Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

Thread Title Search    
Click for Hydro Grow LEDs!
 Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
cortez

cortez is on a distinguished road
Step by step bubble cloner set up (good for newb cloners)

Hey everyone! I've put together a step by step, easy to follow tutorial on how to assemble a bubble cloner and have it up and running in 15 minutes!Now go get your materials(I got everything at wal-mart) -{aquarium pump...silicone tubing for the pump...rubbermaid shoe box w/lid...7 inch bubble wand w/ suction cups...pool noodle or neoprene pipe wrap (for clone plugs)(I use backer rod)...cordless drill...1/4" drill bit...1"stepper bit or hole saw} i've used a clear tub here for illustrative purposes.use a black tub or blacken the outside with spray paint or another material.roots hate light
Lay out and drill your holes(use 1/4" drill bit first,be gentle)
Drill 1/4" hole for the tube and a vent hole on the opposite side
Next suction the bubble wand directly under where the large holes are located
Fill the container with luke warm tap water.
Fill to this level
Cut your tube to the length required and pull it through the hole
Hook your tube up to the pump.Plug it in and presto!...It needs clones now!!
Here is the wand in action.Nice gentle bubbles is what you want.
This mother needs a barber...me!!!
Here goes 4 Jack herer's
The backer rod i use is over sized for the holes. I make a cut half way through for the stem
cut the stems(scalpel)angled and so they submerge 1/2"
Load up the rest and in no time you will show roots
Like this.This is an ak-47 clone rooted in 7 days
Here's another view of optimum stem level
And another

I find the best thing to do is nothing at all.LEAVE EM ALONE. No nutes,no rooting aids, indirect light only.Don't worry about blacking out your container.There is no difference.Remember a plant's worst enemy is man!!!! p.s I transplant(to coco soil mix) when tap roots develop side shoots.. Hope this helps!!!...........Cortez
cortez jest offline   Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
frater_indo

frater_indo is on a distinguished road
Right on time

Big time props for posting this cortez!

I haven't been having any success with traditional cloning methods and was wanting to do this exact thing for my next grow, and now I know how. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
minds_I
Mufflover Extraordinaire

minds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond repute
Hello,

Well done.

I would like to mention I have simillar results without the stems being submerged-just above the waterline being misted from the bubbles popping.

I would also like to mention that temperature plays a very important roll. I don't know from being to hot to root but if you don't keep it 72*F or above the root growth slowed or stopped. Least for me.

minds_I
"And it's agreed that there's a need to play the game and to win again"
"Here's to cigarettes, whisky and wild wild women"
"Sometimes, it is more pleasing to want a thing then to have it."
"Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.
"Teach the children quietly for someday sons and daughters will rise up and fight where we stood still"
"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. T, Jefferson"
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ~ Tim Minchin
minds_I jest offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #4
cortez

frater indo and minds I- Thanks for the positive feedback.I'm a long time OG'er who would be in the stone age of growing if it wasn't for web sites like these.There is no such thing as too much information.I feel compelled too give back to the cause that has helped me so much on growing this plant...Anyhoooo!!I have gone through the gambit of cloning.Peat pellets, humidity domes, rockwool and trays with daily mistings... geesh what a pain!! This simple stupid system has '1' mechanically moving part(the $15 pump)If it fails ... get a new one!!.Mines been running for 3 years.Minds I,i don't think there is to much difference on water stem depth i think it is good discipline to keep them submerged because the water provides oxygen and a benificial antisceptic air block from airborne pathogens.I have had 2 clones die on me in 3 years.This is out of .... hmmm...many!. So almost 100% success on rooting.This is a low tech,cheap and highly effective tool.I have never had a problem with temps.Although an aquarium heater accessory would solve any cold temp issues....Ithink a side by side of temp controlled and not temp controlled is in order...Commin up folkes!!! oh yeah i almost forgot. Minds I.. i like a trim racing stripe muff!!!! Cortez

Last edited by cortez; 04-08-2006 at 04:16 AM..

Old 04-08-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
frater_indo

frater_indo is on a distinguished road
Would a submerisble fish-tank heater be of use to those of us living in cooler weather?

I was just starting out at OG when it went down. Luckily I was there long enough to learn how to build a grow box with good lighting and ventilation.

