to one 13w. I'll look into the drip clean. I've read that hydrogen peroxide also serves to prevent algae growth.

Today I took a cutting from a small grapefruit tree growing as a houseplant. since this is only a test run, I plan on leaving the tubs clear, adding something to the reservoir to deal with algae, and just see what happens.

This cloner will feed a micro sog setup inside a dr40, 150w HPS with DIY cooltube.