Last edited by frater_indo; 04-08-2006 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: typological errors
frater_indo jest offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
cortez

Hey frater! Yeah man like i say,i've never had a problem with temps,but a heater will furthermore boost your odd's to 100%(imho).I'm off too wal-mart in the morning too get a whole new kit with the heater for a side by side... should be interesting??? if dialed in with some experimentation the heater could prove to be a valuable time saving measure...People this system is basic non patented, bare-bones technology out there for anyone too improve on. But keep in mind that plants and technology follow very different time paths!

Last edited by cortez; 04-08-2006 at 06:27 AM..

Old 04-08-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
mtf-shaman
green eyed lady

mtf-shaman will become famous soon enough
very nice little cloner you got there, kudos.....

i have been building 2" netpot bubble cloners and just love the ease of use
mtf-shaman jest offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
RuralRoute420

RuralRoute420 will become famous soon enough

i just got my first 100% rate with bubbler from wal****.

-i use the 7 1/2watt aquarium heater from there in between my bubble wands. it keeps my water @ a nice 81'F. roots love warm water.

-i keep mine submerged, get them in 10days, i'm not sure how much this REALLY matters.

-if you have problems with not rooting, try splitting the bottom of stem, works for me.

-low light - 13 watts

Last edited by RuralRoute420; 04-08-2006 at 06:36 AM..
RuralRoute420 jest offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
cortez

frater:I just caught your edit...OG and IC are to blame for my 4 plant perpetual grow that i can proudly say that i grow for myself.Like a lot of us here.We grow for ourselves too bypass the draconian laws of mj prohibition.IF you are watching leo....shame on you!!! IN the minutes you have just "wasted" watching these sites you could have shut down a meth lab or caught a vicious rapist that just raped your wife!!! and maybe serve and protect like your supposed too.But no the lazy small plant grower is far too important!!!!FUCK OFF AND FILL THE JAILS WITH THE SCUM THAT DESERVES TO BE IN A PRISON!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cortez; 04-08-2006 at 07:52 AM..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #10
cortez

I'm sorry i had to get that off my chest!!!!Enough said.Had to vent!!!...ummmm back on topic.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:14 AM   #11
cortez

rr420-- If ya stick with this thread we will find out what temps are optimal for rooting.... hmmm one tub at ambient and one tub at increased temp...Lets get it on!!!!

Last edited by cortez; 04-08-2006 at 07:27 AM..

Old 04-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #12
BagseedSamurai
100% Compliant

BagseedSamurai is just really niceBagseedSamurai is just really niceBagseedSamurai is just really niceBagseedSamurai is just really niceBagseedSamurai is just really nice
Are you using some sort of rockwool to hold the stems? I dont understand.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #13
cortez

Bagseed- if you dont have access to the plug materials rockwool will work just fine.fiberglass insulation will work also.roll it up the way it naturally wants to roll and trim it too size with scissors.fiberglass and rockwool are inert and since you are not using nutes or other bacterial causing agents(and daily water change) will not promote nasties.This system is very vesatille.

Last edited by cortez; 04-08-2006 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #14
RuralRoute420

RuralRoute420 will become famous soon enough

cortez - was just stating what i did to get 100%, no RW, no rooting hormones, just cutting and RO water. so our systems differ slightly. pretty new to bubbler and cloning in general. i just drilled holes and stuck them in.

QUESTION: since the clones like rooting in higher temps (above 72'F, this we know) they now have root starts, when should you drop the temps to 68'F for optimal DO uptake?

how soon do you hit them with nutes after starts appear?

Last edited by RuralRoute420; 04-08-2006 at 08:00 AM..
RuralRoute420 jest offline   Quote

Old 04-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #15
BACKCOUNTRY
Mourning the loss of my dog......

BACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond reputeBACKCOUNTRY has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread! I've used a OG 10K style aero-cloner for over 3 years now.

I find that a aquarium heater used with a timer is a necessity most all the time for me. Remember that optimum water temp is 75F-85F, well above room temp in most folks houses.

I've not yet seen a cloner that uses plugs in that way, great idea! My first cloner used 1/2" vinyl tubes to hold the cuts, my current one uses 1/4" tubes.

I've had good luck with the stems submerged or above the water, I prefer the former.

A few pics of mine-

Last edited by BACKCOUNTRY; 04-08-2006 at 08:27 AM..
BACKCOUNTRY jest offline   Quote